Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rural properties - how to find?

Rural properties - how to find?

Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Voxers is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rural properties - how to find?

Hi there

I'm new to posting on this site, though I have lurked here and read a lot of useful info (thank you!) since arriving in NZ in October last year from the UK.

My husband, dog and I are currently renting in Rotorua but want to move to renting a more rural property for various reasons - but my question is: how do you find these houses?

We're looking for a 3 bed house (a farmhouse probably) with some land for our mutt and a veggie garden in a small community, but real estate agents don't seem to have these types of properties on their books. Trade Me and Trade Exchange don't seem to have anything on a regular basis either - I've kept an eye on these websites, as well as the real estate agents' sites, for a few months now - but nothing.

Is it a question of going to a township, finding the local shop and seeing if we can put an advert up in there? Other than this, I'm stumped as to ways of finding out how these houses become available. I know they're out there, I just can't get my mitts on one! Any help would be gratefully received, thank you.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:24 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural properties - how to find?

Register with the local agent or shout loud enough for Amloolah, who will provide you with the info you require.........
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:32 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voxers
Hi there

I'm new to posting on this site, though I have lurked here and read a lot of useful info (thank you!) since arriving in NZ in October last year from the UK.

My husband, dog and I are currently renting in Rotorua but want to move to renting a more rural property for various reasons - but my question is: how do you find these houses?

We're looking for a 3 bed house (a farmhouse probably) with some land for our mutt and a veggie garden in a small community, but real estate agents don't seem to have these types of properties on their books. Trade Me and Trade Exchange don't seem to have anything on a regular basis either - I've kept an eye on these websites, as well as the real estate agents' sites, for a few months now - but nothing.

Is it a question of going to a township, finding the local shop and seeing if we can put an advert up in there? Other than this, I'm stumped as to ways of finding out how these houses become available. I know they're out there, I just can't get my mitts on one! Any help would be gratefully received, thank you.
Hi & welcome to BE.
The RE agents in Whakatane often have more rural properties listed, as you say try going to some of the smaller towns to check out agents and also look in local papers...Whakatane Beacon usually has rental props listed in classified (can get online...google). Not sure how far out of Rotorua you want to be but you might have some luck with above suggestions.
HTH
B x
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:58 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Voxcers and welcome to BE.

Are you searching for the right thing? You need to search under "lifestyle" and/or "rural" as oppossed to "residential."

(Click on the highlights words and these will bring you to the basic Trade Me search I used.)

HTH
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Voxers. We're also living in Rotorua .

I know the rural areas between Rotorua & Taupo quite well, including Waikite Valley, Rerewhakaaitu & Reporoa......of course I don't know if you're actually looking at those areas, you might be heading further out than that, but you can quite easily find some nice rural properties for sale in those areas. There's a few advertised in the property guide with this weekend's Daily Post. It's worth checking that out for ideas & prices .

Good luck with finding somewhere you like.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

definately not looking in the right place.
any search on trade me for lifestyle or rural brings up plenty.
Over 1300 in waikato alone
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

But are those rentals, which is what the OP is looking for?

Kristina
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Hello and thanks for all your replies.

Yes, it's rental properties we're looking for - believe me, if I were in a position to buy, there would be no worries finding a place (I too have drooled over pics on Trade Me) but unfortunately that's not the case. I'll look into the suggestions made re the local real estate agents and local papers, thank you.

(On a separate note, I do wish people would read OPs or whole threads properly before replying, especially when what they write implies that I'm a complete idiot).
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:25 pm

Try calling Pauline at Rotorua Rentals, she and her husband Richard are Directors of the company. Say Caroline Phillips from Phillips Properties in Tauranga who she met at the Property Management Conference in October recommended you try them. It might be worth a try, or she might say "who?!"
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:28 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that does happen in NZ is that people go out and about and often drive up to peoples houses and ask if they want to sale it !!! strange but it does go on, we found our place whilst we were driving around, ok it did have a for sale board up and we were lucky to be there as an open home was on, go search the area you want, stop and talk to locals, they are in the know.

Good luck with your rural find, we found ours and love it.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and thanks for all your replies.
(On a separate note, I do wish people would read OPs or whole threads properly before replying, especially when what they write implies that I'm a complete idiot).
Nobody is implying anything of the sort.
I could have asked a couple of friends who are
property managers here in waikato but i would hate
to offend you again.
good luck with your search

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 26th 2010 at 11:21 am.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

So you're getting narked because you didn't read my thread properly and replied inappropriately (i.e. nothing to do with rentals, and were quite short and sharp with your reply) and I called you on it? Tbh, if this is an example of how people in Waikato are, I don't think I want to live there anyway.

Wish I hadn't bothered posting. Thanks to those who replied helpfully and with relevance, but I don't think I'll be coming back here again.

Last edited by Voxers; Apr 26th 2010 at 7:03 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:37 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

So you're getting narked because you didn't read my thread properly and replied inappropriately (i.e. nothing to do with rentals, and were quite short and sharp with your reply) and I called you on it? Tbh, if this is an example of how people in Waikato are, I don't think I want to live there anyway.

Wish I hadn't bothered posting. Thanks to those who replied helpfully and with relevance, but I don't think I'll be coming back here again.
Voxers....have sent you a pm.
B x
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:43 pm

Hi Voxers,

Over time you get used to different poster's styles of posting, which is much harder than having a face to face conversation as you don't have any facial expressions or intonations to help you decipher.

What also happens a lot, and I was guilty of it on this thread too, is mis reading or mis understanding a question. We are all human and all juggling with jelly after all.

I hope you find a suitable rental and if you do have any questions I hope you come back and try again.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:19 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Voxers,

We are all human and all juggling with jelly after all.

Love that expression. Did you make it up or is it from somewhere?

WP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.