Rural Broadband

Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:52 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice
Default Rural Broadband

Hi,

We're in the process of buying a property at Whakamarama just outside of Tauranga and are investigating broadband. We're currently in Queenstown using Xtra but have been told that we will be too far away from the exchange to continue with them when we move.

Can anyone recommend a rural broadband provider? (We need a highspeed connection (not dial up) as we both run businesses from home!) I know there are a few companies out there but just wondered if anyone has had any experience?
Thanks

PS - Not wanting to sound like a whinging Pom but we thought moving out of the rural South Island services would be better up North!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rural Broadband

Originally Posted by chelsey
Hi,

We're in the process of buying a property at Whakamarama just outside of Tauranga and are investigating broadband. We're currently in Queenstown using Xtra but have been told that we will be too far away from the exchange to continue with them when we move.

Can anyone recommend a rural broadband provider? (We need a highspeed connection (not dial up) as we both run businesses from home!) I know there are a few companies out there but just wondered if anyone has had any experience?
Thanks

PS - Not wanting to sound like a whinging Pom but we thought moving out of the rural South Island services would be better up North!
AFAIK, if Telecom (xtra) can't do it then it can't be done... the problem is with the cabling and the exchanges, not the ISP itself... I think that the other ISPs rent the lines/space from Telecom...
The only other option is Telstra Clear, but I believe that they are only doing Wellington and ChCh at the moment - laying their own cable. Or satellite options???
Hopefully someone with a bit more techie knowledge than me can help you out further.

PS another reason to have stayed in the best island
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:03 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apple12
AFAIK, if Telecom (xtra) can't do it then it can't be done... the problem is with the cabling and the exchanges, not the ISP itself... I think that the other ISPs rent the lines/space from Telecom...
The only other option is Telstra Clear, but I believe that they are only doing Wellington and ChCh at the moment - laying their own cable. Or satellite options???
Hopefully someone with a bit more techie knowledge than me can help you out further.

PS another reason to have stayed in the best island
Thanks for this! My OH has found and spoken to Wireless Nation who can do it through satellite and they offer the best package which doesn't seem to cost the earth! So fingers crossed we will be up and running as soon as we move in!

PS I know its the best island but there's only so much Christmas shopping you can do in Queenstown!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this! My OH has found and spoken to Wireless Nation who can do it through satellite and they offer the best package which doesn't seem to cost the earth! So fingers crossed we will be up and running as soon as we move in!

PS I know its the best island but there's only so much Christmas shopping you can do in Queenstown!

How much is wireless internet, we're going to need it on our lifestyle block cos of the electric fences preventing us getting it any other way.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:17 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
How much is wireless internet, we're going to need it on our lifestyle block cos of the electric fences preventing us getting it any other way.
sky, are you sure ? We have electric fences all over the place on our farm - and right round the house - and it doesnt affect our broadband at all. We just have bogstandard broadband through igrin.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this! My OH has found and spoken to Wireless Nation who can do it through satellite and they offer the best package which doesn't seem to cost the earth!
Be aware that the latencies via satellite are huge (it takes the best part of a second to bounce data from the US). This means that online gaming is out, and VoIP (e.g. Skype) is dreadful.

There are other Wireless ISPs that don't use satellites (e.g. here).

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kt0157
Be aware that the latencies via satellite are huge (it takes the best part of a second to bounce data from the US). This means that online gaming is out, and VoIP (e.g. Skype) is dreadful.

There are other Wireless ISPs that don't use satellites (e.g. here).

K.
Thanks K. Unfortunately we can't get wirelessas as we're too far away from the exchange so its dial up or sattellite. We'll just have to put up with the delay - I'd rather that than live somewhere else! Hopefully the technology might catch up when rural NZ catches up!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks K. Unfortunately we can't get wirelessas as we're too far away from the exchange so its dial up or sattellite. We'll just have to put up with the delay - I'd rather that than live somewhere else! Hopefully the technology might catch up when rural NZ catches up!
I'd take satellite over dial-up any day! Since online gaming and VoIP are useless over dial-up too, you're not missing anything.

There are two types of satellite, by the way. A two-way link (where your dish transmits to the satellite), and one-way (where you use dial-up to talk to the net, and your dish to receive). Look for the former, not the latter.

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:56 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
I'd take satellite over dial-up any day! Since online gaming and VoIP are useless over dial-up too, you're not missing anything.

There are two types of satellite, by the way. A two-way link (where your dish transmits to the satellite), and one-way (where you use dial-up to talk to the net, and your dish to receive). Look for the former, not the latter.

K.
So do I need Satellite not wireless now I'm confused I thought they were one and the same.
We def can't get internet through the phone lines pixi dust, our neighbours on the next block to us have had real problems and gave up in the end.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 10:21 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
We def can't get internet through the phone lines pixi dust, our neighbours on the next block to us have had real problems and gave up in the end.
bummer.