British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Running... Running... Running... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/running-running-running-624586/)

Matewx Aug 9th 2009 1:35 am

Running... Running... Running...

Hey guys!

As you know I will enter the Auckland's Half Marathon on 1st November...

Then I thought why just one...

So next weekend, I'll run the Vulcanoes Challenge & on November 29th the ADRA Charity Run on Mission bay/Tamaki Drive...

There's also the Waitakere 11K run on Oct 11th... Not sure yet about this one...

Then there's the Sydney Running Festival on Sept 20th that i'd love to go to... But for that we need OH to find a job so we have some more money to dash...

Any runners on here?

Am Loolah Aug 9th 2009 3:26 am

Re: Running... Running... Running...

Goodness me, is it healthy to be doing that many?!:eek: Good on you for getting on with it. I enjoyed myself so much at the Taupo half marathon that I am signing up for Hamilton on the 4th October. The Auckland one has sold out for entries so I can't amble along in your wake this time ... :(

Really fancy the look of Tough Guys and Gals but again already sold out. Maybe we can get a BE team together to raise money for my Bollinger Fund next time?

Good luck.:thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 9th 2009 4:10 am

I've just entered the Auckland 1/4 run on the 1st :eek:. I plan to walk most of it as I'm not a runner. Plus if I ran with my boobs I'm likely to knock the earth off it's axis :scaredhair: Need to get in some sort of training now.

Matewx you sound like a sucker for punishment.

sary Aug 9th 2009 5:00 am

I've entered the Moro Half Marathon in Dunedin a week after I arrive :blink:
I thought having a focus other than the move would make life seem more 'normal'!!!

Then a few weeks later I am going to do a 10k at Outram http://www.hillfree.co.nz/ It might say the route is hill free but I'll have to cycle over some flipping big hills to get there! :thumbsup:

All looking towards Challenge Wanaka Half http://www.challenge-wanaka.com/half.html in January - :eek:

Matewx Aug 9th 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7825994)
The Auckland one has sold out for entries so I can't amble along in your wake this time ... :(

You could do the 1/4 like Vitalstatistix... :unsure:

Really fancy the look of Tough Guys and Gals but again already sold out.

Have you checked the video?? Nah too dirty for me... Dont mind sweating but mud is a NO NO! :frown:

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7826071)
I've just entered the Auckland 1/4 run on the 1st :eek:. I plan to walk most of it as I'm not a runner. Plus if I ran with my boobs I'm likely to knock the earth off it's axis :scaredhair: Need to get in some sort of training now.

You should come n train with moi on Tuesdays... I go n do the night runs at Adidas shop in Newmarket... Come come it's fun (even under the rain!!) :thumbup:

Matewx you sound like a sucker for punishment.

What are you trying to say??:sneaky:

nero Aug 9th 2009 6:25 am

2 Attachment(s)

Really fancy the look of Tough Guys and Gals but again already sold out. Maybe we can get a BE team together to raise money for my Bollinger Fund next time?

Good luck.:thumbsup:

You should deffinately do this one - we did this last year and it was a good laugh. We went down and did the Rotorua one, which by all accounts is a little more challenging than the new Auckland one :)

nero Aug 9th 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7825876)
Hey guys!

As you know I will enter the Auckland's Half Marathon on 1st November...

Then I thought why just one...

So next weekend, I'll run the Vulcanoes Challenge & on November 29th the ADRA Charity Run on Mission bay/Tamaki Drive...

There's also the Waitakere 11K run on Oct 11th... Not sure yet about this one...

Then there's the Sydney Running Festival on Sept 20th that i'd love to go to... But for that we need OH to find a job so we have some more money to dash...

Any runners on here?

Good luck with all these runs :thumbsup: If you want to enjoy running off road instead of along tarmac you should check out the Xterra runs. Here are their websites

http://www.totalsport.co.nz/events/run/index.php

http://www.xterranz.com/

Matewx Aug 9th 2009 6:34 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 7826261)
Good luck with all these runs :thumbsup: If you want to enjoy running off road instead of along tarmac you should check out the Xterra runs. Here are their websites

http://www.totalsport.co.nz/events/run/index.php

http://www.xterranz.com/

I thought about them but.... Need a car to get there n stuff it all of a sudden becomes a tad complicated...

So I'll stick to locals...

Am Loolah Aug 9th 2009 9:37 am

Good for you ... you'll love it. I walked Taupo Half and loads were. I intend to run/jog the Hamilton one. Good luck. Is it your first foray in to these events?:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7826208)
Have you checked the video?? Nah too dirty for me... Dont mind sweating but mud is a NO NO! :frown:

I thought we could get down and dirty together? No?!:sneaky:

Originally Posted by nero (Post 7826253)
You should deffinately do this one - we did this last year and it was a good laugh. We went down and did the Rotorua one, which by all accounts is a little more challenging than the new Auckland one :)

Cool, you've done it. I sooo fancy the look of this. Answer me this though, did you get terrible blisters because of running through water and mud?:eek:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 9th 2009 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7826513)
Good for you ... you'll love it. I walked Taupo Half and loads were. I intend to run/jog the Hamilton one. Good luck. Is it your first foray in to these events?:thumbsup:

I did the Anlene 5k Devonport challenge earlier this year. I walked most of the way & ran a bit but I was walking with a friend who has a dodgy knee & so he couldn't do too much running. I plan to start some training at the gym today, as I don't want to disgrace myself. :D I shall be buying loads of sports bras when I head to Blighty next week :eek:

nero Aug 9th 2009 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7826513)
Cool, you've done it. I sooo fancy the look of this. Answer me this though, did you get terrible blisters because of running through water and mud?:eek:

No blisters - just need to gaffa tape your boots / shoes on else they get lost in the mud. Alot of people go in fancy dress and basically go to have a laugh and raise some cash for local charities. As a group we managed to raise a $1,000 for Starship Childrens Hospital :thumbsup:

lardyl Aug 10th 2009 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7827420)
I did the Anlene 5k Devonport challenge earlier this year. I walked most of the way & ran a bit but I was walking with a friend who has a dodgy knee & so he couldn't do too much running. I plan to start some training at the gym today, as I don't want to disgrace myself. :D I shall be buying loads of sports bras when I head to Blighty next week :eek:

Monday nights in Orewa at the SLSC there is a fun run with plenty of other people of mixed abilities that goes around the town. I think it all kicks off around 6 or 7 but never been myself as I get plenty of cardio doing sport through the rest of the week :-) .... and "club running" (the off road part I hasten to add) was what did my knee the first time :(

Rustie Aug 10th 2009 4:11 am

I was tempted by the ¼ Auckland one, but 6:45AM!!!! :blink: Blimey, i only thought that existed at the end of a good night out not the beginning of the day! :rofl:

I used to run but have been a bit of a jelly belly over the winter and haven't done a bit of exercise until Saturday when i did my first walk/run and plan to continue :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 10th 2009 5:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7827914)
Monday nights in Orewa at the SLSC there is a fun run with plenty of other people of mixed abilities that goes around the town. I think it all kicks off around 6 or 7 but never been myself as I get plenty of cardio doing sport through the rest of the week :-) .... and "club running" (the off road part I hasten to add) was what did my knee the first time :(

Monday night is my tap dancing class, so not able to do that. My PT is sorting me out a training schedule, which could go pear-shaped whilst in the UK for 4 weeks.

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 10th 2009 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Rustie (Post 7828030)
I was tempted by the ¼ Auckland one, but 6:45AM!!!! :blink: Blimey, i only thought that existed at the end of a good night out not the beginning of the day! :rofl:

I used to run but have been a bit of a jelly belly over the winter and haven't done a bit of exercise until Saturday when i did my first walk/run and plan to continue :thumbsup:

I used to have to be in work in Parnell at that time, so not a biggy for me.