Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rules re: employment of spouses

Rules re: employment of spouses

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rules re: employment of spouses

Assuming I get the permit to work in NZ and then move with the family, does it automatically follow that my wife has the right to work too, or does she have to apply seperately?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:38 am
Banned

ps_wardle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rules re: employment of spouses

Presuming you listed them on the EOI, then yes they should get to work there too......my partner is the principle applicant on our application & when we got ours through, i was allowed work too, i had no job offer etc, but yes, i now have the right asawell....no need for additional application.

Originally Posted by SteveDK
Assuming I get the permit to work in NZ and then move with the family, does it automatically follow that my wife has the right to work too, or does she have to apply seperately?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Rules re: employment of spouses

Originally Posted by ps_wardle
Presuming you listed them on the EOI, then yes they should get to work there too......my partner is the principle applicant on our application & when we got ours through, i was allowed work too, i had no job offer etc, but yes, i now have the right asawell....no need for additional application.
That´s great thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:11 am
Banned

you're welcome, have been through it, so know how many questions you have & will have, let me know if you need any help (i'm no expert, but we got our application granted, so might be able to help)

That´s great thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning on going to NZ as migrants (permanent residents) or as temporary entrants (work visa holders)?

Jeremy
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you planning on going to NZ as migrants (permanent residents) or as temporary entrants (work visa holders)?

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

Migrants, I guess - the job is a permanent position as far as I know. Does that make a difference to my wifes employment potential?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:58 am
Banned

no, whatever you get in the way of visas, she'll get....

Hi Jeremy

Migrants, I guess - the job is a permanent position as far as I know. Does that make a difference to my wifes employment potential?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ps_wardle
no, whatever you get in the way of visas, she'll get....
It can make a difference in that employers prefer to hire people with permanent visas rather than temporary.

Knowing whether your visa is going to be a permanent or a temporary is a pretty fundamental question to have the answer on, I would have thought.

If it's temporary are you clear about the disadvantages vs permanent residence and what happens if your job does not work out or you can't get PR.

Jeremy
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It can make a difference in that employers prefer to hire people with permanent visas rather than temporary.

Knowing whether your visa is going to be a permanent or a temporary is a pretty fundamental question to have the answer on, I would have thought.

If it's temporary are you clear about the disadvantages vs permanent residence and what happens if your job does not work out or you can't get PR.

Jeremy
Presumably if my job is defined as permanent then my visa will be too? Hopefully?!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Presumably if my job is defined as permanent then my visa will be too? Hopefully?!
It depends how you are applying. If you are applying for a Permanent Residency you will get a Permanent Residency Permit. If you are applying for a Work Permit you will get a Work Permit with a defined validity (either 1 year or two years, generally renewable). Thats what I had when I came across initially, and then I applied for Residency onshore. THe advantage is that a Work Permit may be quicker to get, but the disadvantage is that you dont get Permanent Residency.

With a Work Permit you (the applicant) may be tied to an employer. However, your spouse/partner gets an automatic unlimited (in terms of where she can work) work permit, valid for the same amount of time as yours. You have to put down her details when you apply and get the Work Permit Sticker in her passport.

I did not find "discrimination" against work permit holders vs Perm Residency holders when it came to applying for jobs. However, getting credit/ mortgages are easier if you have Perm Residency.

What are you applying for?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:11 am
JAJ
Retired

Never presume.

I've seen lots of cases in Australia where people have been hired for permanent jobs but only on temporary visas - a recipe for a total mess if they get made redundant or there's a death/illness/breakup in the family. Often the result is a one-way trip home.

You need to ask some questions about visas, spend a lot of time on http://www.immigration.govt.nz and if necessary get professional advice.

The only safe way to make a permanent move is with a permanent visa.

Jeremy
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was the principal applicant for a Work To Residency visa, when the visas came through hers specified she had to work in a particular position for a particular employer, my visa stated I could work for ANY employer in ANY position.

Rob