Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rules about duty-free when in transit

Rules about duty-free when in transit

Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Moosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the rough
Default Rules about duty-free when in transit

Hi all,

My boyfriend would like me to grab a bottle of port duty-free when I travel to NZ next week. I'm happy to do it, but I'm not sure what the rules are regarding duty-free when I'm on the non-stop flight from Heathrow to Auckland (NZ38 via Hong Kong) with a connecting flight to Christchurch (NZ525). I've done a quick search of previous threads but I'm still not sure I quite understand the rules...

Am I correct in thinking that I will not be able to buy it at Heathrow as it will be taken off me at the hand-baggage re-check at Hong Kong? If I buy in Hong Kong, will I then have it confiscated at Auckland because my final destination is actually Christchurch? Is my only option to wait until I am at Auckland to buy this bloody bottle of port??!

I'm a bit confused because I'm pretty sure that when I flew this route last time I actually went through customs in Auckland and collected my checked baggage before handing it straight back at a special desk for the connecting flight. The thing is, the bag was checked right through to Christchurch when I checked in at Heathrow, and so no new labels were put on it in Auckland (and I'd have had to destroy the existing ones to open the bag). Not sure what the implications of this are for duty-free purchases!

Any thoughts much appreciated! Merci beaucoup.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rules about duty-free when in transit

I think you'll be OK if you but in HK. The flight from AKL to CHC is domestic so doesn't have the same restrictions on liquids gels etc. Definitely don't buy in London.
DF in AKL is very good, so you could just do it there. Not sure how much port they sell though
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:03 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I enquired about duty free when the inlaws came over last November and was told it had to be purchased from the last port of call. You should be able to purchase duty free at Auckland. You don't need to destroy labels, just put it in your hand luggage.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Moosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the replies - very helpful! I shall buy in Auckland then. Added advantage that I'll only have to worry about breaking it on one flight! (Not having so much luck with glass recently...one tumbler and one bowl smashed this evening...)
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Here's the dutyfree website for NZ for you to check the cost of port, that way if it's cheaper at Heathrow (probably not!), or Hong Kong (likely!), you can buy there instead!

http://www.regency.co.nz/aryana/index.cfm
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to post something similar in a few weeks time Moosette, so thanks

We are travelling to UK via Singapore, we have an overnight stopover in Singapore, so do I buy the duty-free in Singapore or when we arrive in Manchester? I was thinking of taking one of our fave NZ wines with us for my parents. I take it this is a no-goer
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:12 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

We are travelling to UK via Singapore, we have an overnight stopover in Singapore, so do I buy the duty-free in Singapore or when we arrive in Manchester? I was thinking of taking one of our fave NZ wines with us for my parents. I take it this is a no-goer
I don't think there is anything to stop you buying a bottle of NZ wine here and putting it in your suitcase.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

Buy the wine in NZ and stick it in your hold luggage, liquid rules only count for carry on...

duty free carry in they will give you a sealed bag and put the drink in that will then get scanned and you can continue to carry it. Works in Singapore and hk anyway,,