British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rugby World Cup - places to stay in AKl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rugby-world-cup-places-stay-akl-714656/)

Joshlin Apr 26th 2011 9:28 am

Rugby World Cup - places to stay in AKl

Hey all - time to pick some brains - we are in chch and as you will know we have lost our local games due to the earthquake. We are looking at our options for attending replacement games and we are considering coming up to akl for the 1/4 finals - cost may end up being prohibitive but...... can people in the know suggest areas that we could look at for accommodation - there will be 4 adults and 2 children, happy to consider all forms of accommodation but do not know akl at all. want somewhere within easy travel distance of eden park but close enough for other stuff for us girls to do :-) cheers all

BEVS Apr 26th 2011 9:56 am

Re: Rugby World Cup - places to stay in AKl

We have been trying to sort out and afford the exact same thing and to be honest I don't think that we can.We have contacted RWC, Air NZ and the Minister for the RWCdirect to no avai & with no answer really.

Costs for just the 2 of us for air tickets are around $1000 . Ferry isn't any different when we consider unpaid leave from work.

I don't see anything helpful being announced at all. :thumbdown:

Bo-Jangles Apr 26th 2011 12:02 pm

There's are some website where people are renting out their homes (or at least hoping to). Trouble is they're not thinking of travelling 'locals' and are aiming at the very highest end tourist market, charging top dollar for their places. Some ridiculous prices are being quoted with one CBD hotel said to be asking for minimum of ten night bookings at $1700 per night.

Examples here of people asking $1400 per week for a one bedroom sleepout to $6300 for a three bedroom house in Pakuranga (10kms from Eden Park)

http://www.stayinnz.com/

Honestly doubt that you will find anything reasonable nearby, as making a fast buck has been the main name of the game since day one and quite frankly I hope the Robin Barstewards don't get a single cent. It's apparently cheaper to stay in Australia and fly in and out for a game and I have heard that many people will be doing this. Perhaps another option depending on game times (I've no idea) would be to stay maybe somewhere around Hamilton or even further out and drive in from there.

chippy64 Apr 26th 2011 5:03 pm

1000% mark up and you don't even get your own bathroom! It was $31.43 a night if you stayed for 3 weeks minimum. It has been increased to $350 per night with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities! Oh and thats for a single! :thumbdown:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10721386

Am Loolah Apr 26th 2011 11:38 pm

Same thing happened when we lived in Cornwall and had the total eclipse.:confused: It happens here at the Mount over New Years. It always happens. I agree with previous poster, stay somewhere out of Auckland and drive in. It might be a bugger to drive out again afterwards but if it makes it affordable then :thumbup:

Joshlin Apr 27th 2011 7:02 am

cheers for that guys - ever the hopeful :) - I was looking at some holiday homes on waiheke island that don't seem to have put prices up (....yet) - how easy is that travel - I saw that they were putting extra ferries on during the cup - but am I being completely unrealistic

Bo-Jangles Apr 27th 2011 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin (Post 9328854)
cheers for that guys - ever the hopeful :) - I was looking at some holiday homes on waiheke island that don't seem to have put prices up (....yet) - how easy is that travel - I saw that they were putting extra ferries on during the cup - but am I being completely unrealistic

No way unrealistic, it would be very doable and a really good option provided you can get yourself on a ferry: they run very frequently and quite late into the night too. It's only 45 mins to CBD Ferry Terminal and you could bus or walk from there. Actually I would say with crowds of people moving into and around Auckland it would be the perfect options of getting to CBD, only risky bit is the weather at that time if its a bit wet and wild.

BEVS Apr 27th 2011 8:25 am

How are you planning to get to Auckland though:confused:

P18PPS Apr 27th 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9328931)
No way unrealistic, it would be very doable and a really good option provided you can get yourself on a ferry: they run very frequently and quite late into the night too. It's only 45 mins to CBD Ferry Terminal and you could bus or walk from there. Actually I would say with crowds of people moving into and around Auckland it would be the perfect options of getting to CBD, only risky bit is the weather at that time if its a bit wet and wild.

If you have a game ticket you will be able to get the train or bus free of charge from Britomart (right by the ferry terminal) to the train station next to Eden Park (assuming the game is there) and back again after the game. They are busy but regular and you should be able to get on no problem.

No doubt there will be a few bad stories out there but I have only heard positives about the transport plans and practices they have had.

Joshlin Apr 27th 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9328969)
How are you planning to get to Auckland though:confused:

looked tonight and Jetstar had flights fairly reasonable, given the circumstances - 6 of us at reasonable times of day, return for $2400 - still pretty hefty tho.

BEVS Apr 27th 2011 8:35 pm

Ah! You got Jetstar. We only have Air NZ unless we want to do the 5 hour drive down to Xch which means further time off work.