British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rugby NO Footie YES!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rugby-no-footie-yes-324754/)

aarcc Sep 7th 2005 9:12 pm

Rugby NO Footie YES!!!

Looking to leave Wales for NZ leaving nationalism and the cult of the oval ball behind. Can't wait.

Hope when I get to NZ I'll be able to find a bar to watch the important UK & World Footie games, so I don't have to get SKY. Should this be OK in major towns.

Sad I know, I did live in Napoli. Loved it but nearest curry house was Rome. AAAHHH!!!

aarcc

jjennings Sep 7th 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Rugby NO Footie YES!!!

Originally Posted by aarcc
Looking to leave Wales for NZ leaving nationalism and the cult of the oval ball behind. Can't wait.

Hope when I get to NZ I'll be able to find a bar to watch the important UK & World Footie games, so I don't have to get SKY. Should this be OK in major towns.

Sad I know, I did live in Napoli. Loved it but nearest curry house was Rome. AAAHHH!!!

aarcc

You want to leave behind the 'cult of the oval ball' so are coming to New Zealand? :confused: ? You must be mad - have you never heard of the All Blacks? Rugby (union and league) really are the national passion. Plenty of sports bars around but you won't get much live football from Europe due to the time difference. Netball also gets serious TV time over here (seriously :eek: ).

aarcc Sep 7th 2005 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jjennings
You want to leave behind the 'cult of the oval ball' so are coming to New Zealand? :confused: ? You must be mad - have you never heard of the All Blacks? Rugby (union and league) really are the national passion. Plenty of sports bars around but you won't get much live football from Europe due to the time difference. Netball also gets serious TV time over here (seriously :eek: ).

Oh yeah. But as an immigant I'll just do a Manuel.

"Rugby. Sorry does not compute."

"Oh no not in the part of North Wales I come from it's too near to Liverpool & Manchester"

"Uh no.......that Lord of the Rings was fab wasn't it?"

aarcc :)

Pompey_Paul Sep 8th 2005 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by aarcc

aarcc

Not sure if the bars will be open THAT late (or is it early) :beer:

Benji Sep 9th 2005 4:10 am

You'll find way more Rugby in NZ than in Wales. It's the national sport.

England Girl Sep 9th 2005 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Benji
You'll find way more Rugby in NZ than in Wales. It's the national sport.

In my two years living in NZ I watched more rugby on tv than I'd ever seen in the UK (on Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'd only ever seen one football match being played as I went past our local sports ground (and I had to go past it a lot whether running, cycling or driving) but witnessed rugby training of all ages most nights of the week plus games on a Saturday and Sunday.
That said, I heard that the official figures from SPARC put soccer, aka football as having higher participation figures than rugby.

I would expect expat communities would get together to watch soccer but as I had no British friends while in NZ (all Kiwis) I have no idea.

If you want to be able to watch a lot of European football (especially at a reasonable hour) stay in Europe.

Carkedit Sep 9th 2005 11:02 am

womens soccer is quite big in NZ..I play..so no cheeky comments please unless you want a big slap.

There is plenty of mens soccer around..there is a magazine that comes out monthly (I think) that is just about soccer in NZ.

There is also the NZ Knights who play in the A-League, the new professional league set up in Australia. Think they usually play at North Harbour Stadium. Great if you want to see some good young talent and a bunch of english 'slightly past their best and wouldnt make it in the prem league anymore' players...Yorke included.

Soccer is out there..you just have to look past all the rugby to find it!

Pompey_Paul Sep 9th 2005 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Carkedit
womens soccer is quite big in NZ..I play..so no cheeky comments please unless you want a big slap.

There is plenty of mens soccer around..there is a magazine that comes out monthly (I think) that is just about soccer in NZ.

There is also the NZ Knights who play in the A-League, the new professional league set up in Australia. Think they usually play at North Harbour Stadium. Great if you want to see some good young talent and a bunch of english 'slightly past their best and wouldnt make it in the prem league anymore' players...Yorke included.

Soccer is out there..you just have to look past all the rugby to find it!

Do you take your shirt off when you score? :beer:

Carkedit Sep 9th 2005 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Do you take your shirt off when you score? :beer:

* SLAP*

I dont personally but a mate of mine did once, although she had a t-shirt on underneath..unfortunately for her when she pulled her shirt over her head her t-shirt came with it..and it was broadcast on the local tv news...(along with highlights from the rest of the game) bloody good goal though..free kick from 25yds out, screamed over the wall into the top of the net

Den13 Sep 9th 2005 8:56 pm

I had a conversation with 2 Aussies and a Kiwi when I was out there - all talking about football....
After several minutes of utter confusion we worked 1 Aussie was talking about Aussie rules, the other about League, the Kiwi about Union and me about soccer. All referred to as 'football'.

God bless Macs Gold.

Bloody foreigners........!! :p

Carkedit Sep 9th 2005 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Den13
I had a conversation with 2 Aussies and a Kiwi when I was out there - all talking about football....
After several minutes of utter confusion we worked 1 Aussie was talking about Aussie rules, the other about League, the Kiwi about Union and me about soccer. All referred to as 'football'.

God bless Macs Gold.

Bloody foreigners........!! :p

which is why i refer to it as soccer...although that p&*&!s the english off and i get corrected many times! lol

Pompey_Paul Sep 10th 2005 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Carkedit
* SLAP*

I dont personally but a mate of mine did once, although she had a t-shirt on underneath..unfortunately for her when she pulled her shirt over her head her t-shirt came with it..and it was broadcast on the local tv news...(along with highlights from the rest of the game) bloody good goal though..free kick from 25yds out, screamed over the wall into the top of the net

Excellent...it should be mandatory!

Carkedit Sep 10th 2005 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Excellent...it should be mandatory!

not that her hubbie was that impressed with her!

Carkedit Sep 11th 2005 11:18 pm

http://www.sportswebsoccer.com/

Uni-Mount was my team :-)