British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rugby or Football (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rugby-football-443896/)

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 3:55 pm

Rugby or Football

Hi Again,

How do all the expats cope without the blanket coverage of football compared to the coverage of rugby.

katracy Apr 21st 2007 3:59 pm

Re: Rugby or Football

My husband is from Paignton area. TOOLEY - ever heard of them?:rofl:

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 4:02 pm

Hi,

We have only been here for 3 years but we have kept ourselves to ouselves.
We fell in love with Paignton but now we just want to leave because we worry about our two young kids growing up in the UK.
Whereabouts in Paignton is your OH from.

katracy Apr 21st 2007 4:07 pm

About 10 mins from the zoo! Paignton is better than Huddersfield:rofl: We can't wait to move to NZ (in about 10 wks:) ) We support rugby, but rather watch it live than on TV, hate football:frown:

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 4:10 pm

We live on ColleyEnd Rd(about 10 mins from the zoo, on foot).

suzi n steve Apr 21st 2007 6:29 pm

I'm looking forward to it!! Can't stand football (puts up her hands to prevent being hit from footy supporters) but love rugby. Will miss going to Twickers.

Apple Tree Apr 22nd 2007 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4677702)
Hi Again,

How do all the expats cope without the blanket coverage of football compared to the coverage of rugby.

Its beautiful, who wants to watch blokes getting paid 50k a week kick a ball??:curse:

theduke Apr 22nd 2007 9:23 am

Was not interested in rugby before we came here and even vowed and downed it every opportunity, however I have found myself looking for the scores and actually going to the games and semi knowing what is going on and who is actually on the field(sometimes).

But football is still better though.

Apple tree: do rugby players not get paid big money or kick the ball??

If you like Rugby there probably is no better place to be than here, there is probably as much rugby on TV here as foorball in the UK..

Want2goNow Apr 22nd 2007 9:26 am

Originally Posted by theduke (Post 4679919)
Was not interested in rugby before we came here and even vowed and downed it every opportunity, however I have found myself looking for the scores and actually going to the games and semi knowing what is going on and who is actually on the field(sometimes).

But football is still better though.

If you like Rugby there probably is no better place to be than here, there is probably as much rugby on TV here as foorball in the UK..

Hi theduke,

strange as it may sound I am a staunch footy fan but of late have been looking at NZ rugby scores and trying to watch them on Sky Sports:huh:

theduke Apr 22nd 2007 9:34 am

I have started coaching my kids team just to keep my hand in, and I feel like taking the ball off them sometimes during the game and running up the field and scoring, might look a bit strange against 7year olds though.

One thing that bugs me is they call it soccer here for some stupid reason

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4679935)
Hi theduke,

strange as it may sound I am a staunch footy fan but of late have been looking at NZ rugby scores and trying to watch them on Sky Sports:huh:

Want2goNow Apr 22nd 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by theduke (Post 4679966)
I have started coaching my kids team just to keep my hand in, and I feel like taking the ball off them sometimes during the game and running up the field and scoring, might look a bit strange against 7year olds though.

One thing that bugs me is they call it soccer here for some stupid reason

Yes "soccer" it will always be footy, jumpers for goal posts 3 & in, headers & volleys etc.

happynz Apr 22nd 2007 2:50 pm

There's a small ground in St Albans Christchurch called appropriately English Park. This where a sizable number of expatriate 'soccer' tragics take in matches.

The entrance from the Cranford Street carpark

http://www.kiwicuisine.com/images/englishpark.jpg

The north side of the grandstand.

http://www.kiwicuisine.com/images/gallery5.jpg

Apple Tree Apr 22nd 2007 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by theduke (Post 4679919)

I doubt they get $150,000 a week, 10 years ago they had jobs AND played rugby, i love football, watched City home & away for years, realised as the money went up,the desire went down (like Cty!!) Went back to watching local (ish) soccer ( Unibond level), players getting 200 quid a game, by the time they travelled & trained, probably not 15 quid an hour. But its my opinion, and am entitled to it.

mazi Apr 22nd 2007 11:52 pm

Both rugby and football are evil :thumbdown: and should not be seen, heard nor spoken about

Avid Apr 23rd 2007 12:18 am

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I thought the 'soccer' games would be played when I came to Wellington...