British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rubbish service in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rubbish-service-nz-595750/)

Genesis Mar 6th 2009 5:14 am

Rubbish service in NZ

Rant warning. and that should be rubbish..not robbish!!

Why do virtually ALL the people Kate and I deal with let us down? The builder did not pick up the rubbish when he said he would. The bank fouled up on an ATM claim. The currency dealer really let me down, so did the mechanic, so did the extended warranty company, so did the electrical retailer. The other builders never turn up or do and then never supply a quote. The carpet people tried to rip us off and the carpenter was an idiot. The work top supplier screwed up the sizes we agreed the car dealership never rang me back twice. Neither did the repair company (again) neither did the bank (again). The log burner people had to be asked to get the flu staight and then left having cracked the hearth and not saying ought. The solicitor REALLY fouled up on our house deal. The sat nav company found it impossible to repair a month old unit. The credit company try to rip me off with fees they said they would not charge. The pool people didn't call back either by the way along with most other people who say they will return the call..oh they did 3 months later. The post office ignored my complaint about the posty riding his motorbike on the sidewalk. I could go on but you get the jist....believe me I REALLY could go on!! I know I have said you reap what you sow but I just asked most of these people to enter into a contract that would make them money.

Hmm. Been here 4 years and I wonder why this country so full of lovely genial people who are lovely it seems unless they are in a car (holding a steering wheel) or you are doing business with them. Have I been really unlucky and the rest of you are getting the zenith in customer after care??

Browner_ Mar 6th 2009 6:07 am

Re: Robbish service in NZ

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7350507)
Rant warning. and that should be rubbish..not robbish!!

Why do virtually ALL the people Kate and I deal with let us down? The builder did not pick up the rubbish when he said he would. The bank fouled up on an ATM claim. The currency dealer really let me down, so did the mechanic, so did the extended warranty company, so did the electrical retailer. The other builders never turn up or do and then never supply a quote. The carpet people tried to rip us off and the carpenter was an idiot. The work top supplier screwed up the sizes we agreed the car dealership never rang me back twice. Neither did the repair company (again) neither did the bank (again). The log burner people had to be asked to get the flu staight and then left having cracked the hearth and not saying ought. The solicitor REALLY fouled up on our house deal. The sat nav company found it impossible to repair a month old unit. The credit company try to rip me off with fees they said they would not charge. The pool people didn't call back either by the way along with most other people who say they will return the call..oh they did 3 months later. The post office ignored my complaint about the posty riding his motorbike on the sidewalk. I could go on but you get the jist....believe me I REALLY could go on!! I know I have said you reap what you sow but I just asked most of these people to enter into a contract that would make them money.

Hmm. Been here 4 years and I wonder why this country so full of lovely genial people who are lovely it seems unless they are in a car (holding a steering wheel) or you are doing business with them. Have I been really unlucky and the rest of you are getting the zenith in customer after care??

Yeah, and I cant get a job with my experience of delivering a quality service!

I think it comes down to "If you pay peanuts..."

When I was in work, I couldnt believe how slack people were at answering emails. If you cant answer it in 24 hours, you should at least say so , so people know where they stand.

I recently had an interview where I was tested on my communication skills - "what would I do if.." sort of questions - to test the quality of my service.
They said they would be making a decision "that day".
How long do you think before they contacted me again? What would you expect? And these people are rejecting my business and communication skills?

Joshlin Mar 6th 2009 7:11 am

I have to say that in general we've had really good service, deliveries made on days arranged with follow up calls checking satisfaction, chairs swapped without delay when faults were identified, texts from bank confirming loan advances in account, prompt and reliable builder / plumber and electrician - and reasonably priced, very polite and clean up after themselves, superb garden bag man - responsive when called and happy to go over and above, house painters very prompt in quoting and commencing work, great job, cleaned up after themselves.
The only negative so far has been Noel Leeming who took over 2 months to supply a camera ordered online despite Canon assuring me that stock was being delivered - but did get compensation when asked for it (well...... demanded!)
sorry genesis - must be you ;)

Am Loolah Mar 6th 2009 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin (Post 7350704)
The only negative so far has been Noel Leeming who took over 2 months to supply a camera ordered online despite Canon assuring me that stock was being delivered - but did get compensation when asked for it (well...... demanded!)

Hubby and I stood in Noel Leeming for about half an hour this morning, having chosen a laptop from a somewhat limited supply for our daughter's birthday tomorrow. We knew which one we wanted, it was around $1500 and we were going to haggle for some anti-virus software to be thrown in.

After 30 minutes and one approach to a sales assistant on the desk who was "with someone" we went next door and spent more with another shop ... :sneaky:

How very dare they?

Other than that - all our experiences have been great. Sorry genesis!:o

Am Loolah Mar 6th 2009 7:38 am

Re: Rubbish service in NZ

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7350507)
and that should be rubbish..not robbish!!

Edited title for you!:p

Genesis Mar 6th 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7350584)
Yeah, and I cant get a job with my experience of delivering a quality service!

Nothing has been on the cheap..been there done that..I actually avoid the cheapest these days.......it matters not what you spend..in 1995 i bought a new BMW..shite service, the same with the new Skoda (I bought the wife:wub:) in 2000..shite service. One was twice the price of the other..both the same shite service. All those I have moaned about are considered professional, not cheap in their respected fields.

Genesis Mar 6th 2009 7:50 am

Or Christchurch has a handle on things.

Genesis Mar 6th 2009 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7350738)
Edited title for you!:p

Ta, now THAT is good service.

Batty Mar 6th 2009 8:00 am

Firewood that was advertised as being 'dry' and was NOT (hah - have our own this year :p) but that's only a pain in the behind really - my BIG gripe is employment agencies ignoring me or telling me that having reviewed my CV my experience is not .. well basically they're telling me I'm not good enough when I've already had an award from a major Kiwi company for being really good at what I do! How can they then not even give me an interview - a f e c k in' AGENCY?????? Every time I get a reply like that I just want to call them up and have a go but I don't want the job THAT badly! One day I will though... ;)

Other than that, I can't think of anything - service when I lived in London was non existent and by the time I left Ireland it was as bad there so I've always been blown away by how brilliantly I've been treated here. I have a hot temper but I've learned to use a filter - everyone reacts to the person opposite, whether it be on the phone or in person and when you're in a 'service' conversation I find it works in your favour if you don't lose it!

kiwichicks Mar 6th 2009 8:10 am

No complaints so far in fact the opposite, must be that we came from a bad place in UK :rofl:

D:D

luvwelly Mar 6th 2009 8:55 am

Good experiences here I'm afraid..I've posted before about how good it has mainly been.
Haven't used any builders though - I'm sure they could easily be nightmarish in all countries.
I too have had a couple of problems with Noel Leeming though, the most recent being a kettle I bought which leaked. When I took it back 2 hours later with box and receipt, the admittedly young Assistant actually had the cheek to say he would have to take it out back and test what I was saying was indeed the case....I am 40 plus, I didn't appreciate this lack of integrity and as a result bought the replacement kettle next door instead!

I have a little theory that when you first arrive, you go round overdoing the smiling and therefore get a warmer response everywhere...for instance I can remember being quizzed about my life story almost at the supermarket checkout but I actually don't welcome that level of interest in my personal circumstances anymore, so once you've settled in, your head goes down a bit more....

Try to write a list of good service you have received to cheer yourself up, even if it's only your local cafe...you must have had some...NZ is very customer-orientated.
I think the common theme with the instances you have mentioned is mainly unreliable tradespeople rather than professionals....as for Bank call centres, they are probably not even in NZ?

Batty Mar 6th 2009 9:02 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7350865)
Good experiences here I'm afraid..I've posted before about how good it has mainly been.
Haven't used any builders though - I'm sure they could easily be nightmarish in all countries.
I too have had a couple of problems with Noel Leeming though, the most recent being a kettle I bought which leaked. When I took it back 2 hours later with box and receipt, the admittedly young Assistant actually had the cheek to say he would have to take it out back and test what I was saying was indeed the case....I am 40 plus, I didn't appreciate this lack of integrity and as a result bought the replacement kettle next door instead!

I have a little theory that when you first arrive, you go round overdoing the smiling and therefore get a warmer response everywhere...for instance I can remember being quizzed about my life story almost at the supermarket checkout but I actually don't welcome that level of interest in my personal circumstances anymore, so once you've settled in, your head goes down a bit more....

Try to write a list of good service you have received to cheer yourself up, even if it's only your local cafe...you must have had some...NZ is very customer-orientated.
I think the common theme with the instances you have mentioned is mainly unreliable tradespeople rather than professionals....as for Bank call centres, they are probably not even in NZ?

We have a brilliant 'builder' - he's more of a handyman really as in he can do almost anything and we've used him a few times now and recommended him to other people - and he hasn't let us down!! (that's always a worry with a recommendation) :thumbup: It's the luck of the draw sometimes - we just picked his name out of the local paper but really, we could just as easily have got a cowboy!

TurnersNZ Mar 6th 2009 9:05 am

some points I can agree on but lifes what you make of it.

New Zealand you just kick back and go with the flow.

Genesis Mar 6th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by TurnersNZ (Post 7350893)
some points I can agree on but lifes what you make of it.

I agree but its hard to get anything done around here effectively and promptly. Thus I am not able to get things done by others. I end up doing it myself in some cases!! As far as service goes in NZ as one offs its great, the shops, bars, cafes gas stn etc..bloody marvellous. Its the after sales stuff and bloody builders roofers and the like here in Palmy. Look at this....... new and expensive fridge, 9 breakdowns in under 4 years, finally agree to a replacement after weeks without said fridge..so broken they took it away. They bought the replacement after we talked all week about it..wrong bloody machine and they ripped up my hardwood kitchen floor bringing the wrong one in..another 14 days with no 'real' fridge while they re order the right one.

Bloody amateurs. And I do not lose my temper..I left that in the UK..maybe I am too civil aye?

Browner_ Mar 6th 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7350748)

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7350584)

Nothing has been on the cheap..

I was referring to the salary paid to the monkeys, rather than what the consumer might pay!