Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Royal Wedding Anyone!

Royal Wedding Anyone!

Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Royal Wedding Anyone!

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering what the Royalists are doing next Friday to celebrate William and Catherine's wedding. A group of us Brits are having a Right Royal Gala Party at a relatives house. We are all taking food (English of course!) and having champers (well maybe sparkling wine!) in the best crystal and getting dressed up in our finest gear and not forgetting to get a cheap tiara from the $2 shop. I got some Union Jack Bunting from the UK to decorate the room along with my union jack blanket in case it is chilly!! Spreading confetti on the table along with red white and blue streamers which we are getting the children to make. Such an occassion as this I cannot let pass without getting in to the swing. I have just paid $10.99 for a Birds Trifle from New World. (note to self: bring a few back from the uk next month!) I expect all us girls will be in the posh lounge watching all the pomp and ceremony but we expect the guys will be in the family room watching summat else! Not really their thing. Anyone else got anything planned?

I may live in NZ but I am British, a Royalist and Proud of it

Last edited by shirl; Apr 21st 2011 at 4:22 am.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royal Wedding Anyone!

Oh crikey, do you want me to the ring the BBC? On these special occasions they always have a slot on the news to show a montage of the dotty old flag waving expat Nana's from Australia and New Zealand, showing off their collections of royal thimbles or suchlike.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Oh crikey, do you want me to the ring the BBC? On these special occasions they always have a slot on the news to show a montage of the dotty old flag waving expat Nana's from Australia and New Zealand, showing off their collections of royal thimbles or suchlike.
Yes someone did ask if the local rag was going to be there. ROFL
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

are they actually showing it live over here in the middle of the night? or will we just see clips of it on the news the next day. I'm kind of interested in it, not cos they're royals but just cos it's going to be a posh fancy wedding which I always love to see and I can't wait to see the dress
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's on TV One all Friday evening from 6pm News until after midnight when it switches to the BBC anyway.

http://tvnz.co.nz/royal-wedding/tv-one-s-guide-4135985
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

[QUOTE=shirl;9317982]Hi Everyone

I was just wondering what the Royalists are doing next Friday to celebrate William and Catherine's wedding. A group of us Brits are having a Right Royal Gala Party at a relatives house. We are all taking food (English of course!) and having champers (well maybe sparkling wine!) in the best crystal and getting dressed up in our finest gear and not forgetting to get a cheap tiara from the $2 shop. I got some Union Jack Bunting from the UK to decorate the room along with my union jack blanket in case it is chilly!! Spreading confetti on the table along with red white and blue streamers which we are getting the children to make. Such an occassion as this I cannot let pass without getting in to the swing. I have just paid $10.99 for a Birds Trifle from New World. (note to self: bring a few back from the uk next month!) I expect all us girls will be in the posh lounge watching all the pomp and ceremony but we expect the guys will be in the family room watching summat else! Not really their thing. Anyone else got anything planned?

I may live in NZ but I am British, a Royalist and Proud of it

We are going to our friends who are having a Royal Knees up for the wedding should be a good do. Look out Papamoa
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Enjoy!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:41 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Not my thing really, but sounds like you're all going to have a good time, and why not! If I'm up and I'm not doing anything I'll no doubt watch it. I'm sure it'll be one of those "compulsive viewing" moments if I do switch it on.

I do remember watching Princess Di and Charles getting married, we were round friend's of my parents house and it was on in the living room whilst adults and kids roamed from house to garden catching glimpses. It was a good atmosphere.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching it at home with a good friend who is American and really wants to see it, plus a Scottish friend. I will cook traditional chinese food and then the men will obviously go into another room and ignore the whole event

Jan
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I'm watching it at home with a good friend who is American and really wants to see it, plus a Scottish friend. I will cook traditional chinese food and then the men will obviously go into another room and ignore the whole event

Jan
That sounds good Jan. The emphasise is on watch the royal wedding and not talk all the way through it which the men want to do eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

The only thing I'm looking forward to about it is the day off work!

We're going to head to the coast and have a BBQ if weather is good, walk in the dunes if not... keep as far away from the media and other people celebrating this wedding as much as possible!

As you can tell I'm not really bothered about the Royal Family!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got sucked in by the snippets i've seen in the gossip mags over here and now I def want to watch it just to see what she wears, what the service will be like etc! we've only just moved so don't know many people yet otherwise I'd have thought about having a party...although there's always the risk that people will talk all over it - like when you have a eurovision party
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:29 am

There was an article today in the news regarding street parties.

Of course I can't find it now.

But in the UK you have to apply to your local council to have a street party, which makes sense. Buggered if I can find it now, but there was a huge amount of people who got together and did this for Charles and Di's wedding and something like less than 1000 in the UK currently for Wills and Kate? However, what people may not have realised, is that for this one the Councils are providing FREE flags and bunting in some areas!! Still time to get your applications in people in the UK!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the rough

No, it's way too late to get in the apps for the Royal Street parties now! I think closing date was months ago. I'll be going to one, I think. Lots of grumblings about "them Royals" over here, but we get a day off, so I think everyone should just get into the spirit, and if going to a street party's not their thing, they could just go for a walk, eat a cake, have a beer... anything! It's a day off we wouldn't have had, people! Enjoy the wedding, even if it's in the middle of the night over there!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:39 pm

Yes I'm sure it's too late, I was semi-joking!

I've now decided to have English friends round for some cucumber sandwiches and Pimms, among other things! Any excuse for a party!