Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Royal New Zealand Navy Transfer

Royal New Zealand Navy Transfer

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Cate135 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal New Zealand Navy Transfer

Hi, can't really advice from military side but both my husband and I live in Devonport and work at the naval yard on the civvy side and are in our mid 30s, we've been here 9 months.

Devonport is a bit boring but there is a British pub that is good and plenty of cafes and resturants which is not to bad, two beaches, Takapuna takes 10- 20 minutes depending on traffic which is a nightmare as there is only one road. We live 10 min walk to beach and 20 minutes walk to work/ferry. If you lived in the City the ferry takes 15 mins, there is one that goes to stanley bay next to yard but only runs at certain times, otherwise the ferry is just along from the yard within walking distance, a return ferry is $22 but you can buy multi tickets which work out cheaper.

Salary wise, you should be ok, we managed on one salary which was higher and now on two we are comfortable, we find eating out really cheap and shopping at the local New World is not to bad, however a night out drinking can become expensive easily $9-10 a pint $8-9 for spirits, so we usually go to liquor store/ supermarket and buy there.

The Viaduct area has some good places to eat and drink, Britomart is not to bad either and prices are reasonable for the City.

Housing wise I think we were lucky, we have a two bedroom with a garage &storage room, north facing with two garden areas and balcony with views from Belmont to the Harbour bridge and we pay $420 p.w, but to buy it would cost us over $500k which is mental as there is no heating or double glazing in ours.

Overall I think you would be ok, Devonport can be boring and unless you are with children or dogs then you can feel a bit left out, but saying that for what you have on the doorstep you can't really complain plus being with the Navy it will easier for you to meet others