Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Royal New Zealand Navy

Royal New Zealand Navy

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of
Default Royal New Zealand Navy

Hi,

I'm currently in the very early stages of an application to join the RNZN, I was just wondering if anyone else was in the process of joining from the UK or has joined recently?

Just wanted to know how it's going for others that are further ahead than me!

Cheers,

Tom.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Sigma.501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal New Zealand Navy

Hi Tom,

I am probably at the same stage as you and despatched my last 5 OJARs a little over 2 months ago. I am still trying to find out details of taxation (how my current RN pension is taxed over in NZ) but am having difficulties as I am deployed into the ME at present.

I am excited by the prospects and looking forward to the next stage which is an interview in London.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of

Hi mate, I've actually withdrawn my application now, I was invited to interview by Skype though, so I think that's how they do it now! After submitting my reports, I was sent a medical questionnaire and then invited to interview. After the interview, it would have been full medical and fitness test, followed by offer of employment. It's then down to you to get visas ect!

I have no idea about tax so I can't advise on that, I'm sure once you're a bit further in the process they can put you in touch with an expat in the same position though.

Good luck!!!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sigma.501
Hi Tom,

I am probably at the same stage as you and despatched my last 5 OJARs a little over 2 months ago. I am still trying to find out details of taxation (how my current RN pension is taxed over in NZ) but am having difficulties as I am deployed into the ME at present.

I am excited by the prospects and looking forward to the next stage which is an interview in London.
You are taxed in New Zealand, at New Zealand rates, on all of your world income. However, any tax that you pay in UK will count towards the tax that you have to pay in New Zealand. If you want to receive all of your RN pension without deduction in UK, you can apply to Inland Revenue in New Zealand and then the UK Tax Authority will issue an appropriate tax code to ensure that your UK RN pension is not taxed. At least that is what occurs for a private pension for everybody else. you might need to check that it is the same for a "government" pension. My wife receivs her civil service pension this way, so I assume your RN pension will be likewise.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Sigma.501 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Neville,

I looked at the HMRC Tax Treaties Website and noted that they have a double taxation digest listing all the countries and their reliefs.

For New Zealand it shows that a UK Government pension would receive full relief and I am unsure what this means? The term relief indicates some form of concession but I dont know if it is the UK personal allowance which is untaxed.

I suspect that to get the answer I will have to pay lots of money to an accountancy firm.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Just noticed this it may help.
http://www.seek.co.nz/job/26209095