British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Round and Round in Circles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/round-round-circles-369881/)

Spacecake799 Apr 26th 2006 7:03 am

Round and Round in Circles

Help, I am going round in circles, we(family of 5) decided to quit the UK with NZ our intended location as it ticks all the boxes for us.
I started off the normal route trying to submit an EOI etc but now after several months have found myself in a real catch 22 situation (long story cut short).
Basically I can't get enough points together to put in EOI for either myself or my wife, so have tried to secure a job offer but cannot get one because I don't have a visa, I have phoned some agencies in NZ that I have sent my CV and they have all suggested I come out on holiday, and they will then talk to me get me a job offer and then get me a work permit that will also allow me to submit a application for PR. (phewww)
Has anyone else done this?, any thoughts?, I am prepared to make the effort I just don't want to end up travelling back and forth between UK and NZ so would like to arrive and look for work etc.......

Thanks for your time

Radio Ham Apr 26th 2006 8:51 am

Re: Round and Round in Circles

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Help, I am going round in circles, we(family of 5) decided to quit the UK with NZ our intended location as it ticks all the boxes for us.
I started off the normal route trying to submit an EOI etc but now after several months have found myself in a real catch 22 situation (long story cut short).
Basically I can't get enough points together to put in EOI for either myself or my wife, so have tried to secure a job offer but cannot get one because I don't have a visa, I have phoned some agencies in NZ that I have sent my CV and they have all suggested I come out on holiday, and they will then talk to me get me a job offer and then get me a work permit that will also allow me to submit a application for PR. (phewww)
Has anyone else done this?, any thoughts?, I am prepared to make the effort I just don't want to end up travelling back and forth between UK and NZ so would like to arrive and look for work etc.......

Thanks for your time

Hi there, I am in exactly the same position. I went to NZ for 3 weeks in July 2005 and met agencies and employers with great response. The downside is that employers seem to want an immediate start, so I came back to the UK with offers I could not act on with 3 months notice period and house/cars to sell etc. I've continued to keep up contacts and selectively applied for jobs in NZ but do not get a look in from the UK.

So I'm now free of my employer and I leave for NZ on Friday, leaving my family in the UK, going job hunting to get the points we need for EOI etc. I'll keep the forum informed of my adventures. :eek:

Good luck to you.

Bodgit Apr 26th 2006 10:28 am

Now there is dedication !!! Hope it works out for you all.

ex geordie Apr 26th 2006 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Radio Ham
Hi there, I am in exactly the same position. I went to NZ for 3 weeks in July 2005 and met agencies and employers with great response. The downside is that employers seem to want an immediate start, so I came back to the UK with offers I could not act on with 3 months notice period and house/cars to sell etc. I've continued to keep up contacts and selectively applied for jobs in NZ but do not get a look in from the UK.

So I'm now free of my employer and I leave for NZ on Friday, leaving my family in the UK, going job hunting to get the points we need for EOI etc. I'll keep the forum informed of my adventures. :eek:

Good luck to you.

Good Luck on your job hunting :)

sarahw Apr 26th 2006 7:27 pm

I rang the NZIS with exactly that question when we put our EOI in - a while ago admittedly. They said that although employers couldn't let you start work without your visa in place there was no reason for them not to make you an offer. If you had already put in your EOI and then got a job offer, if you called NZIS, they would process your application with more urgency.

Good luck.

Spacecake799 Apr 26th 2006 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Basically I can't get enough points together to put in EOI for either myself or my wife, so have tried to secure a job offer but cannot get one because I don't have a visa, ...... (phewww)

Whoops bit of a typo there (not enough coffee this morning :rolleyes: ), I should have said that I do have enough points but cannot go any furthur without a job offer hence my catch 22 comment

Thanks for your thoughts so far.