Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rotorua....I need some new friends!

Rotorua....I need some new friends!

Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Rotorua....I need some new friends!

Been here 5 months now and have not been on the forum due to serious homesickness. Didn't want to give anyone else depression
I am finding that sitting here on a dark wet night, drink in hand is becoming rather dull so who's up for it!!

(that didn't sound to good aye!)
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rotorua....I need some new friends!

Thought I hadn't seen you about for a while. Did you move there for a job Kato?

It's dark and wet here in Blighty too, so you aren't missing much weather wise!!
Sending you a big chimp hug to cheer you up.

Lou
xx

Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:35 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got in touch with these?

http://rotorua.newcomers.co.nz/

Might help to find some new locals like yourself who can appreciate what you're going through.

Sorry to hear you're homesick. And I know it doesn't really help to hear it is perfectly normal! But apart from that how are you finding Rotorua? Is there much to see and do there? How are the jobs going? Kids liking school? Do you get out and about much?

We drove down to Rotorua just for the afternoon when we were on our recce and staying in BOP. After a quick walk round the town we went to Hell's Gate. I thought it was amazing - not just for the boiling mud and thermal pools but because of the lack of safety barriers, restrictions to access and lack of a guide ensuring we stayed on the path! Felt a real sense of freedom wandering round there
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

Might help to find some new locals like yourself who can appreciate what you're going through.

Sorry to hear you're homesick. And I know it doesn't really help to hear it is perfectly normal! But apart from that how are you finding Rotorua? Is there much to see and do there? How are the jobs going? Kids liking school? Do you get out and about much?

We drove down to Rotorua just for the afternoon when we were on our recce and staying in BOP. After a quick walk round the town we went to Hell's Gate. I thought it was amazing - not just for the boiling mud and thermal pools but because of the lack of safety barriers, restrictions to access and lack of a guide ensuring we stayed on the path! Felt a real sense of freedom wandering round there
No safety barriers, no restrictions to the mud pools.......right, I think a much needed trip is about to happen with the OH. Sure there is some bubbling mud with his name in it!

Cheers for the link, will take a look.
As for Rotorua, we totally love it. Soooo much to see & do. The lakes are just breath taking . Roger changed jobs, they told a few fibs regarding his wages and stuff. I work for the Jade Factory in accounts so all good. Takes a bit of getting used too after a sole-charge job but its all cool. And the kids, well they never want to leave. The boys went trout fishing the other day for $3...........3 bucks........where could you do that back home!
The home sickness comes and goes although I have found a good...no, fantastic friend from this site whom I probably couldn't of done it without. But like you say, everyone goes through it. Just didn't want to be one of the whingers so kept away for a while.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:00 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
No safety barriers, no restrictions to the mud pools.......right, I think a much needed trip is about to happen with the OH. Sure there is some bubbling mud with his name in it!

It all sounds good, and great kids love it and you've got someone local to lean on - that helps heaps. I read about Kim on another thread and really felt for you. Maybe that'll come good too, eh, once she's had time to work it all out for herself?

And do come on and whinge away... afterall aren't we all whinging poms?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Been here 5 months now and have not been on the forum due to serious homesickness. Didn't want to give anyone else depression
I am finding that sitting here on a dark wet night, drink in hand is becoming rather dull so who's up for it!!

Hi
I just want you to know that I know exactly where you are coming from. As many on here will know I suffered serious homesickness, so much so that I asked my husband, 4 kids, 2 dogs and one cat to return to the Uk with me, cos I could not settle there. Now that we have been home in the Uk a year, hubby has been offered his job back in Rotorua with increased wages and permanent residency and i swing from going back to staying here on a daily basis. it is lovely and warm here at the moment, but hubby has to fly out again in 16 weeks. i would like to say u get used to it, but do u? The kiwi's hardly have anything in common with people from the uk so making friends is not that easy, but we british are adaptable! I think LOL It is too easy for people to say cheer up.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 11:44 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Same situation...living in Wellington, finding it extremely hard to build friendship network. Any ideas?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you received any of my emails or Facebook messages? I've tried to contact you to meet up several times?! Would love to meet up in Rotorua or you are welcome here I'll PM you our phone number again.
Helen xx
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

did notice a sign near one of the hot pools in hells gate which said something along the lines of anyone caught throwing litter in the pools will be made to retrieve it.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helinuk
Have you received any of my emails or Facebook messages? I've tried to contact you to meet up several times?! Would love to meet up in Rotorua or you are welcome here I'll PM you our phone number again.
Helen xx
Right, will PM my number. Sure the men could have a right old natter about Tottenham.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karron
did notice a sign near one of the hot pools in hells gate which said something along the lines of anyone caught throwing litter in the pools will be made to retrieve it.
I am sure I have a few boxes and junk I need to get rid of.......just make sure his standing behind me when I do it and....hey! presto, one less hubby
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:24 am
Just Joined

WestcountryGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if it helps but my daughter has a good friend (a POM) who runs the Santa Maria Motel in Rotorua with her husband. They have two kids at school there also. Anyway, they are good company - chatty and friendly. I am sure they would appreciate some good old UK humour. The weather is improving daily now isn't it? You'll be able to get out and about again soon. Come over to BoP and enjoy the beaches.