Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough
Default Rotorua good and bad

Had the chance to move to Rotorua, I have a feeling this may crop up again
Could anyone give me info re the good areas to look at houses where to avoid
Plus just general what's good what isn't about the town and surrounding area
thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rotorua good and bad

Originally Posted by Jobry01
thanks
We live here and we love it!
Lots has been said about the smell here but its only an issue in one or two places in town, and when certain weather conditions prevail.
As you probably know there is a high Maori population here, consequently there are a lots of traditional tourist attractions.
Rotorua is classed as a city but in reality the population is around 40,000 in the immediate lake area but nearer 60,000 including the surrounding areas.
Depending on where you are coming from Rotorua may appear to quiet, but it is a tourist destination first and foremost.

What line of work are you in? Do you have family? What kind of location are you looking for? What kind of lifestyle are you looking for?

Dont hesitate to PM us if you want more detailed info.

Last edited by RobDon; Aug 2nd 2011 at 9:05 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Roto-Vegas !!

Sorry but it smells, or it has done every time i've been
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Roto-Vegas !!

It's not THAT bad. Maybe if you've got your head over a mudpool or the like. You get used to the smell and don't notice it after a while.

My friend once told me (before we went) that if you imagine the smelliest fart ever, and multiply it by a lot, that is what it smells like... it's rubbish! It isn't that bad, unless you have an incredible sense of smell I love it there

Edited to add: She is very 'posh' (she likes to think) so I think that explains her reaction
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Roto-Vegas !!

Ha Ha ....trade secret.... the council has the smell specially manufactured for the tourists. As a local we can't smell it.

Gill and Rob
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:44 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Hi,
I personally cannot smell the sulfur but my OH can so its not a problem to me.
We came to Rotorua because its where my OH got her job and if we had the choice at the time we would have gone to Northlands, but we didnt get a choice, so here we are, and we love it, we had never been here before, Hamilton was the closest we got but at this time i dont think there would be anywhere i'd rather be.
I dont know what sort of things you like doing, but if you dont find something here to suit then your not looking hard enough especially if your sport minded?
There are a few nice areas to live and it all depends how much you willing to pay, obviously the exchange rate is not helping, but the house we have plus the location would have been a distant dream in the UK, look on trademe .co.nz or realestate.co.nz for a guide price and you will be ableto work the more sort after areas.

Good luck
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yusdfgi
Thank you! It seems that you do well! I recommend here!
Spam, spam, spam, spam ...
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have lived here for just over 3 years now with the OH and the kids....took us time to settle in NZ and feel our way through the workforce but felt right at home in Rotorua immediately, wouldn't live anywhere else at the mo.
Fantastic place with some really good people.
Come join us, you'll love it!!!

thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:48 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

Edited to add: She is very 'posh'
And she still said 'fart'?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:59 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess we should explain to people who stumble onto this thread wondering what everyone is talking about with the Rotorua smell. It has a sulpher smell due to it being in a volcanic area with bubbling hot mudpools and geisers etc.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Aug 3rd 2011 at 11:07 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Well I always take visitors from the UK there as I think the volcanic stuff is interesting to see and not found back home BUT they always complain about the smell...a lot.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

thanks
Airdrie versus Rotorua, apart from the smell i know which i would choose, like others said i think once you live there your sence of smell gets used to it. As a visitor its hard to adjust, but hey apart from that its ok, good luck !
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Visited there once and had a nice time. Yes it smells. My Scottish mother in law (emigrated to NZ in 1966) calls it Rottenrua after a rainy and smelly camping holiday there back in the 1970's. For me, it was no worse that the sulphur smell you sometimes get when you cook hard boiled eggs. Even then it just comes in occasional wafts. Beautiful rock pools/hot pools and a an amzing geyzer. The Waimangu Valley is interesting too.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
And she still said 'fart'?
She didn't actually... that's my Northern side slipping out I think she said 'wind'. She is a modern Hyacinth Bucket
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side, Redwoods is just 2 minutes away and its beautiful there.