Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Room needed in Wellington...

Room needed in Wellington...

Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

debbyandmark will become famous soon enoughdebbyandmark will become famous soon enough
Default Room needed in Wellington...

Hello All. My family and I are moving out to Welly in Jan next year. However, I'm coming out there early to start work and find a house for us all when we all make the move! I'm flying out first week in November and was wondering if anyone here knew of any rooms for rent for the period Nov07-Feb08 (with a break in the middle for christmas). If you do please let me know.

... A bit about us.....

We are Mark and Debby, and our Kids Georgia Milli & Lucas. All moving out in Jan/Feb as I mentioned - to Wellington. All pretty easy going and looking forward to the "NZ Lifestyle"...

Also, apart from the room needed - we'd be really keen to get together with people who are living in Wellington already, preferably with kids but not essential!! As we really want to make some mates and settle in ASAP!

Thanks for reading our post!

Mark & Debby
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room needed in Wellington...

Originally Posted by debbyandmark
Hello All. My family and I are moving out to Welly in Jan next year. However, I'm coming out there early to start work and find a house for us all when we all make the move! I'm flying out first week in November and was wondering if anyone here knew of any rooms for rent for the period Nov07-Feb08 (with a break in the middle for christmas). If you do please let me know.

... A bit about us.....

We are Mark and Debby, and our Kids Georgia Milli & Lucas. All moving out in Jan/Feb as I mentioned - to Wellington. All pretty easy going and looking forward to the "NZ Lifestyle"...

Also, apart from the room needed - we'd be really keen to get together with people who are living in Wellington already, preferably with kids but not essential!! As we really want to make some mates and settle in ASAP!

Mark & Debby
Can't help with the room, but meeting up is no problem. There's a group of us who meet up as and when for coffee and trips, kids play, we talk etc... always welcome...

Simon
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

debbyandmark will become famous soon enoughdebbyandmark will become famous soon enough

Hey - Really appreciate that! We'd love to catch up with you all when we get there.... any tips for keeping the kids amused during the flight??

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Can't help with the room, but meeting up is no problem. There's a group of us who meet up as and when for coffee and trips, kids play, we talk etc... always welcome...

Simon
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - Really appreciate that! We'd love to catch up with you all when we get there.... any tips for keeping the kids amused during the flight??
If you go with either Air New Zealand or Singapore, they look after the kids superbly, with films, in built games consoles, ice creams, sweats, drawing books the lot. We brought our's DS Lite, never touched it.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
If you go with either Air New Zealand or Singapore, they look after the kids superbly, with films, in built games consoles, ice creams, sweats, drawing books the lot. We brought our's DS Lite, never touched it.
we've just invested in a couple of those too!!! - perhaps I'll stick them on EBAY!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

we've just invested in a couple of those too!!! - perhaps I'll stick them on EBAY!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Deb & Mark,
If you send a PM to Wilma & Co, also Donna F on the forum they both have 3 kids each, with 4 out of 6 going to Papakowhai School. Kids aged between
3 - 12 yrs. They will be a wealth of info on family stuff.

... A bit about us.....

Mark & Debby
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know where your job will be exactly?
Do you plan to move into your family rental asap (as soon as you've found it) or to stay in single accommodation for most of the period you quoted?
Are you sure your employer doesn't offer help with finding initial accommodation?
Do you plan to buy a car straightaway?

In Wellington centrally (potentially within walking distance of your office) there are 4 Star Qualmark backpacker hotels www.wellywoodbackpackers.co.nz
www.downtownbackpackers.co.nz
, all ranges of hotel and a category aimed at people in your sort of situation....short term let serviced apartments e.g. www.questonwillis.co.nz
(search under 'Quest' or 'What's new?' (66 Boulcott Street) for others. There's also Quest on the terrace, Quest on Johnston etc etc.

You need something with a kitchenette such as 'Quest on willis' or you will feel very strange unable to cook for yourself and having to eat in cafes all the time.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We took Nintendo DSs and the older kids used them, also IPods which they didn't touch! We packed bits and pieces in their bags for throughout the flight, also sweeties which were gone pretty quickly! We flew with Cathay Pacific who were great - lots of snacks, OK in flight programmes etc. Our kids are 10, 9 and 4 and they have settled in really well and quickly - we love it here! We're in Welly and part of the group who meet regularly so we look forward to seeing you when you arrive!
Can't help with accomodation though - sorry...
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.whatsnew.co.nz/428.0.html
This is the website of the 66 Boulcott Street one - very central and cheaper than Quest. Has weekly rates.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Do you know where your job will be exactly?
Do you plan to move into your family rental asap (as soon as you've found it) or to stay in single accommodation for most of the period you quoted?
Are you sure your employer doesn't offer help with finding initial accommodation?
Do you plan to buy a car straightaway?

In Wellington centrally (potentially within walking distance of your office) there are 4 Star Qualmark backpacker hotels www.wellywoodbackpackers.co.nz
www.downtownbackpackers.co.nz
, all ranges of hotel and a category aimed at people in your sort of situation....short term let serviced apartments e.g. www.questonwillis.co.nz
(search under 'Quest' or 'What's new?' (66 Boulcott Street) for others. There's also Quest on the terrace, Quest on Johnston etc etc.

You need something with a kitchenette such as 'Quest on willis' or you will feel very strange unable to cook for yourself and having to eat in cafes all the time.
Hi, thanks for that information.... really appreciate everyones posts! I'll be woring in the CBD for ANZ National Bank. On the accomodation front I was looking for a room or somewhere small for myself Nov-Jan/Feb - then we were going to look at renting a house for us all when the rest of the tribe arrive.... Then we were planning on buying once we figure out where we want to be... (but who knows how long that will be!).

Thanks for the links you sent us - we're going to spend some time looking through them once we can get the kids off the computer!

Hope to chat to you again soon!

Debby & Mark..
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for that information.... really appreciate everyones posts! I'll be woring in the CBD for ANZ National Bank. On the accomodation front I was looking for a room or somewhere small for myself Nov-Jan/Feb - then we were going to look at renting a house for us all when the rest of the tribe arrive.... Then we were planning on buying once we figure out where we want to be... (but who knows how long that will be!).

Thanks for the links you sent us - we're going to spend some time looking through them once we can get the kids off the computer!

Debby & Mark..
... forgot about the car question - we were going to get one in Jan/Feb when the rest of the family arrive.

And on the employer thing - No I don't think there's support for relocation.

Mark & Deb
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by donnaf
We took Nintendo DSs and the older kids used them, also IPods which they didn't touch! We packed bits and pieces in their bags for throughout the flight, also sweeties which were gone pretty quickly! We flew with Cathay Pacific who were great - lots of snacks, OK in flight programmes etc. Our kids are 10, 9 and 4 and they have settled in really well and quickly - we love it here! We're in Welly and part of the group who meet regularly so we look forward to seeing you when you arrive!
Can't help with accomodation though - sorry...
Hello - thankyou for the response! That's good to hear, as the flight was the thing we were all dreading most! Our kids are 8, 6 & 2, hopefully they'll settle well too. How long have you been there now?

Yes we look forward to seeing you guys too once we arrive!

Bye for now.
Debby & Mark.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:15 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Debby & Mark..
You may find it difficult in Wellington City for rental around the time your looking. This is due to the universities starting back up. Not sure about Greater Wellington though.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hello - thankyou for the response! That's good to hear, as the flight was the thing we were all dreading most! Our kids are 8, 6 & 2, hopefully they'll settle well too. How long have you been there now?

Yes we look forward to seeing you guys too once we arrive!

Bye for now.
Debby & Mark.
Hi Debby,
we've been here nearly 9 months now. Are you stopping off on the way or doing it all in one go? We came out 2 years ago on holiday and did the return flight all in one go - the kids were fine but it nearly killed us! We stopped off for 3 days this time which helped to break it up a bit.
The Welly crowd that we meet up with are great, most of us have kids between 1 - 15 (ish) and our expat mates are a great support. Hope all goes well with the impending move - if you want any real estate websites for rentals let me know,
Donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.