Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stones in NZ

Rolling Stones in NZ

Old Apr 16th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rolling Stones in NZ

I’ve just this moment returned from Western Springs in Auckland after seeing the Rolling Stones live.

What a great evenings entertainment.

First off there was a group named Nickleback, sort of the warm up group prior to the main event, they were fairly good but once you heard one of their records……………Mrs. NG said they were very good and I should stop being so miserable.

At 21:00 hrs precisely the boys made their entrance playing over the next 2 hours most of their hits from 40 licks, their current chart topper (I know all the modern jargon for popular music).

The stage was also movable and the band made their way to the middle of the seated crowd on a railway track type affair, so in the end I was no more than 2 spits away from Mick et al.

I’m not paranoid or anything and I like to think I have a sensible type head on my shoulders but…………….I could swear I saw Sir Mick “mouth” to me “You miserable cantankerous old bastard” Ho Ho!

Sir Mick is a pure entertainer and the other members are consummate musicians, it was truly a great night.

In addition I must pass this bit on as well, the crowd were a mixed bunch, pakeha and non-pakeha, old and young but with an emphasis on the older generation, myself included.
There were Grannies and Granddads in the isle bopping with the rest, blokes, again myself included, doing the “Gibbon dancing” swaying from the left foot to the right supposedly in beat with the rhythm, the ladies giving all they got.

Superb and good for us!

There was also the faint smell of “Murray Mints” and stale urine but we won’t go there and I also noticed that more than usual there were about double the number of Portaloos……….ah well it’s an age thing!

Finally if you get the chance……..take it………..the boys won’t be able to tour for ever!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:40 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rolling Stones in NZ

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I’ve just this moment returned from Western Springs in Auckland after seeing the Rolling Stones live.

What a great evenings entertainment.

First off there was a group named Nickleback, sort of the warm up group prior to the main event, they were fairly good but once you heard one of their records……………Mrs. NG said they were very good and I should stop being so miserable.

At 21:00 hrs precisely the boys made their entrance playing over the next 2 hours most of their hits from 40 licks, their current chart topper (I know all the modern jargon for popular music).

The stage was also movable and the band made their way to the middle of the seated crowd on a railway track type affair, so in the end I was no more than 2 spits away from Mick et al.

I’m not paranoid or anything and I like to think I have a sensible type head on my shoulders but…………….I could swear I saw Sir Mick “mouth” to me “You miserable cantankerous old bastard” Ho Ho!

Sir Mick is a pure entertainer and the other members are consummate musicians, it was truly a great night.

In addition I must pass this bit on as well, the crowd were a mixed bunch, pakeha and non-pakeha, old and young but with an emphasis on the older generation, myself included.
There were Grannies and Granddads in the isle bopping with the rest, blokes, again myself included, doing the “Gibbon dancing” swaying from the left foot to the right supposedly in beat with the rhythm, the ladies giving all they got.

Superb and good for us!

There was also the faint smell of “Murray Mints” and stale urine but we won’t go there and I also noticed that more than usual there were about double the number of Portaloos……….ah well it’s an age thing!

Finally if you get the chance……..take it………..the boys won’t be able to tour for ever!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time Mr Nice Guy.
Cant say Ive ever been a fan of The Rolling Stones myself but have to admit to liking some of their songs etc. Have never been able to see what all the hype about Mick was.....how he is considered to be so sexy amazes me, I personally think he looks like an ape & definately not my cup of tea. His talent etc has never been in question. Recently I watch a documentary on Mick & what hes up to today & man did my opinion of the man change. Yes I think hes an incredibly interesting person, I admire what hes done with his life, what hes doing now & his openess at why his marriages dont work etc. I love the relationship he has with his children & if I ever get the chance to see him perform live, I will be there.

Did find it interesting that in your post you commented on the crowds race first...I would have thought it far more important to comment of the diverse age group?? Still thats just me & Im not getting at you at all. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your night out.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:45 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mr Nice Guy, glad you had a good night seeing the 'boys'...
They are a great group to see live i imagine, never seen them myself but have heard them from a friends house when they played at Twickenham Rugby ground, although you did hear the roar of the crowd more. Shame they never came down to the south island, i might have considered going (if i could get the tickets)
Cheers for the info ... Sue
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

ExFelthamhope is an unknown quantity at this point

What a strange way to track Andrew Cross down in NZ, must have some thing to do with his adversary.

Looking at coming out there two, need opinon and advice.

Speak soon

Marshall of Osprey
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:13 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExFelthamhope
What a strange way to track Andrew Cross down in NZ, must have some thing to do with his adversary.

Looking at coming out there two, need opinon and advice.

Speak soon

Marshall of Osprey
Send me an email, will give you any help I can....
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Did find it interesting that in your post you commented on the crowds race first...I would have thought it far more important to comment of the diverse age group?? Still thats just me & Im not getting at you at all. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your night out.
You are correct, shepslady……perhaps it was the alcohol, or the excitement of the night, or that music knows no boundaries in terms of age, race, creed etc

Still bloody good though!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:02 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
You are correct, shepslady……perhaps it was the alcohol, or the excitement of the night, or that music knows no boundaries in terms of age, race, creed etc

Still bloody good though!
We were there too, up on the 'Hill' though. It was fantastic, apart from the w*****s who turned up just before the Stones started and just stood in front of people. Let's just say, they didn't stay Actually, at one stage I got really scared because tempers got very frayed and it was so crowded that if anything had started there was no where to get away from them. The concert was great - the Stones are absolutely brilliant but I wouldn't go to Western Springs again if I didn't have a seat. And I don't think that's an age thing - we had a young backpacker with us and she was scared too.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:40 am
livewire

We were on the hill and had a fantastic view. Everyone around us was very good natured. A group behind us started up a mexican wave and sent it around the stadium a good few times.

The show was fantastic, even though I am a Nickleback fan I couldn't wait for them to leave the stage and for Mick "sex on a stick" Jagger and his mates to come on. Great music: energetic, passionate bluesy rock with the old athems generating the biggest cheers.

The lighting rig and FX were brilliant, fireworks, moving stage, dry grass underbum and a warm evening - what more could we ask for? Sadly, there were loads of poor people there who couldn't afford to buy their own cigarettes and had to share roll ups between themselves

Did a sardine shuffle impression to get out of the venue, got a taxi back to the Crown Plaza within 10 mins of leaving the gig then down the bar for a few iced drinks before paying off the sitter and hitting the sack.

Great evening. Thanks to X for the tickets

Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:13 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it seems as if we were quite lucky in where we were positioned - hundreds left during the concert citing overcrowding and poor viewpoints. It was the number one news item last night.