Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Roll Call - who's on the forum?

Roll Call - who's on the forum?

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roll Call - who's on the forum?

[QUOTE=JaneAS]I thought it might be a nice idea (esp. to Newbies such as myself), to try and get to know the other users on this forum. I'll start:

Hi Kaz here, married with 3 boys living in Nottingham, originally from South England, moved lots as a kid and married a kiwi and went to live in Wellington for the next 15 years. Boys born in Wellington, decided to come back to the UK for a year (5 years ago now) to do some Europe stuff. Never bought a house here as could not commit in the place. Have tried but even though we are cash buyers the agents do not want to sell us anything or so it seems. (Won't digress that is another story)
Oldest son going back to uni in Wellington (leaves Nov 3) so that is going to be a terrible day for me. We are meant to be deciding this week end if we are leaving at the end of the year.
Hub works in IT and dashes up and down the M1 every day, I work at our local further ed college as the admissions manager.
Hate shopping with a passion, any kind and miss not having a sunny christmas.
Anybody want more info re Wellington, schools, IT work etc I'm happy to help.
KAZ
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future

Not as mighty as the mighty CHARLTON (nevermind)
Chay and Kerrie from dartford near Charlton
We are in the final stages of applying for our pr
We are hoping to move to Wellington in July with our 1 and 3 year old sons
Iam a bit worried about not being able to watch the mighty CHARLTON ATHLETIC other than that we cant wait
Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Hi
Paul, Pam, Son's Dennis, Michael

Location the Mighty Portsmouth.

We plan to emigrate when youngest has finished school in 2 years on the skilled Migrant Category...have visited for 4 weeks in 2005, all my Wifes rellys (20 odd) live in New Zealand in Tea Tau, Whangapaora, Dargaville....so we will want to live in Kaikoura on the south island....Ha Ha

Worries: Poor Pay, High Cost of living, Homesickness, Lack of Football, kids not liking it, we will miss our grandaughter!

Hopes: Better Lifestyle, Fishing, Swimming, Beaching, Travel.........

Secret Agenda: My passion is travel, so i want to visit all the places that will now be closer when we are in NZ that would normally be a 24 hour flight away.......we will probably end up in OZ when we are old farts!

Advice: Treat it like a 3 year working holiday......dont sweat the small stuff.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:39 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]
Originally Posted by JaneAS
I thought it might be a nice idea (esp. to Newbies such as myself), to try and get to know the other users on this forum. I'll start:

Oldest son going back to uni in Wellington (leaves Nov 3) so that is going to be a terrible day for me. We are meant to be deciding this week end if we are leaving at the end of the year.KAZ
Ooo big decisions time then! Will be interested to know what you decide.

Is your son (you!) going to have to pay foreign student fees for uni then, since whilst he probably is an NZ citizen, he will presumably not have satisfied the habitual residency test for the previous 3 years???? I know this is how it works in the UK with (returning) British citizens hence the question. (I'm bearing it in mind for my own children you see.) Carmen.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:11 pm
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we (wife and 13 year old son) have our visas approved (it's easier if your wife has citizenship by descent!) and are just about to put our house in Millton Keynes on the market. Once it's sold, we're off to Christchurch. Hopefully by then the NZ dollar will have weakened and the housing market collapsed!
I don't know if we'll stay in Christchurch, but it looks the best bet for now, with the sea, the mountains nearby and lower rainfall, but big enough to have most of the facilities that we might need.
Anybody want to buy a house in Milton Keynes?
Regards,
Steve
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Hi

My name is Suze. I am 38 and have a hubby and 2 childreen aged 10 and 7. My husband has secured a job near Hamilton as a Prison Officer. He is already in the service here but like the health service they are bringing in a similar system to "Agenda for Change" which basically means getting less qualified and less paid people to do the job.

I have been dithering since May as to whether or not we are going. One of my problems is that I suffer claustrophobia and have all on going to Mallorca on a two hour flight let alone a 24 hour one, although it sounds funny it really isn't and is one of the main barriers holding me back along with the salary of $36000nzd. Take a look at the comments on page 12 and 13 of the thread "A prison officers view of NZ" as I have written a piece on my husband's colleague and wife who went out there in May this year. I spoke to them this week on the phone again and it tells you of their views so far in Auckland. I am still dithering but have to make a decision by the end of October as I believe our EOI will expire.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 8:32 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
Not as mighty as the mighty CHARLTON (nevermind)
Chay and Kerrie from dartford near Charlton
We are in the final stages of applying for our pr
We are hoping to move to Wellington in July with our 1 and 3 year old sons
Iam a bit worried about not being able to watch the mighty CHARLTON ATHLETIC other than that we cant wait
Youre right....we have the following problems:

1) 3/4 of the team unable to understand each other

2) Half of them are lazy foreign B@stards who think tracking back is geneology!

3) A Pompous french idiot Manager who nobody can understand

4) A Manager who thinks that when you are 1:2 down its a good idea for him to continue playing with 1 striker for 40 mins and then bring 3 strikers on in last 6 minutes.

5) A billionaire chairman who CANNOT communicate effectively, spend any money and makes terrible personnel decisions

6) We sell our only goal scorer in summer and its the ONLY psoition we failed to fill

Charlton were realy very ordinary but the best of luck to a team that i admire.........

Relegation for us unless we get rid of Manager immediatley and replace with Mike Newell, George Burley , install Bobby Robson Director of Football buy 2 strikers in january.......do you remember when West Ham stuck with Glenn Roeder ????? Thats US
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
Originally Posted by kaz Hen

Ooo big decisions time then! Will be interested to know what you decide.

Is your son (you!) going to have to pay foreign student fees for uni then, since whilst he probably is an NZ citizen, he will presumably not have satisfied the habitual residency test for the previous 3 years???? I know this is how it works in the UK with (returning) British citizens hence the question. (I'm bearing it in mind for my own children you see.) Carmen.
Hi Carmen,
He did ask last year in Feb on a trip home and was told he qualified as a home student but you have set me thinking and I am going to call them tonight and check. I work with students going into HE ED here and know that the 3 year rule applies here so now will check and report back. Still no firm decision for us and divorce rate about to increase I fear.
KAZ :scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:20 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Hi Carmen,
He did ask last year in Feb on a trip home and was told he qualified as a home student but you have set me thinking and I am going to call them tonight and check. I work with students going into HE ED here and know that the 3 year rule applies here so now will check and report back. Still no firm decision for us and divorce rate about to increase I fear.
KAZ :scared:
No don't let it stress you out!!!!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:49 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.
Mike here - wife Sarah and 3 kids.
Moved to Waikanae nr Wellington a month ago and loving it!!!!

Moving into a rental with internet access soon so will catch up with all that's been happenning since we left. Haven't had much of an opportunity to keep up with BE since we sold our business at the end of July.

All of us are having a ball and no regrets.
Catch up soon.
Mike
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Youre right....we have the following problems:

1) 3/4 of the team unable to understand each other

2) Half of them are lazy foreign B@stards who think tracking back is geneology!

3) A Pompous french idiot Manager who nobody can understand

4) A Manager who thinks that when you are 1:2 down its a good idea for him to continue playing with 1 striker for 40 mins and then bring 3 strikers on in last 6 minutes.

5) A billionaire chairman who CANNOT communicate effectively, spend any money and makes terrible personnel decisions

6) We sell our only goal scorer in summer and its the ONLY psoition we failed to fill

Charlton were realy very ordinary but the best of luck to a team that i admire.........

Relegation for us unless we get rid of Manager immediatley and replace with Mike Newell, George Burley , install Bobby Robson Director of Football buy 2 strikers in january.......do you remember when West Ham stuck with Glenn Roeder ????? Thats US
And what about the mighty QPR?
... I'll get my coat.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:17 am
RD1
Just Joined

RD1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm Richard, just got my PR and after I sell my house will be travelling alone but have some friends in Auckland. hopefully that will be January.
After 12 comfortable years in the same company I need a change and it will have to be a big one to get out of this comfort zone before it suffocates me.

Will be hard to leave friends and family behind but I know that it's much easier to keep in touch these days - will be giving internet phones to as many people as possible

have never been to new zealand but somehow it feels right.

I get the feeling I'll be on this forum a fair bit, many similar minded people and honest opinions!

Rich
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Dora is an unknown quantity at this point

lovely post
nice to meet you all.

about us: me, Dora (IT graduate but housewife now), hubbie Paul (maths researcher), 2 girls (6 and 4 1/2) ...lived in France, Switzerland and Berlin but heading to Auckland on a 2 years work visa. It is hubbies dream and I am fed-up of the Berliner 6 months winters so I follow.

If we like it (and particulalry IF we manage financially) we'll lodge our EOI as soon as we settle a bit. Else, hubbie wil continue to appy to get a lecturer job...somewhere else.

we'd like to live a green corner of Auckland but with some good public transport (i wonder if that does exist)... departure is in less than one month...
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
Hello all.
Mike
Welcome back you! Did figure 'no news is good news', but would obviously love to hear about the adventure so far when you're able.

I'm Carmen, married to a kiwi with two girls (5 and now 4 - scary how quickly it goes!) I work for myself part-time ish and hubbie commutes to the city on a daily basis.

Been to NZ many times, going for a few weeks at Xmas, will no doubt move over for a while at some point, be it next year, when eldest finishes primary schooling here or after the delights have flown the nest!!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Welcome back you! Did figure 'no news is good news', but would obviously love to hear about the adventure so far when you're able.

I'm Carmen, married to a kiwi with two girls (5 and now 4 - scary how quickly it goes!) I work for myself part-time ish and hubbie commutes to the city on a daily basis.

Been to NZ many times, going for a few weeks at Xmas, will no doubt move over for a while at some point, be it next year, when eldest finishes primary schooling here or after the delights have flown the nest!!
Carmen,
did you read the Sunday Times this weekend, the trouble is that they don't leave the nest anymore, not until they are in their 30's, trouble is they can't afford to move out of home.
So you might have a long wait.
KAZ
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Carmen,
did you read the Sunday Times this weekend, the trouble is that they don't leave the nest anymore, not until they are in their 30's, trouble is they can't afford to move out of home.
So you might have a long wait.
KAZ
I didn't see the article but I know it can take ages, particularly for boys I think since they realise how good they've got it at home! I think a lot of girls however have a yearning to escape. I know I did. I have said that I will do the best job I can in looking after them until they're 18, and after that I expect to see some serious independence or university studying/partying going on!!!

This begs the question to all those out there with older teenagers - how does it feel when your kids are out having the time of their lives and thus weekends just seem to be a ball to them - you know sleeping in until all hours recovering from Friday night's excess to roll into Saturday night. Moping round looking and feeling awful for all of Saturday only to be transformed by a shower and make-up at 8pm ready to party all over again! I'm wondering if I'll be jealous or not at their carefree adult existance - or do they still seem like kids to their parents? I was wondering this the other day whilst driving home with my two and listening to nursery rhymes or some other such childish blurb in the car. Better enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.