Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rodney region and other things

Rodney region and other things

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

nirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nice
Smile Rodney region and other things

Dear All,

Any opinions on what the Rodney region is like? my family (me the wife and 2 children aged 8 and 10) are looking at this region as we hope it will give us the country/village life but not to far away from auckland for trips,shopping, etc.

We thought Helensville and Orewa looked nice but looking for places to rent around these places and other towns nearer to auckland, there didn't seem many (price range $350 ish pw). Schools looked nice also, my wife especially liked Orewa for the schools.

Although reading some past threads i am concerned that i may not earn enough for this region. I would be working as a nurse and think i could get around $60,000 basic and a few thousand more unsocial hours. So say around $65,000. My wife is a teachers assistant in england and would to try to get the same type of work (although we understand this will be hard) in australia, so say a figure of $15,000 ($11 x 25 hours pw). So we could be potentially have around $80,000 pa (minus roughly $17,000 tax for me and $3,000 pa for the wife) so, $60,000pa. Is this or even $50,000pa enough for the average lifestyle. I Know it depends on a large amount of factors but we are not an extravagant family. But would look to run a car possibly two and a three bed house, medical insurance and usual household bills along with the usual saving for holidays and pensions, etc, etc.

Doesn't sound alot after you start to list what you needed to spend your hard earned cash on!?! However i do understand that it may be more than most and less then some. But really want to work this out as we really, really want to come and start a new life.

Any help and advice would be great and much appreciated.

nirrade.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rodney region and other things

Hiya, we're living in Orewa and absolutely love it We have one school in school and one in Kindy so if you need any help there just holler. We're not extravagent people and can live without the top range camera's and $20-30k cars (we don't keep up with the Jones', we laugh at them!). And as a family of 5 with only one wage coming in and and I'm studying full-time with no student loans etc. we manage off roughly what you're quoting!

Anyhoo, if you need any help/advice/me to look anything up, just yell

Michelle
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, just up the road from Michelle, Carl and the kids and it is possible to do what you are aiming to do, depending on what your priorities are. Our rental is $370pw, 5 minutes from the beach, 15 minutes walk to the same school (a very good primary) and next to the reserve (park), with 3 double (just) bedrooms, big rumpus, garage and OK garden. It is possible, but it may be best to come to these seaside places in (our) winter as there are more rentals available then. Good luck.
PS Helensville is a completely different place to Orewa/Whangaparoa, some people prefer it but you have to be a certain type of person to like that area (according to MrsL who does some work over in the western parts of Rodney).........

/holds breath until all the Helensville/Coatesville/Kumeu folks start responding/
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:13 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nirrade
Dear All,

Any opinions on what the Rodney region is like? my family (me the wife and 2 children aged 8 and 10) are looking at this region as we hope it will give us the country/village life but not to far away from auckland for trips,shopping, etc.

We thought Helensville and Orewa looked nice but looking for places to rent around these places and other towns nearer to auckland, there didn't seem many (price range $350 ish pw). Schools looked nice also, my wife especially liked Orewa for the schools.

Although reading some past threads i am concerned that i may not earn enough for this region. I would be working as a nurse and think i could get around $60,000 basic and a few thousand more unsocial hours. So say around $65,000. My wife is a teachers assistant in england and would to try to get the same type of work (although we understand this will be hard) in australia, so say a figure of $15,000 ($11 x 25 hours pw). So we could be potentially have around $80,000 pa (minus roughly $17,000 tax for me and $3,000 pa for the wife) so, $60,000pa. Is this or even $50,000pa enough for the average lifestyle. I Know it depends on a large amount of factors but we are not an extravagant family. But would look to run a car possibly two and a three bed house, medical insurance and usual household bills along with the usual saving for holidays and pensions, etc, etc.

Doesn't sound alot after you start to list what you needed to spend your hard earned cash on!?! However i do understand that it may be more than most and less then some. But really want to work this out as we really, really want to come and start a new life.

Any help and advice would be great and much appreciated.

nirrade.
Hi,
We're a bit down the road out on the penninsula by this mob and we love it, could spit to the beach, well, of course i wouldn't but it's that close....schools are good, plenty here, i'm the only one working and god do i do some hours but with the poor pay for the fire service i've had to, so we take about the same as lardyl and Michelle etc and we cope. We're not flash, we'd love a bit more but we enjoy it so much !

Any questions just shout !

Al.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We live on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula at Gulf Harbour, a bit further along than Fireman Al. It's a great place to live, lots of beaches, some great eateries (Thai at Manly , amongst others). Close enough to the city for concerts, theatre,events, shopping in Newmarket etc). There's a cinema in Whangaparaoa (larger one at Albany at the Westfield shopping centre), at Silverdale there's Snow Planet, Auckland Luge & Go-karting. We have loads to do up here.

We have bought our house, so out of touch with the rental market. Some excellent schools around this area. We have quite a large salary coming in by NZ standards, though the tax eats alot of this away :curse: but we are in our 40's so in a slightly different position from you. Have you got a job sorted yet?

Have to agree with Lardyl on Helensville, rather strange place with a depressing atmosphere IMO. At least in Kumeu you can tour the wineries if you're feeling a bit down .