Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Road trip! Which direction to travel?

Road trip! Which direction to travel?

Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:31 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip! Which direction to travel?

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
True but a pain if you've got luggage, kids etc. Agree with the ferry suggestion as opposed to flying!!! Wellington runway is sscarrrry :scared:
How so? We're looking to fly down from Auckland... then maybe drive back up.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:37 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minky
Dont be misled by thinking its tiny your max speed here is 100km the roads are mostly one track can be twisty and hilly and if you get behind something slow there are not many double overtaking lanes.
One good rule is double the time it would take in the UK.
We did the camper loop last year from Auckland down the west to Wellington and back up the east side it was good fun and with two children they were happy drawing etc while we drove. Some sites were better than others.
We drove a couple of weeks ago to Tauranga from East Auckland nearly 3 hours that included a lunch break.
When parking here you must park the same way as the traffic and dont park over two spaces either there are plenty of spaces for campervans.
Enjoy the trip we did hence we are here.
Duly noted about the speed limit and especially the width of roads, thank you! I'm sure it will be quite a shock from the dual carriageways here in the Chicago suburbs that are fast becoming the norm on any major-ish road between towns. I'll just imagine I'm either in far-southern Illinois, where single-carriageway roads wind through the hills, or in the back roads of England, should be fine. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
Duly noted about the speed limit and especially the width of roads, thank you! I'm sure it will be quite a shock from the dual carriageways here in the Chicago suburbs that are fast becoming the norm on any major-ish road between towns. I'll just imagine I'm either in far-southern Illinois, where single-carriageway roads wind through the hills, or in the back roads of England, should be fine. Thanks again for the feedback.
Oh I forgot to mention the driving skills are a bit to be desired they love jumping the lights and racing you off at the lights and some nationalities are worst than others so dont go buying a brand new sparkly car. So be warned they dont use there mirrors either happy motoring!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:08 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by minky
Oh I forgot to mention the driving skills are a bit to be desired they love jumping the lights and racing you off at the lights and some nationalities are worst than others so dont go buying a brand new sparkly car. So be warned they dont use there mirrors either happy motoring!
This can be summed up as:
English roads with French drivers.

Thanks for the warning!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:39 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
How so? We're looking to fly down from Auckland... then maybe drive back up.

Kev describes landing in Wellington as being shot down!!! The wind off the Cook Straits whistles across the runway, which is built on reclaimed land with housing pretty close by IMO :scared: We've been into there twice
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:42 pm
Maz

Kev describes landing in Wellington as being shot down!!! The wind off the Cook Straits whistles across the runway, which is built on reclaimed land with housing pretty close by IMO :scared: We've been into there twice
That is pretty scary... we're looking at moving most probably to Wellington, but international flights can only land at Auckland. How else to get down there quickly though? Just had a thought... is there a train we could take? I need to research that... might be a nice way to take in some countryside and relax on our journey.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:49 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
That is pretty scary... we're looking at moving most probably to Wellington, but international flights can only land at Auckland. How else to get down there quickly though? Just had a thought... is there a train we could take? I need to research that... might be a nice way to take in some countryside and relax on our journey.

The Overlander that has just been saved from closure by public demand and that runs from Auckland to Wellington but dont think its as swift a service as you're used to here!!!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 9:35 pm
Maz

The Overlander that has just been saved from closure by public demand and that runs from Auckland to Wellington but dont think its as swift a service as you're used to here!!!
Well I'm in the US, and my parents went on AmTrak (I never have) from Chicago to Washington DC some years ago, and they said it would have been faster to walk.

Great to know the railway from saved from closure. Every country needs a good railway system.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
Just catch the plane, it is a stunning landing on a good day, circles right over the harbour. It is just that if you look down you can see the sea coming to meet you... oh phew, there is the runway.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:06 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Apple12
Just catch the plane, it is a stunning landing on a good day, circles right over the harbour. It is just that if you look down you can see the sea coming to meet you... oh phew, there is the runway.
Actually, as much as I have flown, that sounds downright scary. I showed hubby this thread and the "it's like being shot down" comment and we both agreed it would actually be pretty relaxing to spend the night in Auckland after we arrive, then spend 12 hours on the train, enjoying the scenery, then rent a car in Wellington, and get that nice discount to drive it back up to Auckland when we're going to come back to the US.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:45 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
Actually, as much as I have flown, that sounds downright scary. I showed hubby this thread and the "it's like being shot down" comment and we both agreed it would actually be pretty relaxing to spend the night in Auckland after we arrive, then spend 12 hours on the train, enjoying the scenery, then rent a car in Wellington, and get that nice discount to drive it back up to Auckland when we're going to come back to the US.

Maz I'm sorry. My intention was never to scare you. I'm sure there's plenty of people who disagree with our opinion of Wellington runway!

But I agree with you about doing the Overlander, I'd love to do it one day
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
International flights land at Wellington - the runway's just a bit shorter with water at either end. I learnt to fly light aircraft out of Wellington - great fun! Taking off is a doddle - landing requires slightly more concentration!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:20 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
International flights land at Wellington - the runway's just a bit shorter with water at either end. I learnt to fly light aircraft out of Wellington - great fun! Taking off is a doddle - landing requires slightly more concentration!
Thanks for all the feedback. We've been looking at the Overlander site and agreed that at only $89 NZ for each of us, for a 12-hour train journey... with baggage check-in, no less we'll do that. Then either take it back up when we leave, or drive back, depending on how much time off hubs can get. We can't fly into Wellington from the US. Must land at Auckland first, so it would still mean a change of planes. I think after 16 hours in planes, we'll be rather happy to be on land again, to be honest.