Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Road trip! Which direction to travel?

Road trip! Which direction to travel?

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:49 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip! Which direction to travel?

I know I've seen this somewhere recently in this forum, but haven't had any luck searching.

After getting some beautifully detailed maps, we're looking at distances between towns. Boy, it's all pretty tiny isn't it! Easy to see why people "just pop" up into the mountains in Winter to go skiing. Everything seems in very easy reach.

So anyway (I'll get to the point eventually ), we're looking at driving from Auckland to Wellington (via Tauranga, Rotorua, Naper and Masterton, where we'll stop and spend some time with a friend who owns a vineyard ), spending 2 nights or so in each place.

I know someone said there's a glut of hire cars in either Auckland or Wellington, but can't remember which, but that driving one-way from one to the other was a bit cheaper as they wanted people to drive the cars from one to the other.

Can someone please refresh my memory as to which direction is, or may be cheaper?

Also... can we rent mobile phones at the airport in Auckland?

Thanks anyone who knows the answers to my queries.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:41 am
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all
Default Re: Road trip! Which direction to travel?

Originally Posted by Maz
I know I've seen this somewhere recently in this forum, but haven't had any luck searching.

After getting some beautifully detailed maps, we're looking at distances between towns. Boy, it's all pretty tiny isn't it! Easy to see why people "just pop" up into the mountains in Winter to go skiing. Everything seems in very easy reach.

So anyway (I'll get to the point eventually ), we're looking at driving from Auckland to Wellington (via Tauranga, Rotorua, Naper and Masterton, where we'll stop and spend some time with a friend who owns a vineyard ), spending 2 nights or so in each place.

I know someone said there's a glut of hire cars in either Auckland or Wellington, but can't remember which, but that driving one-way from one to the other was a bit cheaper as they wanted people to drive the cars from one to the other.

Can someone please refresh my memory as to which direction is, or may be cheaper?

I cannot answer the bit about cheap car hire but when we got our campervan form Maui, we were able to borrow a mobile phone. I seem to remember only paying for the credit, the phone was "free"
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:05 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GowHow
I cannot answer the bit about cheap car hire but when we got our campervan form Maui, we were able to borrow a mobile phone. I seem to remember only paying for the credit, the phone was "free"
That sounds a pretty neat deal, thanks for the feedback. How much was it to hire a campervan? That must have been fun!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:18 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
That sounds a pretty neat deal, thanks for the feedback. How much was it to hire a campervan? That must have been fun!
It was great fun (see my blog)

We went for the slightly cheaper option of Backpacker campers - This is a Maui owned brand but the campers are a couple of years old (branded as Maui for the first 2 yrs)

From memory it cost about £70 per day.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:33 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by GowHow
It was great fun (see my blog)

We went for the slightly cheaper option of Backpacker campers - This is a Maui owned brand but the campers are a couple of years old (branded as Maui for the first 2 yrs)

From memory it cost about £70 per day.
Excellent, thanks so much! I've bookmarked your blog and will read it this evening.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Usually the glut of cars is in the south, as people arrive in Auckland and then travel south... however, I suggest you ring the various companies and find out!

My friends got a great deal just after the Lions Rugby tour as the games started in the south and headed north, finishing in Auckland. Big glut of campervans and she got a half price deal to drive it to Christchurch including a free ferry pass across the Cook Strait.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:19 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

www.avis.com

They offer a reduction for taking cars south to north and you can also hire a mobile phone thru them
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:30 am
Maz

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Usually the glut of cars is in the south, as people arrive in Auckland and then travel south... however, I suggest you ring the various companies and find out!

My friends got a great deal just after the Lions Rugby tour as the games started in the south and headed north, finishing in Auckland. Big glut of campervans and she got a half price deal to drive it to Christchurch including a free ferry pass across the Cook Strait.
Thanks dl! Wow half price eh? That's brilliant! Not sure we're 'doing' the South Island as it's more of a fact-finding trip (hopefully) with hols to come if/when we move there. But that's a great deal nonetheless.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:31 am
Maz

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
www.avis.com

They offer a reduction for taking cars south to north and you can also hire a mobile phone thru them
Ooooh excellent, thank you! I have a Hertz Gold card free through my work and it's valid worldwide, so I'll try them, too. I always forget about that little perk, d'oh! Great news about the mobile, too, ta very much!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz

Dont be misled by thinking its tiny your max speed here is 100km the roads are mostly one track can be twisty and hilly and if you get behind something slow there are not many double overtaking lanes.
One good rule is double the time it would take in the UK.
We did the camper loop last year from Auckland down the west to Wellington and back up the east side it was good fun and with two children they were happy drawing etc while we drove. Some sites were better than others.
We drove a couple of weeks ago to Tauranga from East Auckland nearly 3 hours that included a lunch break.
When parking here you must park the same way as the traffic and dont park over two spaces either there are plenty of spaces for campervans.
Enjoy the trip we did hence we are here.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:51 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minky
Dont be misled by thinking its tiny your max speed here is 100km the roads are mostly one track can be twisty and hilly and if you get behind something slow there are not many double overtaking lanes.
One good rule is double the time it would take in the UK.
We did the camper loop last year from Auckland down the west to Wellington and back up the east side it was good fun and with two children they were happy drawing etc while we drove. Some sites were better than others.
We drove a couple of weeks ago to Tauranga from East Auckland nearly 3 hours that included a lunch break.
When parking here you must park the same way as the traffic and dont park over two spaces either there are plenty of spaces for campervans.
Enjoy the trip we did hence we are here.
thanks for the advice - we may well do this for a couple of weeks on arrival and before MrsL is sent out to work!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:26 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
thanks for the advice - we may well do this for a couple of weeks on arrival and before MrsL is sent out to work!!
You'll probably find you cant take a North Island car south on the ferry or vice versa. you have to drop one then pick up another. also be careful of non tarmac roads for inaccesibility or stones through your windscreen. just a couple of tips we managed to find out for ourselves
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:22 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
You'll probably find you cant take a North Island car south on the ferry or vice versa. you have to drop one then pick up another. also be careful of non tarmac roads for inaccesibility or stones through your windscreen. just a couple of tips we managed to find out for ourselves

Just had a quick look on Avis, can't see anything that says you can't go bewtween islands. You could also try Apex who are recommended by Interislander
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Just had a quick look on Avis, can't see anything that says you can't go bewtween islands. You could also try Apex who are recommended by Interislander
You wouldnt want to take one over on the ferry..its much much cheaper to go over without a vehicle and rehire on the otherside
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:27 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
You wouldnt want to take one over on the ferry..its much much cheaper to go over without a vehicle and rehire on the otherside

True but a pain if you've got luggage, kids etc. Agree with the ferry suggestion as opposed to flying!!! Wellington runway is sscarrrry :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.