British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Road trip around the south Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/road-trip-around-south-island-524879/)

Yorksha Mar 27th 2008 6:15 pm

Road trip around the south Island

Hi All,
God its been ages since I was on here last!!! I've a week off work soon and taking a road trip around the south island. Will be starting from home in QT heading up the east coast to CHCH and beyond but not too far then heading back down the west coast back to QT.

Need help on places to visit, good food, stop offs, bars, any meet ups, etc!!!

BTW am still loving it here in En Zed!!! Enjoying my job and QT is taking all of my money too!!! LOL

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice when I was in the UK!!! Best move I ever made!!!

Heath

southerner Mar 27th 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Road trip around the south Island

Hi - drop us a pm if you think you might come through Dunedin.

Other highlights on what I'm guessing might be your itinerary are Moeraki (not just the boulders, the seaside village too), Oamaru historic harbour precinct, Akaroa, Hanmer, Kaikoura, Arthurs or Lewis Pass, Shantytown (if you have kids, its brilliant), the glaciers and the blue pools in Haast Pass.

Enjoy your trip.

happynz Mar 27th 2008 6:29 pm

OK, it ain't all that exciting or earth shattering, but a quick graze in Barker's tasting room in Geraldine is worth stopping for.

pixi-dust Mar 27th 2008 9:54 pm

we're doing this too! Last 2 weeks in May, first in June. Getting into the car at the house ( top of NI!) and just driving as far as we can!
Hoping to see whales in Kaikoura, Christchurch, Fiijordland, Glaciers, snow, Queenstown and Wanaka.....anything else. If we don't have time for everything we can always do it again. I can't wait, I've wanted to see the SI for 3 years and now finally. :D

irnbru14 Mar 27th 2008 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Yorksha (Post 6119882)
Hi All,
God its been ages since I was on here last!!! I've a week off work soon and taking a road trip around the south island. Will be starting from home in QT heading up the east coast to CHCH and beyond but not too far then heading back down the west coast back to QT.

Need help on places to visit, good food, stop offs, bars, any meet ups, etc!!!

BTW am still loving it here in En Zed!!! Enjoying my job and QT is taking all of my money too!!! LOL

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice when I was in the UK!!! Best move I ever made!!!

Heath

Punakiki (spelling is off I think), where the pancake rocks are down the West coast, the cafe there does amazing pancakes! Stayed in a motel in Murchison the other week, found a nice lil cafe just round the corner from it too. Franz Josef I really like, its tiny but a glacier walk is a must do. Arthurs Pass would be a nice wee stop for the night, find a cosy hotel, there is one with a roaring log fire I stopped at for lunch recently. Wanaka for the night, or is that too near to home!?!?

RobClubley Mar 27th 2008 11:36 pm

Have you looked at our blog? Some good stuff on there as a reference for you :)
Kaikoura is fantastic for nature stuff. I can highly recommend the whale watching trip, and swimming with dolphins is an awesome experience.

ohnojo Mar 28th 2008 2:40 am

I can recomend Shag Point which is just before Oamaru. You can see seals basking on the rocks, and swimming about below you and it's also where some yellow eyed penguins hang out. We weren't expecting to see one of those but one came and wandered around about 6 inches from our feet - it was the highlight of our trip :)
It's a lovely place.

Yorksha Mar 28th 2008 6:28 am

Ta All!!!! Gives me something to plan anyway!!!!!!!

Cant wait!!!!

:D