Road Trip

Old Dec 11th 2016, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip

Originally Posted by scottyvisa
I did wonder if the drives might be longer than google maps suggested
Yes the driving time in reality is longer than what a Navigation instrument or Google Maps will report.
Maps and Navigation is good as a guide but I've found they just don't work well as they don't consider traffic or slower moving traffic adequately nor do they consider road works/maintenance. They tend to just look at driving distance and then apply the max speed for that road and don't consider you may be stuck behind a truck or a farm vehicle or whatever for a good few KM's on the single carriageway bits
Old Dec 11th 2016, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

It is really difficult to work out a road trip given that you only have 10 days. I agree with others that you should really be concentrating on (maximum) one island and not travelling virtually the full length of New Zealand in 10 days just to get to Queenstown. You'll just struggle time wise and be driving all the time and not having the benefit of actually sampling anything on the way.

Turangi isn't that good of an option to stay on a road trip. It's just a small town that was originally set up for the workers for the Tongariro Hydro Electric build project in the 1950's. It isn't known for anything other than trout fishing being it's on the banks of the Tongariro River and being at the southern end of Lake Taupo. Fine as small town's go and I've stopped there a few times for a meal on my travels, but you'd be much better off visiting Rotorua and maybe staying over in Taupo for the first night. Also maybe check out the Glow Worm Caves at Waitomo although it is a bit out on a limb.
So many things to do and see just in those places and surrounding and that's not considering the Bay Of Plenty, East Cape or Hawkes Bay.
If you did stay in Taupo you then have the option of scooting over to Hawkes Bay to check out Napier which is a pretty nice area.

Just as a comparison, a couple of years ago we did a Northland road trip, so picked the rental up in Auckland near the airport and went clockwise up the West Coast of Northland, up to Cape Reinga then down the East Coast back to Auckland and that took 10 days and if I'm honest it was a bit of a rush. We'd like to do it again and take 2 weeks so we have more time in KeriKeri, Bay Of Islands & Whangarei. In 10 days we travelled 1500KM's and there's just no way you can average the speed limits due to slow moving vehicles and road works. Really do have to take the time calculation on Google Maps with a pinch of salt.
Anyway, back to your road trip......

The Taranaki Region will be out as you just don't have the time.
It's nice to stop and take in the views of a snow capped Mt. Tongariro/Ruapehu whilst travelling South to Wellington on the Desert Road SH1 assuming the weather allows. A completely stunning place to visit is Castlepoint over on the East Coast from Masterton, however, you'll struggle for time.
Assuming you will be heading down SH1 all the way to the capital there's not much you need to be worried about between them. Southward car museum is pretty good at Paraparaumu if that's your thing and it's a decent enough place to stop for refreshments. Maybe even go West to Paraparaumu beach to be blown about ;-)

Wellington has a pretty decent craft beer scene - look at this craftbeercapitol.com is coming soon
Shows you where all the craft beer pubs are and there's a map you can download/print off.

Never done the South Island West Coast as yet so couldn't comment.

Queenstown is awesome. You'll be missing it in ski season but equally good as a summer tourist resort. Lots to see and do. Loads of shops, bars, cafe's and restaurants...seem to have a vague memory of drinking cocktails from a teapot....!!!
I've stayed there and Te Anau. Both pretty stunning in their own unique ways but vastly different.

Auckland I suppose the must do is the Sky Tower, maybe have a walk down the Viaduct Basin and check out the marina and the boats and have some refreshments down there. Pretty nice area. Auckland War Memorial Museum also pretty good. Maybe visit Kelly Tarletons Sea Life Aquarium which then allows you to check out the Eastern Bays like Mission Bay/St Heliers. Waiheke Island is a major Kiwi holiday destination and I'm sure you'll be able to go over on a boat trip for the day or take a day tour ?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add for Auckland...the Dolphin and Whale safari (from the Viaduct Basin), High Tea at The Langham (but that's because I love cake!) and my favourite trip is to Tiritiri Matangi Island. We've taken friends to One Tree Hill instead of the Sky Tower, if they are not good with heights. You get some great views of Auckland from there. Some great walks in the Waitakeres plus some great beaches on the west coast of Auckland.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

mmm, lunch at the Langham - what a feed!!!!! Or lunch at the Sky Tower is awesome.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Not that frequent so really have to plan it well but you could get the choo choo train from auk to welly. Pick up car there or Picton then hit up the west coast which is an awesome drive to Queenstown.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 3:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Road Trip

Auckland
Turangi
Wellington
Westport <<<<<<<<<<<<<
Fox Glacier
Wanaka
Queenstown
Te Anua
Auckland

Westport may not be the highlight of your trip unless you like dole towns. The coast from Westport down to Haast is spectacular though - one of the great coastal drives of the world.

Just as an idea of driving times, if you were to drive from Westport to Wanaka non-stop, not even stopping for petrol (not that there are many places to stop) it would take about 11 hours. There are loads of pretty places along the way that you really should stop at, plus some massive bluffs with tight hairpin bends that will have everyone in the car puking.

If you overnighted in Hokitika rather than Westport it would be a nicer place and you could even see the glow-worms (for free).
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest choosing an island, north or south and spending all 10 days there.
You are simply trying top do far to much and will regret it as you will see nothing.

for me, north island would be
Auckland
Tauranga (the mount)
gisborne (the drive through the gorge on the way is beautiful)
napier (art deco)
taupo or rotorua (maori culture,, huka falls jet boat, thermal stuff)
New plymouth (via the forgotten highway, views of mount Taranaki)
Wanganui or palmerston north (just because wellingtong is too far for one days drive)
Wellington
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Back from our trip and had the most amazing time! Such a beautiful country! We largely stuck to our original plan and have few regrets. It did involve a lot of driving, but I really enjoyed that, perhaps it's because we live in Okinawa, just the idea of being able to drive for more than 90 minutes was a bonus. We got pretty lucky with the weather most of the time. Wished we had more time in Taupo and Marlborough and would love to include Christchurch next time, definitely plan on going back again to spend more time in one area, but glad we got a taste of a lot of places.

1 - Landed in Auckland, first stop Nando's which made me very happy! Quick trip up Sky Tower then spent the evening relaxing at our B&B.
2 - Drove to Turangi via Orakei Korako Cave and Thermal Park, Haku Falls,some fresh Blueberry picking and Taupau for dinner.
3 - Visited the local Hot Spring Pool, Drove to Wellington, stopped in Bulls for lunch (what a name!), Te Papa museum, Cable Car, Botanical Gardens walk back down to the city. Loved our time here, Wellington is beautiful, but I think a day was enough, we wanted the country not the city.
4- Ferry to Picton at 0230 (ouch!), hiked around Picton for a bit, drive to Havelock along Queen Charlotte Drive, Mussel Pot for lunch (Mussels will never taste the same!), Renwick Wineries, St Arnuad (Lake Roaoiti) then ended up near Westport in an eco lodge which was cool, didn't bother checking out Westport itself.
5- Drive to Franz Josef, stopping at Pancake Rocks and Montiets Brewery. Unfortunately it rained very hard this day so we spend most of it inside.
6 - Hiked some of Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier and then Monro Beach to see the penguins (who didn't get the memo and weren't there) before getting to Wanaka. Weather was too bad for Glacier helicopter rides, but on the plus side that meant it was very peaceful for the hike.
7 - Hiked up Mount Iron, Cycled around the lake and had lunch before driving to Queenstown, checked out the Skyline and Luge which was fun
8- Shotover Jet (so much fun!), Drove to Te Anua, hiked some of the Kepler Track then went to the Te Anua Glowworm Caves, probably our favourite day.
9 - Spend some more time in Te Anua before driving back to Queenstown and flying to Auckland.
10 - Lazy day in Auckland with Harbour Cruise and some time in Devonport before flying home.

I know living somewhere is different to visiting, but still jealous of you all for living there! Also felt much more English than any other English speaking country, especially the Bacon, Tea and Pies!
Old Jan 8th 2017, 12:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you so much for thinking to come back and update us all on how it went.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your whirlwind tour.

I know the Mussel Pot. Yes. Mussels will never be quite the same again.
The West Coast Road is very scenic . We are also yet to find the blowholes actually blowing despite timing to arrive at the right tides and time.

Next time - you want penguins you go to the lower South Island east coast.
You want very scenic beaches , you come to the Top of the South Island and the Abel Tasman.

There is still plenty for you both to see and do.

Glad you enjoyed your NZ trip
Old Jan 8th 2017, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We'll be back for sure.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:27 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good job scottyvisa! When we did our first road trip I was a bit concerned about all the driving, but the scenery along the way dashed any resentment towards having to drive!

People said to us when we moved here that we would end up not doing a lot of the things we did whilst on holiday. You know that we would get caught up in the hum drum of life and not be able to get out as much as what we thought. I'm pleased to say that they were wrong. Most weekends we're out and about trying new hikes/bike rides mixed in with some old favourites. The other day we hiked one of our favourite mountains and then stopped in a vineyard on the way home
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like the dream to me!