Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Road repairs Kiwi style

Road repairs Kiwi style

Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:49 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Road repairs Kiwi style

Extracts from the Kiwi road repair manual

1) Choose a section of road with no potholes, bumps or ridges. This will save money because no repairs will be needed to the road base

2) Put out dozens of cones and 30kph signs. These should extend at least 2 kms either end of the area to be repaired.

3) Do nothing for three weeks.

4) Strip the surface of BOTH carriageways. Never even concider repairing one side at a time, as this would minimise the inconvenience to road users.
If it hasn't rained by teatime pour 1000s of liters of water on to the road base,turning it into something closely resembling wet concrete. This will ensure the maximum damage to paintwork. Repeat the watering daily

5) Do nothing for three weeks.

6) Without doing any repairs (see step 1) cover the now lumpy and potholed surface with a thick layer of hot tar and stones. NEVER roll the stones in, why bother when this will be done for you by passing cars, besides which rolling in would mean that stone damage to paintwork and windscreens would be greatly reduced, minimising insurance claims. Very undisirable.

7) Do nothing for three weeks.

8) Paint new road markings and remove cones and 30 kph signs. Doing this before sweeping will maximise stone damage to paintwork and windscreens.

9) Do nothing for three weeks

10)Sweep the loose stones off the road surface including the newly painted road markings.This will give the new markings a nice worn look. Do not remove the loose stone, just pile them on the shoulder so that wind and rain will carry them back onto the carriageway, ensuring maximum stone damage to paintwork and windscreens.

The result will be perfect, indistinguishable from when you started.

11)Do nothing for 3 weeks

12)Dig up the road again because some prat forgot to repair the watermain/sewers/powercable that run underneath

Always remember that the primary responsibility of a road repair crew is to cause maximum inconvenience to motorists and the maximum damage to their cars.

Last edited by NakiMan; Dec 6th 2012 at 8:52 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road repairs Kiwi style

You've just described SH1 through Caversham in Dunedin.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Now you wouldn't be talking about the Hawera - Wanganui road would you????

We drove it on Sunday - what a bloody mess our car was in afterwards!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:42 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
Now you wouldn't be talking about the Hawera - Wanganui road would you????

We drove it on Sunday - what a bloody mess our car was in afterwards!
How did you guess. I just spent 2 hours getting the "Concrete" off my car after driving that way yesterday.

But I guess it would apply to pretty much any roadworks in the country
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
How did you guess. I just spent 2 hours getting the "Concrete" off my car after driving that way yesterday.

But I guess it would apply to pretty much any roadworks in the country
Never once had to wash concrete off my car in UK.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:12 pm
Enjoying retirement

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Never once had to wash concrete off my car in UK.
Me neither

In 40 years driving in the UK, I never had to have a windscreen replaced.

In 6 years in NZ I've had three

And honestly, its all down to the crappy method we use for road repairs.

Haven't these guys ever heard of Tarmac?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect UK-spec tarmac would just melt in the summer here, Saudi had a similar obvious temp issue, they used similar road repair materials back in the 90's when we were there.

Also worth considering I suspect the GDP/road km is much less here than in Europe, consequently cheaper repair techniques and materials...or no road!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:06 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry my NZ friends, Australia keeps you company with strange road repairs.

Tiz true, the heat makes a difference. Also, apparantly they used to use some sort of glue in the top dressing. This was found to be carconagenic and has been removed.

I still think the fact that one can drive from Melbourne to Perth on sealed roads is quite and achievement.

I love countries with low poulations. One of the drawbacks is that low road usage means relatively expensive costs.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:15 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and the Isle of Man imports a road crew from Ireland every few years and does repairs "in bulk"...with appropriate commitment to quality....
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:24 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Oh and the Isle of Man imports a road crew from Ireland every few years and does repairs "in bulk"...with appropriate commitment to quality....
I think I know to what or whom you are refering but I'll refrain from actually saying it.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect UK-spec tarmac would just melt in the summer here
you make it sound as if NZ gets hot

Most of the country's weather is little different than the UK

Nearly every time I have been the weather has been atrocious
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
you make it sound as if NZ gets hot

Nearly every time I have been the weather has been atrocious
And you haven't made the link yet
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
And you haven't made the link yet
I'll be back in February so break out the thermals and gumboots.

That is if you have had chance to take them off yet
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

I suspect UK-spec tarmac would just melt in the summer here,
The weather does play havoc with the road surfaces,particularly mountain passes. Used to result in it being broken up into potholes and 'eggs' of tarmac. Had a fair few tankslappers after hitting some of them without warning at erm mmm *?@ kmh. (Get off bike for a change of undercrackers)
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You've just described SH1 through Caversham in Dunedin.

and Greville Road on North Shore.

We thought it most strange that they would paint all the lines back on before putting the final surface on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.