Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:26 pm
  #286  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: belfast
Posts: 8
happy g will become famous soon enoughhappy g will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

[QUOTE=brujarerdeb;5030614]Hi D.C. ta for the reply on the other thread. Good luck with your move.

on another note, folks I'm new to this site so please bear with me

At the mo I'm still in the British Army Air Corps, pilot on Lynx, and looking for info as to transferring to the RNZAF as a pilot. Easy enough some may think, but the thing that goes against me is that I'm not a commissioned officer, but a sergeant, so having had previous emails with them across the water in NZ I get the distinct impression that they're not interested in a non-commissioned oik like me. Does anyone have any details on the recruiting side of life over here in Blighty? Obviously I can go through the procedure once I've arrived in NZ to join, I'm just trying to explore all possibilities etc and to keep the expense down of course! (I can fly already, I just need to prove that I can use a knife and fork properly )

Ta in advance

just wondering if there are any ex RAF out there that transfered to the RNZAF, either on their own or as part of the recruitment package?
Trying to get ideas together on whether it would be a good move or otherwise. Like the thought of NZ and lifestyle but keep hearing bad things about wages, crime and attitude towards immigrants.i am still serving and am a airframe propulsion engineer.Would like any bodys thoughts ,big thing being the pay .thanks for your help

"g"
happy g is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:33 pm
  #287  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Back in NZ & loving it - living in Orewa
Posts: 1,183
lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

NZDF pay isn't that great, especially considering the buoyant employment market just now. We've just had our first pay rise for 2 years, which is a mighty 1.5%! There is no equivalent to the AFPRB and no automatic "cost of living" salary increase, which the AFPRB delivers in UK. If you have a CPL and aero engineering experience you would probably be better looking at civil aviation - lots of helo flying all over the country.
lapsed kiwi is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:47 pm
  #288  
Forum Regular
 
rickg37's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hobsonville NZ
Posts: 79
rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi Andy and Debborah welcome to New Zealand

That swaying feeling took nearly a week to leave us properly but neither of us are keen on heights so it may have been standing on the balcony that did it
rickg37 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2007, 9:06 pm
  #289  
Forum Regular
 
rickg37's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hobsonville NZ
Posts: 79
rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Welcome to the thread HappyG

If its money your coming for dont join the NZDF not the biggest payers in the market. Even if you have some cash from a house sale in UK Auckland and the surrounds are an expensive place to live but there is always Ohakea near Palmerston North with towns like this nearby
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10453028

I know two expats who have bought in Fielding and they are both happy with living there.

As for crime I come from the North West and there are plenty of areas and towns I would not consider living in there same here you pick where you want to buy your house, look around and listen to local advice.

Attitude to immigrants, havent seen any bad response's everyone we have met up to now wants to know why we left the UK and what we think of New Zealand up to now, saying that there are a few at work convinced we are here for a quick and easy entry to the country and will be off as soon as we become eligble for some superannuation, some may be some are not but work is very familiar just perhaps not at the same pace it depends where in the UK you have worked.

For us the move has worked we have had tears and Tracy misses her family but life is normal and we have met some good people that have the same experiences as us so it helps talking through anything that happens.

There are some good threads on this and other forums on life here so if you read all the good and bad and ask people questions that concern you you may prepare yourself because it is a change but for most a good and an enjoyable one

Cheers Rick & Tracy
rickg37 is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:31 am
  #290  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: belfast
Posts: 8
happy g will become famous soon enoughhappy g will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
NZDF pay isn't that great, especially considering the buoyant employment market just now. We've just had our first pay rise for 2 years, which is a mighty 1.5%! There is no equivalent to the AFPRB and no automatic "cost of living" salary increase, which the AFPRB delivers in UK. If you have a CPL and aero engineering experience you would probably be better looking at civil aviation - lots of helo flying all over the country.
Thanks for the info
Money is not the biggest thing ,however the sad fact is that it makes the world go round ,i want to come out to new zealand for a lot more than money,the change in life stye and the big outdoors ,and the chance to bring my kids up away from the rat race that is the UK.I am a jnco with 17 years in aero engineering ,do you know figures for what a cpl rnzaf earns?
cheers
"G"
happy g is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:40 am
  #291  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: belfast
Posts: 8
happy g will become famous soon enoughhappy g will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by rickg37
Welcome to the thread HappyG

If its money your coming for dont join the NZDF not the biggest payers in the market. Even if you have some cash from a house sale in UK Auckland and the surrounds are an expensive place to live but there is always Ohakea near Palmerston North with towns like this nearby
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10453028

I know two expats who have bought in Fielding and they are both happy with living there.

As for crime I come from the North West and there are plenty of areas and towns I would not consider living in there same here you pick where you want to buy your house, look around and listen to local advice.

Attitude to immigrants, havent seen any bad response's everyone we have met up to now wants to know why we left the UK and what we think of New Zealand up to now, saying that there are a few at work convinced we are here for a quick and easy entry to the country and will be off as soon as we become eligble for some superannuation, some may be some are not but work is very familiar just perhaps not at the same pace it depends where in the UK you have worked.

For us the move has worked we have had tears and Tracy misses her family but life is normal and we have met some good people that have the same experiences as us so it helps talking through anything that happens.

There are some good threads on this and other forums on life here so if you read all the good and bad and ask people questions that concern you you may prepare yourself because it is a change but for most a good and an enjoyable one

Cheers Rick & Tracy
Thanks for your time and effort in replying
I know what you mean about houses my wife is from the north west so finding the right area is all ways down to a little bit of research.At the moment i am in the early stages of applying but i am very keen to see it through to the end .One quick question my sound dumb but what is "superannuation"
thank you for your help

"G"
happy g is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm
  #292  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Back in NZ & loving it - living in Orewa
Posts: 1,183
lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by happy g
Thanks for the info
Money is not the biggest thing ,however the sad fact is that it makes the world go round ,i want to come out to new zealand for a lot more than money,the change in life stye and the big outdoors ,and the chance to bring my kids up away from the rat race that is the UK.I am a jnco with 17 years in aero engineering ,do you know figures for what a cpl rnzaf earns?
cheers
"G"
I can probably find that out for you.
And in reply to your other question, "Super" is a pension scheme. One of the advantages of working for the NZDF is that you get a very good super scheme; it is contributory, but the govt contributes nearly twice what the employee does, and it is invested very well. You get it all as a lump sum when you leave
lapsed kiwi is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:39 pm
  #293  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: belfast
Posts: 8
happy g will become famous soon enoughhappy g will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I can probably find that out for you.
And in reply to your other question, "Super" is a pension scheme. One of the advantages of working for the NZDF is that you get a very good super scheme; it is contributory, but the govt contributes nearly twice what the employee does, and it is invested very well. You get it all as a lump sum when you leave
cheers for that lapsed kiwi
As for the "super" thing i was unaware of that until now,i take it that you are serving or have served ?.As i have said this is one big step in to the unknown at the moment and all the info that we can gleam is gratefully accepted.I think it is time i filled in the forms and see were they take me and mine.
thanks again

"G"
happy g is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:50 pm
  #294  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: belfast
Posts: 8
happy g will become famous soon enoughhappy g will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by rickg37
Welcome to the thread HappyG

If its money your coming for dont join the NZDF not the biggest payers in the market. Even if you have some cash from a house sale in UK Auckland and the surrounds are an expensive place to live but there is always Ohakea near Palmerston North with towns like this nearby
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10453028

I know two expats who have bought in Fielding and they are both happy with living there.

As for crime I come from the North West and there are plenty of areas and towns I would not consider living in there same here you pick where you want to buy your house, look around and listen to local advice.

Attitude to immigrants, havent seen any bad response's everyone we have met up to now wants to know why we left the UK and what we think of New Zealand up to now, saying that there are a few at work convinced we are here for a quick and easy entry to the country and will be off as soon as we become eligble for some superannuation, some may be some are not but work is very familiar just perhaps not at the same pace it depends where in the UK you have worked.

For us the move has worked we have had tears and Tracy misses her family but life is normal and we have met some good people that have the same experiences as us so it helps talking through anything that happens.

There are some good threads on this and other forums on life here so if you read all the good and bad and ask people questions that concern you you may prepare yourself because it is a change but for most a good and an enjoyable one

Cheers Rick & Tracy
just wondering if you swapped with the last package,or if you did on your own ?It feels weird for every answer i get i get another 10 questions ,pensions,wages,cost of living,pvr,it all just keeps comming.
happy g is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:59 pm
  #295  
Forum Regular
 
rickg37's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hobsonville NZ
Posts: 79
rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi happyg

yeah I came over with the recruitment package, any questions just ask away plenty of people to answer

Rick
rickg37 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:10 pm
  #296  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Hobsonville
Posts: 158
annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by rickg37
Hi happyg

yeah I came over with the recruitment package, any questions just ask away plenty of people to answer

Rick
Hi Rick

Was wondering if you could help me, just filing out ird form and they are asking for an address, obviously we dont have one yet, can you remember what you did as RNZAF are asking for these forms back.

Hope you are still enjoying yourselves

Thanks

Annxx
annbee is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:58 am
  #297  
Forum Regular
 
rickg37's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hobsonville NZ
Posts: 79
rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by annbee
Hi Rick

Was wondering if you could help me, just filing out ird form and they are asking for an address, obviously we dont have one yet, can you remember what you did as RNZAF are asking for these forms back.

Hope you are still enjoying yourselves

Thanks

Annxx

Hi Ann for my IRD number I used the private bag address at Whenuapai on Wellingtons advice even though the form said not to and mine was sorted for my arrival. Tracy and the kids sorted theirs out once we arrived as there is an IRD office right next door to the hotel in Takapuna and you have time of in the first two weeks of the induction course for that sort of thing and you will have a married quarter address for those

Enjoying the midwinter weather although it is better than the UK and my Oranges are ripe enough to pick now not a bad crop for late winter



Rick
Attached Thumbnails RNZAF / RAF transfers.-midwinter-oranges-2-.jpg   RNZAF / RAF transfers.-midwinter-oranges-1-.jpg  
rickg37 is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:26 am
  #298  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: belfast
Posts: 8
happy g will become famous soon enoughhappy g will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by rickg37
Hi happyg

yeah I came over with the recruitment package, any questions just ask away plenty of people to answer

Rick
hi rickg37
just a few questions first ,i am trying to work out if this the right thing for myself and my family.I am still serving and dont know the implications on coming out early will have on my pension.I have served 17 years and i have 5 years left to my 22,did you come out on the redundices or just finish your time? .I realize that the pay is nothing compared to the RAF however if i have my pension i will be ok.When you came across did you keep your rank or were you just offered a post as they required ?As you can see i am in the first stages however i have become some what disillusioned with the RAF i am about to start my 6 th op tour and i know when my 7 th will begin all ready.
thanks for your time.
"G"
happy g is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:41 pm
  #299  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Barrow in Furness waiting to fly out to Auckland on Feb 12!
Posts: 59
richyandkat will become famous soon enoughrichyandkat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hello all, It's raining in the uk, surprise surprise!

I know this has prob been on before but I was just wondering if It's worth bringing washing machines, fridges, tumble dryers etc out with us? Will our TV work out there?? any other advice on what to bring out in the container??

All advice is appreciated

Cheers
Richy and Kat
richyandkat is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:39 pm
  #300  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,813
happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by richyandkat
Hello all, It's raining in the uk, surprise surprise!

I know this has prob been on before but I was just wondering if It's worth bringing washing machines, fridges, tumble dryers etc out with us? Will our TV work out there?? any other advice on what to bring out in the container??

All advice is appreciated

Cheers
Richy and Kat
Your whiteware will work fine, probably need to have the plugs changed. As for TVs, I understand there's a different PAL system here so maybe not. I read something about being able to run DVDs or the sort on the UK TVs but not being able to receive broadcast signals.
happynz is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.