British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Riots. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/riots-727900/)

Justcol Aug 10th 2011 5:29 am

Re: Riots.

from what i can see this is nothing to do with race, the initial protest was race linked,
people being singled out by police etc etc but whats going on now is not linked to race or ethnicity at all
and i think anyone who is trying to make that link it way off the mark with whats going on

Rachelb82 Aug 10th 2011 8:01 am

There are some good caring people still about, these are the ones who make you proud. Social Networks can do good as well. :wub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14456857 :)

hazeandsteve Aug 10th 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9546144)
I totally agree, get the army in, get rid of all the media from the area and give the thugs a good thrashing.

...and what makes you think some twenty year old who's just spent a year in the middle east, fighting for democracy, is going to accept orders to beat the crap out of his countrymen?
I'm an ex squaddie, and gave up on this thread on the second page. Th army may be the end to all evils as far as the government is concerned, but they're still british citizens. leave the poor bastards out of it, they've got enough on their consciences.

lardyl Aug 10th 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9549846)
...and what makes you think some twenty year old who's just spent a year in the middle east, fighting for democracy, is going to accept orders to beat the crap out of his countrymen?
I'm an ex squaddie, and gave up on this thread on the second page. Th army may be the end to all evils as far as the government is concerned, but they're still british citizens. leave the poor bastards out of it, they've got enough on their consciences.

absobloody-lutely

billingham Aug 10th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9549846)

That's really strange - there was a point where the country could have descended into total anarchy, the police were being outnumbered and overrun, British people were being put in real danger - wouldn't the Army (like the Police) want to step in and defend their country? Isn't that what they are paid for? Not being funny, just don't understand.

samkate Aug 10th 2011 10:01 am

Shocking wots happening in London, so bizarre the state of anarchy, couldnt believe it when i saw it on the news. Keep safe Londoners

Rachelb82 Aug 10th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by samkate (Post 9549967)
Shocking wots happening in London, so bizarre the state of anarchy, couldnt believe it when i saw it on the news. Keep safe Londoners

Not just London anymore, Most of England's youths has gone mental. :scaredhair:
Its soooo scary, Not reached Preston yet but gangs seem to want to loot and copy others they see on TV... I have family in Manchester, London and Liverpool i hope they stay safe.
I feel so sorry for the Police, they can't do anything or risk being done for accidently injuring one of those Thuggish Morons. Bring out Teargas, water cannons, batons and rubber bullets.

Justcol Aug 10th 2011 11:21 am

for god sake will people calm down, its ridiculous everyone getting in a flap
about this crap.
Its a few riots and looting not a bloody martian invasion :thumbdown:

Keep Calm & Carry On

Expat Kiwi Aug 10th 2011 11:23 am

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already.

But aren't there a lot of similarities with the Toxteth riots in 1981? Back then there was a similar economic downturn, lots of tension between youth and police: disaffected, disconnected youth (no social networks back then)

If I recall correctly it was far, far more violent then than what's going on now - tear gas was used, multiple buildings burned to the ground. There may have been fatalities. There were also riots in Bristol and London. I can appreciate why the police are trying to use as little force as possible, they're even backing off using less aggressive measures such as water cannon. It could so easily get out of hand.

When it all finished there was a lot of navel gazing, some major report was complied and out of it came things like the Liverpool garden festival (which I went to with my family and still have the pics)

Out of the ashes some good will rise.

Rachelb82 Aug 10th 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9550091)
about this crap.

Keep Calm & Carry On

Would Love to be able to, But it just makes me soooo angry to see :curse:
Its on the News every 5 mins, and the amount of videos and photos on internet enough to make me want to go out with a bat!!!!
People losing their livelihood, cars, lives....

Its easier to Keep calm and relax when they are talking about the clean up :wub:

OK i am talking a deep breath and calming down! :unsure:

Rachelb82 Aug 10th 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9550094)
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already.

But aren't there a lot of similarities with the Toxteth riots in 1981? Back then there was a similar economic downturn, lots of tension between youth and police: disaffected, disconnected youth (no social networks back then)

If I recall correctly it was far, far more violent then than what's going on now - tear gas was used, multiple buildings burned to the ground. There may have been fatalities. There were also riots in Bristol and London. I can appreciate why the police are trying to use as little force as possible, they're even backing off using less aggressive measures such as water cannon. It could so easily get out of hand.

When it all finished there was a lot of navel gazing, some major report was complied and out of it came things like the Liverpool garden festival (which I went to with my family and still have the pics)

Out of the ashes some good will rise.

Hello

This was a bit before my time but i am now going to google it.

Out of the ashes some good will rise. - i like this and i'm sure your right. It will bring the country together, i like seeing how many people have got together for the clean ups.
As soon as the riots hit manchester someone posted a meetup for the morning clean up.. 100's of people working together to put right the mess the Thugs have left.

Stormer999 Aug 10th 2011 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9550091)
about this crap.

Keep Calm & Carry On

Yes well thanks for the reassurance I'm sure that will help immensely.....:blink:

DC10 Aug 10th 2011 12:47 pm

I went for coffee at work this morning (can't really say where, probably a bit commercially sensitive) and saw 200 police from up north and Wales seated, having breakfast. Obviously drafted into London and staying, shall we say, in the postcode.

Now that was reassuring.

lardyl Aug 10th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9550233)
Yes well thanks for the reassurance I'm sure that will help immensely.....:blink:

nah it's not reassurance - - - he just wants to sell some tee-shirts/coasters/posters :p

Kija Aug 10th 2011 12:53 pm

I'm very shocked and saddened by what's going on.