British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Riots. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/riots-727900/)

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 2:48 am

Re: Riots.

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9551839)
This is the next part

Not sure I agree with the cutting from that blog. Those reasons to feel powerful and having been told you are crap are valid reasons to do what they did? What ever the reasons there is never ever an excuse to do what these mindless bastards did to their neighbours. There are ways of doing things, peaceful ways. I have had lots of shit and bad luck in my life and years of others making me feel useless and worthless and hated...LOADS of it from birth, I have never rioted. Its all bollocks to try to excuse the inexcusable or someone trying to be bean baggy. I have been really skint too, with no qualifications at all but I got off my arse and did something, did loads of crap poorly paid jobs too. I also left home at 18 on a poorish wage and got by in my crappy bedsit with said job and no handouts.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9551842)
Advice given to rioters to protect themselves

http://emptysthemepark.files.wordpre.../08/7mxcyz.jpg

Great, and I wonder why I wanted the bastards shot. Stiil do if it happens again so do loads of other people I have spoken to, kiwis included, one a grey haired lady.

Expat Kiwi Aug 11th 2011 2:56 am

Well of course that makes it right then ;) chop their knackers off! hey G?

Expat Kiwi Aug 11th 2011 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9551845)
Not sure I agree with the cutting from that blog. Those reasons to feel powerful and having been told you are crap are valid reasons to do what they did?

Ipso facto yes. Unless you can think of another valid reason?

What ever the reasons there is never ever an excuse to do what these mindless bastards did to their neighbours. .
Now you're confusing reason with excuses. There's always a reason why these things happen, excuses are what people use to get out of facing up to the consequences of their actions.

If you don't get at the reason you won't be able to prevent it from happening again. It seems like every generation has its period of oppression and discontent. It's a shame that the lessons have to be re-learned the hard way by every future generation.

After what we've seen in places like Greece the only thing that surprises me is it took this long for it to happen in Britain.

bourbon-biscuit Aug 11th 2011 3:58 am

Some brilliant posts on this thread :)

I wholeheartedly agree with the distinction made between reasons and excuses.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 4:58 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 9551901)
Some brilliant posts on this thread :)

I wholeheartedly agree with the distinction made between reasons and excuses.

Read in the papers today that many, many london locals feel that there was no other reason for the riots other than that they 'simply could do it'..and get away with it too. All this utter bollocks about poverty et al. Psychobabble about excuses and the like, I appreciate there is a huge gulf betwixt rich and poor but where else does this rioting go on regularly? Because poverty and the rich/poor gulf is everywhere. In the Gaza strip they are wildly impoverished (and hugely shat on) but the only thing they riot about is what the Jewish state heaps upon them. I don't think they go out regularly looting..point is they have a genuine grievance..none of these wankers in London did. It really irks me even when I get a whiff of sympathy or raison d'etre for what these bastards did when I read about an elderly man beaten into the IT unit..his crime? Trying to put out a fire. I say again shoot a few of the scum.

bourbon-biscuit Aug 11th 2011 5:24 am

Just because I don't want the looters shot doesn't mean I feel any less horrified and upset about what's happened or distressed for the victims. I also don't want looters let off ... I just don't want them shot or their hands chopped off!!! Have you considered Saudi Arabia for your next move, Genesis? :D

Giantaxe Aug 11th 2011 5:34 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 9552022)
I just don't want them shot or their hands chopped off!!! Have you considered Saudi Arabia for your next move, Genesis? :D

China might be a better bet. I think they're world leaders in executions.

Stormer999 Aug 11th 2011 6:28 am

When we have enough police back on the city streets to quell the present riots, which appears are the amalgamation of local gangs, the gangs will split up go back to their own patches and precede to make locals lives a continuing misery at a less reported level. The problem does not go away, their parents couldn't care as they were most likely members of the same gang when they were younger, the police stay wide of the situation as they have gone back to lower numbers and are scared of flaring another uprising by getting involved and life goes back to sh*t. Exactly as it was before kicking off and until next excuse.
Cameron is correct when he says some parts of the UK are sick, but what he fails to see is that they have been 'sick' for a very long time and there are a hell of a lot more sicko's than he or his realise.
I think it has gone too far for curing and now requires controlling.....:thumbdown:

Expat Kiwi Aug 11th 2011 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9551993)
Read in the papers today that many, many london locals feel that there was no other reason for the riots other than that they 'simply could do it'..and get away with it too. All this utter bollocks about poverty et al. Psychobabble about excuses and the like, I appreciate there is a huge gulf betwixt rich and poor but where else does this rioting go on regularly? Because poverty and the rich/poor gulf is everywhere. In the Gaza strip they are wildly impoverished (and hugely shat on) but the only thing they riot about is what the Jewish state heaps upon them. I don't think they go out regularly looting..point is they have a genuine grievance..none of these wankers in London did. It really irks me even when I get a whiff of sympathy or raison d'etre for what these bastards did when I read about an elderly man beaten into the IT unit..his crime? Trying to put out a fire. I say again shoot a few of the scum.

If they "simply could do it" then why isn't it happening all the time? what's so different about this past week to last month, or last year.

"I say again shoot a few of the scum"
But isn't that what ignited the trouble in the first place: the Police shooting of Mark Duggan :sneaky:.

Ever wondered G if firing up the Quattro does more harm than good?

Expat Kiwi Aug 11th 2011 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9552082)
Cameron is correct when he says some parts of the UK are sick, but what he fails to see is that they have been 'sick' for a very long time and there are a hell of a lot more sicko's than he or his realise.
I think it has gone too far for curing and now requires controlling.....:thumbdown:

He came back from his foreign holiday to say that did he? I thought they were 'all in this together' over there. Some are more 'in' than others it would seem.

Of course, he accepts no responsibility for this. No doubt when he gets kicked out at the next election he too will tour Australasia and charge $1000 a head for the privilege of hearing him speak.

Expat Kiwi Aug 11th 2011 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Rachelb82 (Post 9550114)
Hello

This was a bit before my time but i am now going to google it.

Out of the ashes some good will rise. - i like this and i'm sure your right. It will bring the country together, i like seeing how many people have got together for the clean ups.
As soon as the riots hit manchester someone posted a meetup for the morning clean up.. 100's of people working together to put right the mess the Thugs have left.

It's heartening to see communities coming together under such difficult circumstances. It's rather like the way people mobilized in their thousands to help out with the flood recovery over here.

Perhaps society isn't as sick as Cameron would like us to think it is? there are just parts that need fixing and given a reason to belong again.

We never see things like this in times of prosperity, or do we?

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 6:52 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 9552022)
Just because I don't want the looters shot doesn't mean I feel any less horrified and upset about what's happened or distressed for the victims. I also don't want looters let off ... I just don't want them shot or their hands chopped off!!! Have you considered Saudi Arabia for your next move, Genesis? :D

Indeed, alas its a bit too hot for me. Can I have a beer there?

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9552034)
China might be a better bet. I think they're world leaders in executions.

Great, I am a firm believer in the death penalty. The one thing you can be sure of they won't reoffend, 2ndly the money you would have wasted on encarcerating the trash could be spent wisely on education to ensure the next lot out of school have a better view on life.

Charismatic Aug 11th 2011 6:58 am

I think Cameron would rather paint them as rebels without a cause than acknowledge the deep decay of British society. He is ignoring the causes and concentrating on treating the symptoms.

It's often more difficult and less popular to show real leadership and admit to the underlying causes of social discontent than to try and cleave a bit of cheap political gain from the situation. However government should always be about self assessment and reaching towards much higher ideals.

Also the right to protest must be recognized in a democracy. Weather it's Bob Crow and his union (who will probably actually had a much bigger financial impact than the recent riots), people protesting bank bailouts, anti-abortionists etc. I may think they are nutcases fighting a lost cause but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to legitimate protest.

If the legacy of Thatcher is a violent form of protest I may loath their methods but it doesn't diminish their protest as a fundamental democratic right. The police need to be careful trading this line to make sure they protect property but don't tread on legitimate protest, which is what they have done very well so far :).

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9552086)
If they "simply could do it" then why isn't it happening all the time? what's so different about this past week to last month, or last year.

But isn't that what ignited the trouble in the first place: the Police shooting of Mark Duggan :sneaky:.

Well look why don't we worry every time we put one in prison, they might come out REALLY angry and hurt lots of people?? If the law was passed you are likely to be shot if you riot two things would happen. 1st forewarned is forearmed..rellies would have not much to complain about, 2nd rioting would not happen..well it might once but unlikely to again with a few dead rats in the street for other rats to see.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9551868)
Ipso facto yes. Unless you can think of another valid reason?

Now you're confusing reason with excuses. There's always a reason why these things happen, excuses are what people use to get out of facing up to the consequences of their actions.

If you don't get at the reason you won't be able to prevent it from happening again. It seems like every generation has its period of oppression and discontent. It's a shame that the lessons have to be re-learned the hard way by every future generation.

After what we've seen in places like Greece the only thing that surprises me is it took this long for it to happen in Britain.

Hmm, one of the 1st bits of life's detritus in court was a primary school class room assistant. Poor love, nothing to live for, no hope, no nothing. I can fully understand why the moron chose to riot and loot. I rest my case about the argument that they did it because they could.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9552086)

And by the same token if they have been so down trodden for so long as many seem to suggest why has their not been wholesale rioting BEFORE this juncture?? Again I say they did because they could.

Charismatic Aug 11th 2011 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552140)
And by the same token if they have been so down trodden for so long as many seem to suggest why has their not been wholesale rioting BEFORE this juncture??

Who knows which straw will break the camels back until it happens?

HelsnLee Aug 11th 2011 7:35 am

Difficult one!...When the uneducated or simply moronic people decide to torch loot..etc what could be a deciding factor could I get shot today...mmm even their simple brains can work out that is not a good option and they may stay at home!
Last night I was in my store and I had kids ramming my windows with trollies and throwing cones, general abuse! I pulled down the shutters and sat tight with staff.:unsure: This was very scary and un-nerving and yet only a fraction being experienced in some other cities! Luckily we have security on site who sorted it immediately:thumbsup:
Genesis although maybe your more extreme than me i do think you have a point! A slap on the wrist is not good enough. Its like dealing with children there have to be consequences for your actions. Everyday i have to deal with theft by shoplifters and we call the police and if its your first offence you get a caution then they do the traffic signal method green amber red where they apply fixed penalty notices so you have to get caught thieving 4 times before you get ur day in court and then its a fine and criminal record. Ive got prolifics who are banned and should be done for tresspassing/burglary but the police dont have powers to do anything!:thumbdown:
I've also had people carrying needles knives and all the police do is confiscate them! :blink:

Charismatic Aug 11th 2011 7:35 am

Well police mostly showed restraint.

HelsnLee Aug 11th 2011 7:53 am

Poor police enduring this!....every rioting scum gets what they deserve!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456050

Margaret Parkinson Aug 11th 2011 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9551522)
I think Nero was in Rome.

Some people are very clever with their feet (copyright The Goon Show)

Sorry my mistake , seen to many movies.

The source of this phrase is the story that Nero played the fiddle (violin) while Rome burned, during the great fire in AD 64.

There are two major flaws with the story. Firstly, there was no such instrument as the fiddle (violin) in first century Rome. There's no definitive date for the invention of the violin, or of its synonym as fiddle, but it certainly wasn't until at least the 16th century. If Nero played anything during the Rome fire, it was probably the lyre.

Secondly, the story may be completely false and Nero may very well not have neglected his duty at all. Nero died four years later, and we should remember that history is written by the victors. The historian Suetonius records the Nero was responsible for the fire and that he watched it from a tower while playing an instrument and singing about the destruction of Troy. Others record this story merely as a rumour.

By modern-day standards Nero certainly appears a bizarre character, but that doesn't make this story true. Roman scholars differ over interpretations of events surrounding the fire. The rivalries and conflicting accounts, even those in contemporary reports, make the 'fiddling' story uncertain.

So could it be the papers got it wrong about Mr Cameron and he was here all the time?

June

old dragon Aug 11th 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by HelsnLee (Post 9552200)
Poor police enduring this!....every rioting scum gets what they deserve!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456050

Absolutely agree!!

lardyl Aug 11th 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9551804)
So how does Singapore manage it with corporal punishment, the death penalty and draconian punishment? I would vote all 3 in tomorrow for the UK and wherever else needs it. As I said there is order in Singapore and crime is very, very low so I understand. I am sick of the masses being shat on by the minority who then get all the "oh he's poor deprived lad" shite. We need to get tough on crime. What has anyone to fear about getting tough on crime if they are not going to break the law? Make punishment for serious crimes as tough as you like. It will never affect me because I behave. But it will have an effect (and a permanent one in some cases) on some of the world's bigger shits.

Nice "I'm All Right Jack" attitude.

Hope your kids don't go off the rails and they can do that for a whole host of reasons, other than your whipping their asses with a strap (although that does help). I know full well and have seen it and have seen what coming down hard on that individual causes, more pain more bad behaviour and violence. Of course you may know different. Just come up with some evidence other than the Singaporean ideal to support it.

Singapore's crime rate is shall we say under-reported, well according to my workmates who spent several years working there who described plenty of crime that was hushed up to keep the figures looking good.

So why are you not living in a Police state? Or the good ol USA where you can see scumbags killed by the state. NZ would seem to be a daft place to live all gangs, no CP, no death penalty......bizzare.

Consequences need to be logical and in proportion, as I've said before being on the streets for a buzz and following your mates into a store to knock off a pair of Nikes does not proportionate with a bullet in the head or even the birch. As a civilisation we got over that about 150 years ago.

These toe-rags who steal, start fires and wreak havoc should have to spend real time cleaning it up, pay reparations and find out the consequences of their actions. I agree with the idea to stop any benefits and removing them from social housing if what they did was serious enough. But shooting them, get real, it's Britain not Pyongyang.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9552492)

What because I have no intention of commiting crime..I'm alright Jack? Are you mad? Stuff the law breakers. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9552492)

Hope your kids don't go off the rails and they can do that for a whole host of reasons, other than your whipping their asses with a strap (although that does help). I know full well and have seen it and have seen what coming down hard on that individual causes, more pain more bad behaviour and violence. Of course you may know different. Just come up with some evidence other than the Singaporean ideal to support it.

Singapore's crime rate is shall we say under-reported, well according to my workmates who spent several years working there who described plenty of crime that was hushed up to keep the figures looking good.

So why are you not living in a Police state? Or the good ol USA where you can see scumbags killed by the state. NZ would seem to be a daft place to live all gangs, no CP, no death penalty......bizzare.

Consequences need to be logical and in proportion, as I've said before being on the streets for a buzz and following your mates into a store to knock off a pair of Nikes does not proportionate with a bullet in the head or even the birch. As a civilisation we got over that about 150 years ago.

These toe-rags who steal, start fires and wreak havoc should have to spend real time cleaning it up, pay reparations and find out the consequences of their actions. I agree with the idea to stop any benefits and removing them from social housing if what they did was serious enough. But shooting them, get real, it's Britain not Pyongyang.

We have differing views. I would like to see a few rioters and looters shot. Maybe if you were in amongst it with your loved ones you might change your tune?? I make no apologies for it. As I have said previously I believe it is time for society to get really tough on these verminous members of society. You will be delighted to know lots are getting bail and those who are getting sentenced are getting a mere few weeks in jail. Wow that really is an incentive to never do it again. You prefer liberal justice I prefer it tough. BTW a a bit of a stupid comment suggesting I should live in a police state and not NZ. I chose the country not its laws.

Snazishaz Aug 11th 2011 11:07 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9546070)
So there you have it kids looting and rioting with no consequences for their actions so they become the "poor wee kids all cought up with the big bad men and who didnt know any better" my arse these kids are clever enough to choose to loot, they know the basic right or wrongs and they choose to break the law knowing only too well that there will be little to no action taken against them :frown: as far as they go i say bring back borstal or put them into the army cadets or the actual army if they are old enough.

We didnt create a dysfunctional society this has been systematicaly manufactured over the years by the same people who are rioting just now and even by their parents and possibly their parents.

Society does not creat a bunch of people to flout the law and riot, people choose to do these things for their own self purpose, it has nothing to do with the general society they are in, if they took a bit of pride in their society these things would never happen, but they make a descision to become law breakers and harm the rest of the decent people round about them who want to live in that place and have done so for many years.

As kids are growing up now there is no fear of the law or of thjeir parents, the law cannot punish then for fear of it being suied for breaching their human rights, parents cannot disipline for fear of being arrested for child abuse, schools cannot disipline other than detention and lines, the country has gone soft.

Corpral punishment in schools, bring back the belt, easy place to start

Allow parents to actually disipline their on kids (yes of course if it becomaes actual abuse make an example of them) but a good old hiding or a hard clip round the ear when they were younger might have put them on another path.

Bring back borstal for young offenders

Bring back conscription for older ones

and finally

Make sure the punishment is an actual deterrant if they are involved in these riots and looting, min 10 years !!! if they are not british nationals or residents 10 years then boot them out.

Ok my rant is done for today :thumbup:

Love it lol :thumbsup:

lardyl Aug 11th 2011 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552498)
What because I have no intention of commiting crime..I'm alright Jack? Are you mad? Stuff the law breakers. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

No because plenty of people who are probably as law abiding as you have kids, friends, family who could be shot if your ideas are put into practice.

And as I said there is no guarantee that someone very dear to you will not succumb to mental illness, PTSD or drugs or even fall into bad company and end up as a looter. Of course they will then become "law breakers" "scum" and a reasonable target for a sharpshooter.

lardyl Aug 11th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552504)
We have differing views. I would like to see a few rioters and looters shot. Maybe if you were in amongst it with your loved ones you might change your tune?? I make no apologies for it. As I have said previously I believe it is time for society to get really tough on these verminous members of society. You will be delighted to know lots are getting bail and those who are getting sentenced are getting a mere few weeks in jail. Wow that really is an incentive to never do it again. You prefer liberal justice I prefer it tough. BTW a a bit of a stupid comment suggesting I should live in a police state and not NZ. I chose the country not its laws.

Why not comment on the place you choose to reside versus your very strong views on a particular series of serious social changes. Part of the reason I chose NZ was the enlightened views on nuclear power, weapons, integration with indigenous people, etc

Choosing to shoot people on the streets of Britain for looting is the worst sort of summary justice and could even escalate the situation. The Police would then lose any moral "high ground" particularly as there would be many "limp liberals" like me that would lose another notch of respect for the Police/Army or whoever decided to ope fire.

In spite of that how about the potential for collateral damage, press photographer cops a ricochet?

The judiciary are those who are properly qualified to determine what the punishment should be not a sniper's spotter or commander on the ground, never mind those with firearms in the front line. Just check out why Rubber/Plastic Bullets had to be replaced - basically they were not used as directed in the riot situation, which caused deaths for over 10 years. My old employers worked on many rubber/plastic bullet cases dealing with deployment and ballistics.

I am not happy that people are getting out on bail but I'd reckon that it's because there aren't enough cells to keep them on remand. Sorry that a few are getting a few weeks in jail rather than being flogged or killed, as I say if you want to go back to pre-Victorian times, then I'm sure it can be arranged, the Taliban might be a little too harsh for you though.

Stormer999 Aug 11th 2011 1:51 pm

The rioters being let out on bail are too young (juniors) to be held, 10-16 year olds........children:eek::thumbdown:

coffeeaddict Aug 11th 2011 3:37 pm

Thought i'd share this site with you.. very funny imo:rofl:

http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/

a few of my favs..

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...ajlo1_1280.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_500.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_400.png

coffeeaddict Aug 11th 2011 3:40 pm

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_400.png

Giantaxe Aug 11th 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552127)
2ndly the money you would have wasted on encarcerating the trash could be spent wisely on education to ensure the next lot out of school have a better view on life.

Before you make that assertion, I suggest you research the cost of administering the death penalty in the few democratic countries that still employ it. Almost across the board, it turns out the cost is higher than life imprisonment. Of course, we could adopt the Chinese and Iranian approach of almost zero due process to defendants, and simply shoot them after a cursory trial....

And on a related theme, there is little or no evidence that the death penalty deters crime.

Stormer999 Aug 11th 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9552979)
Before you make that assertion, I suggest you research the cost of administering the death penalty in the few democratic countries that still employ it. Almost across the board, it turns out the cost is higher than life imprisonment. Of course, we could adopt the Chinese and Iranian approach of almost zero due process to defendants, and simply shoot them after a cursory trial....

And on a related theme, there is little or no evidence that the death penalty deters crime.

Don't think that last statement is quite worded correctly......before Genesis gets hold of it.......;)

Giantaxe Aug 11th 2011 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9553002)
Don't think that last statement is quite worded correctly......before Genesis gets hold of it.......;)

Lol, I could add "in others" to the sentence for the hard of understanding :)

Stormer999 Aug 11th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9553006)
Lol, I could add "in others" to the sentence for the hard of understanding :)

Seriously advisable.....;)

cheers Aug 11th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9552979)

Who keeps the score? Just hang them and make the parents pull the lever and then the blight is gone.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9552542)
No because plenty of people who are probably as law abiding as you have kids, friends, family who could be shot if your ideas are put into practice.

And as I said there is no guarantee that someone very dear to you will not succumb to mental illness, PTSD or drugs or even fall into bad company and end up as a looter. Of course they will then become "law breakers" "scum" and a reasonable target for a sharpshooter.

Shit happens, does not change my view on these scum.

bourbon-biscuit Aug 11th 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9552568)
Part of the reason I chose NZ was the enlightened views on nuclear power, weapons, integration with indigenous people, etc

ooOOoo lardyl, I never knew :wub: :wub: