British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Riots. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/riots-727900/)

Charismatic Aug 11th 2011 7:35 am

Re: Riots.
 
Well police mostly showed restraint.

HelsnLee Aug 11th 2011 7:53 am

Re: Riots.
 
Poor police enduring this!....every rioting scum gets what they deserve!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456050

Margaret Parkinson Aug 11th 2011 9:50 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9551522)
I think Nero was in Rome.

Some people are very clever with their feet (copyright The Goon Show)


Sorry my mistake , seen to many movies.

The source of this phrase is the story that Nero played the fiddle (violin) while Rome burned, during the great fire in AD 64.

There are two major flaws with the story. Firstly, there was no such instrument as the fiddle (violin) in first century Rome. There's no definitive date for the invention of the violin, or of its synonym as fiddle, but it certainly wasn't until at least the 16th century. If Nero played anything during the Rome fire, it was probably the lyre.

Secondly, the story may be completely false and Nero may very well not have neglected his duty at all. Nero died four years later, and we should remember that history is written by the victors. The historian Suetonius records the Nero was responsible for the fire and that he watched it from a tower while playing an instrument and singing about the destruction of Troy. Others record this story merely as a rumour.

By modern-day standards Nero certainly appears a bizarre character, but that doesn't make this story true. Roman scholars differ over interpretations of events surrounding the fire. The rivalries and conflicting accounts, even those in contemporary reports, make the 'fiddling' story uncertain.

So could it be the papers got it wrong about Mr Cameron and he was here all the time?

June

old dragon Aug 11th 2011 10:05 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by HelsnLee (Post 9552200)
Poor police enduring this!....every rioting scum gets what they deserve!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456050

Absolutely agree!!

lardyl Aug 11th 2011 10:55 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9551804)
So how does Singapore manage it with corporal punishment, the death penalty and draconian punishment? I would vote all 3 in tomorrow for the UK and wherever else needs it. As I said there is order in Singapore and crime is very, very low so I understand. I am sick of the masses being shat on by the minority who then get all the "oh he's poor deprived lad" shite. We need to get tough on crime. What has anyone to fear about getting tough on crime if they are not going to break the law? Make punishment for serious crimes as tough as you like. It will never affect me because I behave. But it will have an effect (and a permanent one in some cases) on some of the world's bigger shits.

Nice "I'm All Right Jack" attitude.

Hope your kids don't go off the rails and they can do that for a whole host of reasons, other than your whipping their asses with a strap (although that does help). I know full well and have seen it and have seen what coming down hard on that individual causes, more pain more bad behaviour and violence. Of course you may know different. Just come up with some evidence other than the Singaporean ideal to support it.

Singapore's crime rate is shall we say under-reported, well according to my workmates who spent several years working there who described plenty of crime that was hushed up to keep the figures looking good.

So why are you not living in a Police state? Or the good ol USA where you can see scumbags killed by the state. NZ would seem to be a daft place to live all gangs, no CP, no death penalty......bizzare.

Consequences need to be logical and in proportion, as I've said before being on the streets for a buzz and following your mates into a store to knock off a pair of Nikes does not proportionate with a bullet in the head or even the birch. As a civilisation we got over that about 150 years ago.

These toe-rags who steal, start fires and wreak havoc should have to spend real time cleaning it up, pay reparations and find out the consequences of their actions. I agree with the idea to stop any benefits and removing them from social housing if what they did was serious enough. But shooting them, get real, it's Britain not Pyongyang.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 11:01 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9552492)
Nice "I'm All Right Jack" attitude.

.

What because I have no intention of commiting crime..I'm alright Jack? Are you mad? Stuff the law breakers. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Genesis Aug 11th 2011 11:05 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9552492)
Nice "I'm All Right Jack" attitude.

Hope your kids don't go off the rails and they can do that for a whole host of reasons, other than your whipping their asses with a strap (although that does help). I know full well and have seen it and have seen what coming down hard on that individual causes, more pain more bad behaviour and violence. Of course you may know different. Just come up with some evidence other than the Singaporean ideal to support it.

Singapore's crime rate is shall we say under-reported, well according to my workmates who spent several years working there who described plenty of crime that was hushed up to keep the figures looking good.

So why are you not living in a Police state? Or the good ol USA where you can see scumbags killed by the state. NZ would seem to be a daft place to live all gangs, no CP, no death penalty......bizzare.

Consequences need to be logical and in proportion, as I've said before being on the streets for a buzz and following your mates into a store to knock off a pair of Nikes does not proportionate with a bullet in the head or even the birch. As a civilisation we got over that about 150 years ago.

These toe-rags who steal, start fires and wreak havoc should have to spend real time cleaning it up, pay reparations and find out the consequences of their actions. I agree with the idea to stop any benefits and removing them from social housing if what they did was serious enough. But shooting them, get real, it's Britain not Pyongyang.

We have differing views. I would like to see a few rioters and looters shot. Maybe if you were in amongst it with your loved ones you might change your tune?? I make no apologies for it. As I have said previously I believe it is time for society to get really tough on these verminous members of society. You will be delighted to know lots are getting bail and those who are getting sentenced are getting a mere few weeks in jail. Wow that really is an incentive to never do it again. You prefer liberal justice I prefer it tough. BTW a a bit of a stupid comment suggesting I should live in a police state and not NZ. I chose the country not its laws.

Snazishaz Aug 11th 2011 11:07 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9546070)
So there you have it kids looting and rioting with no consequences for their actions so they become the "poor wee kids all cought up with the big bad men and who didnt know any better" my arse these kids are clever enough to choose to loot, they know the basic right or wrongs and they choose to break the law knowing only too well that there will be little to no action taken against them :frown: as far as they go i say bring back borstal or put them into the army cadets or the actual army if they are old enough.

We didnt create a dysfunctional society this has been systematicaly manufactured over the years by the same people who are rioting just now and even by their parents and possibly their parents.

Society does not creat a bunch of people to flout the law and riot, people choose to do these things for their own self purpose, it has nothing to do with the general society they are in, if they took a bit of pride in their society these things would never happen, but they make a descision to become law breakers and harm the rest of the decent people round about them who want to live in that place and have done so for many years.

As kids are growing up now there is no fear of the law or of thjeir parents, the law cannot punish then for fear of it being suied for breaching their human rights, parents cannot disipline for fear of being arrested for child abuse, schools cannot disipline other than detention and lines, the country has gone soft.

Corpral punishment in schools, bring back the belt, easy place to start

Allow parents to actually disipline their on kids (yes of course if it becomaes actual abuse make an example of them) but a good old hiding or a hard clip round the ear when they were younger might have put them on another path.

Bring back borstal for young offenders

Bring back conscription for older ones

and finally

Make sure the punishment is an actual deterrant if they are involved in these riots and looting, min 10 years !!! if they are not british nationals or residents 10 years then boot them out.

Ok my rant is done for today :thumbup:

Love it lol :thumbsup:

lardyl Aug 11th 2011 11:37 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552498)
What because I have no intention of commiting crime..I'm alright Jack? Are you mad? Stuff the law breakers. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

No because plenty of people who are probably as law abiding as you have kids, friends, family who could be shot if your ideas are put into practice.

And as I said there is no guarantee that someone very dear to you will not succumb to mental illness, PTSD or drugs or even fall into bad company and end up as a looter. Of course they will then become "law breakers" "scum" and a reasonable target for a sharpshooter.

lardyl Aug 11th 2011 11:57 am

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552504)
We have differing views. I would like to see a few rioters and looters shot. Maybe if you were in amongst it with your loved ones you might change your tune?? I make no apologies for it. As I have said previously I believe it is time for society to get really tough on these verminous members of society. You will be delighted to know lots are getting bail and those who are getting sentenced are getting a mere few weeks in jail. Wow that really is an incentive to never do it again. You prefer liberal justice I prefer it tough. BTW a a bit of a stupid comment suggesting I should live in a police state and not NZ. I chose the country not its laws.

Why not comment on the place you choose to reside versus your very strong views on a particular series of serious social changes. Part of the reason I chose NZ was the enlightened views on nuclear power, weapons, integration with indigenous people, etc

Choosing to shoot people on the streets of Britain for looting is the worst sort of summary justice and could even escalate the situation. The Police would then lose any moral "high ground" particularly as there would be many "limp liberals" like me that would lose another notch of respect for the Police/Army or whoever decided to ope fire.

In spite of that how about the potential for collateral damage, press photographer cops a ricochet?

The judiciary are those who are properly qualified to determine what the punishment should be not a sniper's spotter or commander on the ground, never mind those with firearms in the front line. Just check out why Rubber/Plastic Bullets had to be replaced - basically they were not used as directed in the riot situation, which caused deaths for over 10 years. My old employers worked on many rubber/plastic bullet cases dealing with deployment and ballistics.

I am not happy that people are getting out on bail but I'd reckon that it's because there aren't enough cells to keep them on remand. Sorry that a few are getting a few weeks in jail rather than being flogged or killed, as I say if you want to go back to pre-Victorian times, then I'm sure it can be arranged, the Taliban might be a little too harsh for you though.

Stormer999 Aug 11th 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Riots.
 
The rioters being let out on bail are too young (juniors) to be held, 10-16 year olds........children:eek::thumbdown:

coffeeaddict Aug 11th 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Riots.
 
Thought i'd share this site with you.. very funny imo:rofl:

http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/

a few of my favs..

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...ajlo1_1280.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...ajlo1_1280.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_500.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...ajlo1_1280.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_500.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...ajlo1_1280.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...ajlo1_1280.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_500.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_400.png

coffeeaddict Aug 11th 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Riots.
 
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_500.png

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...qajlo1_400.png

Giantaxe Aug 11th 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9552127)
2ndly the money you would have wasted on encarcerating the trash could be spent wisely on education to ensure the next lot out of school have a better view on life.

Before you make that assertion, I suggest you research the cost of administering the death penalty in the few democratic countries that still employ it. Almost across the board, it turns out the cost is higher than life imprisonment. Of course, we could adopt the Chinese and Iranian approach of almost zero due process to defendants, and simply shoot them after a cursory trial....

And on a related theme, there is little or no evidence that the death penalty deters crime.

Stormer999 Aug 11th 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Riots.
 

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9552979)
Before you make that assertion, I suggest you research the cost of administering the death penalty in the few democratic countries that still employ it. Almost across the board, it turns out the cost is higher than life imprisonment. Of course, we could adopt the Chinese and Iranian approach of almost zero due process to defendants, and simply shoot them after a cursory trial....

And on a related theme, there is little or no evidence that the death penalty deters crime.

Don't think that last statement is quite worded correctly......before Genesis gets hold of it.......;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:02 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.