Riots.

Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riots.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Some brilliant posts on this thread

I wholeheartedly agree with the distinction made between reasons and excuses.
Read in the papers today that many, many london locals feel that there was no other reason for the riots other than that they 'simply could do it'..and get away with it too. All this utter bollocks about poverty et al. Psychobabble about excuses and the like, I appreciate there is a huge gulf betwixt rich and poor but where else does this rioting go on regularly? Because poverty and the rich/poor gulf is everywhere. In the Gaza strip they are wildly impoverished (and hugely shat on) but the only thing they riot about is what the Jewish state heaps upon them. I don't think they go out regularly looting..point is they have a genuine grievance..none of these wankers in London did. It really irks me even when I get a whiff of sympathy or raison d'etre for what these bastards did when I read about an elderly man beaten into the IT unit..his crime? Trying to put out a fire. I say again shoot a few of the scum.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:24 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Just because I don't want the looters shot doesn't mean I feel any less horrified and upset about what's happened or distressed for the victims. I also don't want looters let off ... I just don't want them shot or their hands chopped off!!! Have you considered Saudi Arabia for your next move, Genesis?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't want them shot or their hands chopped off!!! Have you considered Saudi Arabia for your next move, Genesis?
China might be a better bet. I think they're world leaders in executions.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:28 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

When we have enough police back on the city streets to quell the present riots, which appears are the amalgamation of local gangs, the gangs will split up go back to their own patches and precede to make locals lives a continuing misery at a less reported level. The problem does not go away, their parents couldn't care as they were most likely members of the same gang when they were younger, the police stay wide of the situation as they have gone back to lower numbers and are scared of flaring another uprising by getting involved and life goes back to sh*t. Exactly as it was before kicking off and until next excuse.
Cameron is correct when he says some parts of the UK are sick, but what he fails to see is that they have been 'sick' for a very long time and there are a hell of a lot more sicko's than he or his realise.
I think it has gone too far for curing and now requires controlling.....
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:30 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Read in the papers today that many, many london locals feel that there was no other reason for the riots other than that they 'simply could do it'..and get away with it too. All this utter bollocks about poverty et al. Psychobabble about excuses and the like, I appreciate there is a huge gulf betwixt rich and poor but where else does this rioting go on regularly? Because poverty and the rich/poor gulf is everywhere. In the Gaza strip they are wildly impoverished (and hugely shat on) but the only thing they riot about is what the Jewish state heaps upon them. I don't think they go out regularly looting..point is they have a genuine grievance..none of these wankers in London did. It really irks me even when I get a whiff of sympathy or raison d'etre for what these bastards did when I read about an elderly man beaten into the IT unit..his crime? Trying to put out a fire. I say again shoot a few of the scum.
If they "simply could do it" then why isn't it happening all the time? what's so different about this past week to last month, or last year.

"I say again shoot a few of the scum"
But isn't that what ignited the trouble in the first place: the Police shooting of Mark Duggan .

Ever wondered G if firing up the Quattro does more harm than good?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:35 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Cameron is correct when he says some parts of the UK are sick, but what he fails to see is that they have been 'sick' for a very long time and there are a hell of a lot more sicko's than he or his realise.
I think it has gone too far for curing and now requires controlling.....
He came back from his foreign holiday to say that did he? I thought they were 'all in this together' over there. Some are more 'in' than others it would seem.

Of course, he accepts no responsibility for this. No doubt when he gets kicked out at the next election he too will tour Australasia and charge $1000 a head for the privilege of hearing him speak.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rachelb82
Hello

This was a bit before my time but i am now going to google it.

Out of the ashes some good will rise. - i like this and i'm sure your right. It will bring the country together, i like seeing how many people have got together for the clean ups.
As soon as the riots hit manchester someone posted a meetup for the morning clean up.. 100's of people working together to put right the mess the Thugs have left.
It's heartening to see communities coming together under such difficult circumstances. It's rather like the way people mobilized in their thousands to help out with the flood recovery over here.

Perhaps society isn't as sick as Cameron would like us to think it is? there are just parts that need fixing and given a reason to belong again.

We never see things like this in times of prosperity, or do we?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Just because I don't want the looters shot doesn't mean I feel any less horrified and upset about what's happened or distressed for the victims. I also don't want looters let off ... I just don't want them shot or their hands chopped off!!! Have you considered Saudi Arabia for your next move, Genesis?
Indeed, alas its a bit too hot for me. Can I have a beer there?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
China might be a better bet. I think they're world leaders in executions.
Great, I am a firm believer in the death penalty. The one thing you can be sure of they won't reoffend, 2ndly the money you would have wasted on encarcerating the trash could be spent wisely on education to ensure the next lot out of school have a better view on life.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Riots.

I think Cameron would rather paint them as rebels without a cause than acknowledge the deep decay of British society. He is ignoring the causes and concentrating on treating the symptoms.

It's often more difficult and less popular to show real leadership and admit to the underlying causes of social discontent than to try and cleave a bit of cheap political gain from the situation. However government should always be about self assessment and reaching towards much higher ideals.

Also the right to protest must be recognized in a democracy. Weather it's Bob Crow and his union (who will probably actually had a much bigger financial impact than the recent riots), people protesting bank bailouts, anti-abortionists etc. I may think they are nutcases fighting a lost cause but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to legitimate protest.

If the legacy of Thatcher is a violent form of protest I may loath their methods but it doesn't diminish their protest as a fundamental democratic right. The police need to be careful trading this line to make sure they protect property but don't tread on legitimate protest, which is what they have done very well so far .
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
If they "simply could do it" then why isn't it happening all the time? what's so different about this past week to last month, or last year.

But isn't that what ignited the trouble in the first place: the Police shooting of Mark Duggan .

Well look why don't we worry every time we put one in prison, they might come out REALLY angry and hurt lots of people?? If the law was passed you are likely to be shot if you riot two things would happen. 1st forewarned is forearmed..rellies would have not much to complain about, 2nd rioting would not happen..well it might once but unlikely to again with a few dead rats in the street for other rats to see.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ipso facto yes. Unless you can think of another valid reason?

Now you're confusing reason with excuses. There's always a reason why these things happen, excuses are what people use to get out of facing up to the consequences of their actions.

If you don't get at the reason you won't be able to prevent it from happening again. It seems like every generation has its period of oppression and discontent. It's a shame that the lessons have to be re-learned the hard way by every future generation.

After what we've seen in places like Greece the only thing that surprises me is it took this long for it to happen in Britain.
Hmm, one of the 1st bits of life's detritus in court was a primary school class room assistant. Poor love, nothing to live for, no hope, no nothing. I can fully understand why the moron chose to riot and loot. I rest my case about the argument that they did it because they could.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

And by the same token if they have been so down trodden for so long as many seem to suggest why has their not been wholesale rioting BEFORE this juncture?? Again I say they did because they could.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:14 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
And by the same token if they have been so down trodden for so long as many seem to suggest why has their not been wholesale rioting BEFORE this juncture??
Who knows which straw will break the camels back until it happens?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future

Difficult one!...When the uneducated or simply moronic people decide to torch loot..etc what could be a deciding factor could I get shot today...mmm even their simple brains can work out that is not a good option and they may stay at home!
Last night I was in my store and I had kids ramming my windows with trollies and throwing cones, general abuse! I pulled down the shutters and sat tight with staff. This was very scary and un-nerving and yet only a fraction being experienced in some other cities! Luckily we have security on site who sorted it immediately
Genesis although maybe your more extreme than me i do think you have a point! A slap on the wrist is not good enough. Its like dealing with children there have to be consequences for your actions. Everyday i have to deal with theft by shoplifters and we call the police and if its your first offence you get a caution then they do the traffic signal method green amber red where they apply fixed penalty notices so you have to get caught thieving 4 times before you get ur day in court and then its a fine and criminal record. Ive got prolifics who are banned and should be done for tresspassing/burglary but the police dont have powers to do anything!
I've also had people carrying needles knives and all the police do is confiscate them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.