British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Riots. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/riots-727900/)

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 6:03 pm

Riots.

Just passed my local high street on the train, looking out the window at burning cars and hundreds of riot police. My dad was in a local supermarket this afternoon when two police ran inside to shelter from a marauding gang.

24 days left in the UK for me...

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Riots.

Croydon town centre the latest to be set ablaze. Yep, It's going to be a rough night here in the big smoke.

P18PPS Aug 8th 2011 8:10 pm

mindless violence goes on everywhere

Am Loolah Aug 8th 2011 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9545486)
mindless violence goes on everywhere

True, but London is my home and it is incredibly distressing to see, especially with so many family and friends there.:(

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9545503)
True, but London is my home and it is incredibly distressing to see, especially with so many family and friends there.:(

Get the army in. Restore order with an iron fist. If they don't it will spread everywhere. They are pussy footing around. The army could sort it in a few hours I reckon. They have no bloody will those in charge. Take back the streets and whoop the bastards.

P18PPS Aug 8th 2011 10:26 pm

too late it's already across London, Croydon and Birmingham....

stupid gangs of thugs who jump on the band wagon and excuse of a poor family looking for answers surrounding their son's killing. JDsports will be out of business by the end of the week - at least the authorities will know who's been looting!

latest on BBC news was rumors that the army were being deployed onto the streets of london.

BEVS Aug 8th 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9545252)
JMy dad was in a local supermarket this afternoon when two police ran inside to shelter from a marauding gang.
24 days left in the UK for me...

...and what about your Dad?

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 10:44 pm

He was fine - a little shaken (getting on in years these days!). He had to drive home dodging thugs wearing masks and throwing stones

The news coming out is just incredible. Basically every shopping area in London is being trashed, burnt and looted tonight.

I don't think many forumites realise (yet) just how serious this is. I would say the biggest crisis to hit London in decades.

Now off to bed and will hope nobody puts a brick through the window :unsure:

billingham Aug 8th 2011 10:44 pm

It would be naive to think this will be limited to the UK. Social unrest will follow the austerity. Part of the problem is the youth - they have been spoon fed for years and told they can achieve / have anything - reality falls somewhat short of that ideal. This has been brewing for years.

Robbie2010 Aug 8th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9545662)
Get the army in. Restore order with an iron fist. If they don't it will spread everywhere. They are pussy footing around. The army could sort it in a few hours I reckon. They have no bloody will those in charge. Take back the streets and whoop the bastards.

So said President Bashar al-Assad of Syria!

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9545755)
too late it's already across London, Croydon and Birmingham....

stupid gangs of thugs who jump on the band wagon and excuse of a poor family looking for answers surrounding their son's killing. JDsports will be out of business by the end of the week - at least the authorities will know who's been looting!

latest on BBC news was rumors that the army were being deployed onto the streets of london.

Too late? No its not. Get them in now. Personally I would have done it as soon as the contaigon set in. They got no balls those in charge. It would send out a message to the world that we ain't taking no shit and moreover we are in charge not these mindless scum. Personaly if I had it my way anyone who was rioting/looting would be shot on sight. They do it elsewhere why not in the Uk?? I know that if they knocked out a few rioters the idea of rioting would soon seem like a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Too pussy, too weak. We need strength and discipline in the UK. Especially when you see these filthy scum like individuals (from ALL races) doing what they are doing. I can't believe they can do this to their own neighbourhoods. All this talk of being hard up, jobless etc is utter bollocks. The people in India who are waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse off don't behave like this. I do hope some genuine rioters feel the very, very rough end of a police baton.

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9545815)
Too late? No its not. Get them in now. Personally I would have done it as soon as the contaigon set in. They got no balls those in charge. It would send out a message to the world that we ain't taking no shit and moreover we are in charge not these mindless scum. Personaly if I had it my way anyone who was rioting/looting would be shot on sight. They do it elsewhere why not in the Uk?? I know that if they knocked out a few rioters the idea of rioting would soon seem like a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Too pussy, too weak. We need strength and discipline in the UK. Especially when you see these filthy scum like individuals (from ALL races) doing what they are doing. I can't believe they can do this to their own neighbourhoods. All this talk of being hard up, jobless etc is utter bollocks. The people in India who are waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse off don't behave like this. I do hope some genuine rioters die.

And high time they strapped a gun to every police hip, both here and in NZ. Give up the fantasy and focus on how many lives that would actually save.

Robbie2010 Aug 8th 2011 10:53 pm

Too late? No its not. Get them in now. Personally I would have done it as soon as the contaigon set in. They got no balls those in charge. It would send out a message to the world that we ain't taking no shit and moreover we are in charge not these mindless scum. Personaly if I had it my way anyone who was rioting/looting would be shot on sight. They do it elsewhere why not in the Uk?? I know that if they knocked out a few rioters the idea of rioting would soon seem like a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Too pussy, too weak. We need strength and discipline in the UK. Especially when you see these filthy scum like individuals (from ALL races) doing what they are doing. I can't believe they can do this to their own neighbourhoods. All this talk of being hard up, jobless etc is utter bollocks. The people in India who are waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse off don't behave like this. I do hope some genuine rioters die.

Or Muammar Muhammad al-Gaddafi of Libya perhaps?

BEVS Aug 8th 2011 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9545801)
I don't think many forumites realise (yet) just how serious this is. I would say the biggest crisis to hit London in decades.

Actually I disagree. Most of us have family and friends back in the UK . We also have the world news here and so know how 'bad' this social unrest is.

By your Dad , I rather meant was he OK and is he also returning to NZ with you & so away from London.

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 9545805)
So said President Bashar al-Assad of Syria!

If they were doing the same thing they deserve it (mind you this is not people trying to depose an apparent tyrant is it?). So not really the same game anyway eh? Yes I think rioters like these deserve the ultimate punishment. Especially when you see the wanton violence they unleash. I cannot imagine the fear of those who are innocent. And that is what makes me so robust about my thoughts. The poor innocent mwomen, children and men who are in the midst of all this shit. Its utter anarchcy. It must be stopped and if a few rioters die ending it big deal? They are the scum of the earth. Utter bastards.

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9545801)
He was fine - a little shaken (getting on in years these days!). He had to drive home dodging thugs wearing masks and throwing stones

The news coming out is just incredible. Basically every shopping area in London is being trashed, burnt and looted tonight.

Now off to bed and will hope nobody puts a brick through the window :unsure:

I realise how serious this is. Thats why I reckon they need the army in. This is as bad as it gets in UK peace time

billingham Aug 8th 2011 11:00 pm

Personaly if I had it my way anyone who was rioting/looting would be shot on sight.

So looting should attract the death penalty? Blimey.

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 11:01 pm

Maybe hire in some Gendermes too

Not many times in history that a 600 point drop on the Dow is relegated off the front pages...

alanmacc Aug 8th 2011 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9545840)

In times of civil conflict shooting of looters is permitted !!!

Looks like the country is really going to sh*t now, so glad im well out of it

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9545856)

Looks like the country is really going to sh*t now, so glad im well out of it

Yes, and I think ungrateful expats in "boring" NZ should be shot on site too :rofl:

BEVS Aug 8th 2011 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc
In times of civil conflict shooting of looters is permitted

Yes. I rather thought that was the case.

Originally Posted by DC10
Yes, and I think ungrateful expats in "boring" NZ should be shot on site too

Oh really. Ungrateful?

So. Is your Dad returning to NZ with you ?

alanmacc Aug 8th 2011 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9545862)
Yes, and I think ungrateful expats in "boring" NZ should be shot on site too :rofl:

How are we ungrateful ??

What really pisses me off is the looting!!, riots street fights gangs and general unrest is one thing but why the need to loot, please don't give me the whole "awww they are jobless and they need these things to survive" bullshit loting is for one purpose only and that is self greed, IF they actually manage to prosecute any looters what will happen? a wee slap on the wrist and a "please dont do it again, we know you have suffered mental stress through this whloe process"

Law is way to soft on scum like these if they see them looting just shoot them and save the taxpayers a fortune in court fees, these people dont care about their local communities scum cant think that clearly and have no thuoghts but their own, I dont care what ethnicity they are or whether they are immigrants the counrty is gowing down the plug hole and this was seen many years ago by Enoch Powel !!

So the capital of the olympic games for next year this sends really good signals out the the rest of the world

DC10 Aug 8th 2011 11:19 pm

I am certainly not saying that all, or even most, are ungrateful

My parents have always held Britain, as a place to live, in higher regard than I and intended staying on a few years longer. We'll see.

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9545840)

Yeah why not? They are obviously not part of mainstream society and a cancer that would be better cut out and gotten rid of. I would be quite happy to see a few of the genuine rioters expired. Look what they are doing to the innocent, look what they are doing to their country. If I was there I would be wishing for short and sharp and brutal intervention from those in charge. They started it. What would you do to bring a swift end, send in mediators? Yeah right.

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9545888)
How are we ungrateful ??

What really pisses me off is the looting!!, riots street fights gangs and general unrest is one thing but why the need to loot, please don't give me the whole "awww they are jobless and they need these things to survive" bullshit loting is for one purpose only and that is self greed, IF they actually manage to prosecute any looters what will happen? a wee slap on the wrist and a "please dont do it again, we know you have suffered mental stress through this whloe process"

Law is way to soft on scum like these if they see them looting just shoot them and save the taxpayers a fortune in court fees, these people dont care about their local communities scum cant think that clearly and have no thuoghts but their own, I dont care what ethnicity they are or whether they are immigrants the counrty is gowing down the plug hole and this was seen many years ago by Enoch Powel !!

So the capital of the olympic games for next year this sends really good signals out the the rest of the world

Glad I am not the only one who wants the law enforcement guns out. I regard myself as a bit of a lefty liberal but when the wheel comes off like this there is only one option IMO.

billingham Aug 8th 2011 11:40 pm

Many of the looters are actually too young to be arrested. The rest are mainly teenagers. We can't just create a dysfunctional society then shoot people because it is dysfunctional!

As far as I understand it, the police do not have powers to simply shoot them, there is far more to it than that. Thank god.

Tear gas? Rubber Bullets? More Manpower? Come on people, get real, there are any number of alternatives better than your massacre scenario.

Genesis Aug 8th 2011 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9545943)
Many of the looters are actually too young to be arrested. The rest are mainly teenagers. We can't just create a dysfunctional society then shoot people because it is dysfunctional!

As far as I understand it, the police do not have powers to simply shoot them, there is far more to it than that. Thank god.

Tear gas? Rubber Bullets? More Manpower? Come on people, get real, there are any number of alternatives better than your massacre scenario.

You don't need to shoot them all, that is not my idea. Yes water canon, tear gas and rubber bullets. If that does not work you pick out a few of the grown up rioters (who are seen looting, smashing shops, police cars, police etc) and despatch a few of them. I am sure that simple animal instinct will kick in and they will back off. The means justify the outcome or whatever they say. A few rioters shot will possibly save many other lives and will reduce the end bill to us lot, tax payers etc.

Am Loolah Aug 8th 2011 11:52 pm

I think they are perfectly capable of killing themselves or one and other. Only a matter of time before somebody dies if this carries on.:(

BEVS Aug 8th 2011 11:58 pm

I have experienced essence of tear gas having been, unwittingly ,in the wrong place when riots kicked off in France. Blindingly painful it is too.

Am Loolah Aug 9th 2011 12:07 am

"Recreational Rioting" - police station in Birmingham now set on fire. I think it will come down to the army.

DC10 Aug 9th 2011 12:11 am

I wonder how all those oligarchs and sheiks who poured their money into the "safety of London bricks and mortar" over recent years are feeling.

BEVS Aug 9th 2011 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9545994)
"Recreational Rioting" - police station in Birmingham now set on fire. I think it will come down to the army.

Aye. Should have already been done IMVHO.

billingham Aug 9th 2011 12:35 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9546002)
I wonder how all those oligarchs and sheiks who poured their money into the "safety of London bricks and mortar" over recent years are feeling.

Probably safer than anyone who invested in property which lies on a fault line.

cappuccino Aug 9th 2011 12:37 am

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...195%2C0.298691

Map of all the riot hot spots.

It's all so very sad watching these thugs take over and burn and loot their way through London. It's also now reached Liverpool and other areas of the UK.

BEVS Aug 9th 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9546002)

I don't .

My thoughts are with the Joe Soaps and their families who have no part in any of this , yet it impacts on their lives. Like your Dad for instance. Our family & friends back in the UK, London, Brum, Wolvo & other cities. That's where my thoughts lay.

Genesis Aug 9th 2011 12:46 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9546048)
I don't .

My thoughts are with the Joe Soaps and their families who have no part in any of this , yet it impacts on their lives. Like your Dad for instance. Our family & friends back in the UK, London, Brum, Wolvo & other cities. That's where my thoughts lay.

Lets hope the PM has the balls during the Cobra meeting he's chairing today to get out the soldiers. Please, please, please get them out and crush these verminous bastards. I hope some mega big sentences get given down too. I feel so sorry for the young, old and innocent. I feel sorry for plod too. Not often I have much sympathy for that lot.

billingham Aug 9th 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9546055)
Lets hope the PM has the balls during the Cobra meeting he's chairing today to get out the soldiers. Please, please, please get them out and crush these verminous bastards. I hope some mega big sentences get given down too. I feel so sorry for the young, old and innocent. I feel sorry for plod too. Not often I have much sympathy for that lot.

:thumbup:

alanmacc Aug 9th 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9545943)
Many of the looters are actually too young to be arrested. The rest are mainly teenagers.

So there you have it kids looting and rioting with no consequences for their actions so they become the "poor wee kids all cought up with the big bad men and who didnt know any better" my arse these kids are clever enough to choose to loot, they know the basic right or wrongs and they choose to break the law knowing only too well that there will be little to no action taken against them :frown: as far as they go i say bring back borstal or put them into the army cadets or the actual army if they are old enough.

We didnt create a dysfunctional society this has been systematicaly manufactured over the years by the same people who are rioting just now and even by their parents and possibly their parents.

Society does not creat a bunch of people to flout the law and riot, people choose to do these things for their own self purpose, it has nothing to do with the general society they are in, if they took a bit of pride in their society these things would never happen, but they make a descision to become law breakers and harm the rest of the decent people round about them who want to live in that place and have done so for many years.

As kids are growing up now there is no fear of the law or of thjeir parents, the law cannot punish then for fear of it being suied for breaching their human rights, parents cannot disipline for fear of being arrested for child abuse, schools cannot disipline other than detention and lines, the country has gone soft.

Corpral punishment in schools, bring back the belt, easy place to start

Allow parents to actually disipline their on kids (yes of course if it becomaes actual abuse make an example of them) but a good old hiding or a hard clip round the ear when they were younger might have put them on another path.

Bring back borstal for young offenders

Bring back conscription for older ones

and finally

Make sure the punishment is an actual deterrant if they are involved in these riots and looting, min 10 years !!! if they are not british nationals or residents 10 years then boot them out.

Ok my rant is done for today :thumbup:

Genesis Aug 9th 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9546070)
So there you have it kids looting and rioting with no consequences for their actions so they become the "poor wee kids all cought up with the big bad men and who didnt know any better" my arse these kids are clever enough to choose to loot, they know the basic right or wrongs and they choose to break the law knowing only too well that there will be little to no action taken against them :frown: as far as they go i say bring back borstal or put them into the army cadets or the actual army if they are old enough.

We didnt create a dysfunctional society this has been systematicaly manufactured over the years by the same people who are rioting just now and even by their parents and possibly their parents.

Society does not creat a bunch of people to flout the law and riot, people choose to do these things for their own self purpose, it has nothing to do with the general society they are in, if they took a bit of pride in their society these things would never happen, but they make a descision to become law breakers and harm the rest of the decent people round about them who want to live in that place and have done so for many years.

As kids are growing up now there is no fear of the law or of thjeir parents, the law cannot punish then for fear of it being suied for breaching their human rights, parents cannot disipline for fear of being arrested for child abuse, schools cannot disipline other than detention and lines, the country has gone soft.

Corpral punishment in schools, bring back the belt, easy place to start

Allow parents to actually disipline their on kids (yes of course if it becomaes actual abuse make an example of them) but a good old hiding or a hard clip round the ear when they were younger might have put them on another path.

Bring back borstal for young offenders

Bring back conscription for older ones

and finally

Make sure the punishment is an actual deterrant if they are involved in these riots and looting, min 10 years !!! if they are not british nationals or residents 10 years then boot them out.

Ok my rant is done for today :thumbup:

Ranting? You are talking sense. I hate all this PC bollocks we see today. I would vote the cane back in tomorrow. My son needs a good caning. I am sick of him throwing the law in my face (he's a very, very clever 10 year old). When he grows up he is not going to understand if he disses someone other than his dad they won't take away his DS they will take his front teeth out! I had loads of coporal punishment as a child, it did me no harm and I have a very, very healthy respect of law and order. We need lots of discipline and equal amounts of love and care for our kids. No wonder the world has gone to soft, smelly, squidgy shite.

billingham Aug 9th 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9546070)

I don't quite understand your logic - you say we did not create this society, then illustrate how we did?

This has been brewing for years, as you say, by ever greater compliance with the liberal brigade who champion the rights of the poor children. We need to get very tough, very soon with this generation - and don't just imagine this problem is unique to the UK.

You will just have to believe me - my stance on discipline with young people is way, way outside the normal, namby pamby, totally ineffectual way in which schools are run. All I have said is 'don't kill them' !!!

In schools for the past 20 years, the number of 'unteachable' kids has grown at an alarming rate. They have zero respect for anyone, and no future beyond a life of crime. Brace yourselves people, there is no easy answer to this one.