Riots.

Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riots.

Originally Posted by Kija
I'm very shocked and saddened by what's going on.
its what you get when the Tories are in charge for a couple of years and they choose to squeeze those at the bottom of the pile harder

can't see the super-rich going without in this particular recession, but what's new about that?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is bad news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-14471405

3 men run over and killed in Winson Green (Birmingham) whilst trying to protect shops from looters.

A sad day RIP.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
its what you get when the Tories are in charge for a couple of years and they choose to squeeze those at the bottom of the pile harder

can't see the super-rich going without in this particular recession, but what's new about that?
80's revisited - and I am not talking shoulder pads.

For me, the best film that summed up those feelings was 'Brassed Off'. Saw it on it's opening night - never known an audience to stand up and applaud at the end of a film.

RIP Pete Postlethwaite - apparently you were also the favourite actor of Steven Spielberg, whoever he is.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:41 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by billingham
80's revisited - and I am not talking shoulder pads.

For me, the best film that summed up those feelings was 'Brassed Off'. Saw it on it's opening night - never known an audience to stand up and applaud at the end of a film.

RIP Pete Postlethwaite - apparently you were also the favourite actor of Steven Spielberg, whoever he is.
yep RIP Pete, they did mention Mr Spielberg appreciating his skills on the news over here

just listening to the Edgbaston test, something to cheer about for us England fans
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

This may ramble on a bit.

Talking about 'Brassed Off' took me back, not the 80's, but the 60's. 'Brassed off' was partly filmed around the places of Diggle and Delph, on the edge of the Saddleworth Moors. Our family lived in Saddleworth in the mid 60's, when I was aged between 5 and 10, yet was only 20 years later, that I had the dawning realisation of the danger. We were totally protected from the events, everything was normal, I just remember it being one of the happiest periods of my life.

The point is, we were shielded then, some might think too much, but just look at the youth today and the violence to which it is exposed. Oz slapped an X-rating on computer games this week, not before time. I remember watching the mood of my stepson change after he had played 'Assassin Creed'. Quite scary. It isn't just computer games - TV / DVD / Newspapers all persistenly carry themes of violence and sex. A 12 year old boy was arrested here last week, for indecently attacking a 6 year old girl.

Schools were also so much different then. Mrs Ellis was her name, my favourite teacher. One day, whilst we were making a nativity scene, we needed to draw a huge circle. We were dumbfounded - the compasses were not big enough. She took me in a room, gave me a drawing pin and a piece of string, said 'work it out', then shut the door behind her and left me on my own! Fabulous - you would never get away with doing that now, but it worked.

Anyway - this is not an excuse making thread - those expletives need to be taught a lesson, and hopefully that will also include being locked in a small room. The UK is going to have to move on from this, and if changes are made, to education, to training and most importantly, to discipline and respect, then perhaps we can salvage something out of this mess. We have got to try and make sure that the future is full of the people we would like have in our society.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:04 pm
you dewty owld maan!

While the looters had cleared out the stock of Currys, Claire's Accessories and Phones4U, nearby Waterstone's had been left "without a scratch", she says.
says a lot eh?

Suppose if the rioters/looters were readers then they could check in Waterstones to find that:

True anarchist equality implies freedom, not quantity. It does not mean that every one must eat, drink, or wear the same things, do the same work, or live in the same manner. Far from it: the very reverse in fact
So there would be no need to all have an iPad from Curry's an iPhone from Phones4U and some nice hair slides from Claire's..........
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:59 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Now that is bad news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-14471405

3 men run over and killed in Winson Green (Birmingham) whilst trying to protect shops from looters.

A sad day RIP.
That's proper upsetting.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nightmare. What has been happening is shocking and horrific. Cannot understand why Mr Cameron being so namby pamby. Ok, so it was a big surprise the first night but when it kicked off again the second night why oh why didn't we get a lot more reactive? He's been on the telly today saying that the police can have access to water canons at 24hrs notice The police need back up NOW. They are doing a good job but Mr Cameron doesn't seem to have the leadership skills required in this instance. I really hope these "troublemakers" get what they deserve and I for one don't think that's too much understanding.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:02 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
He's been on the telly today saying that the police can have access to water canons at 24hrs notice The police need back up NOW.
I think the issue with water cannons is that they are useful for dispersing a crowd or moving a crowd back to gain space but the looter scenario is a bit different as it's fast moving, widely dispersed groups. Blimey, am I ever glad I'm not a cop at the moment!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
That's proper upsetting.
Bring back hanging. The bastard who did this deserves to die IMO (murdering the 3 chaps outside a place of worship with a stolen car). What a coward. I fear the authorities have some blood on their hands as had someone with a more robust attitude had been in charge there is a good chance with the correct tools all this crap could have been quelled in the 1st 2 days. Did you hear the sentences for 2 rioters? I heard '10 and 16' 1st and thought 'yes'...10 and 16 years which I feel is appropriate and tough enough to disuade other morons...it was 10/16 weeks. WTF!!!!!!!!!!????? So the idiot who said 'I will loot until I am caught cos nuffing will 'appen to me' was right more or less. What pathetic sentences. I seem to remember the sentences for riot are or were very, very severe when I was a plod.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I am pleased to report that the feeling on the streets here is that the worst has passed. I think surprise was a key element in the mobs' "success", and that element is now long gone.

The media can again start to focus on economic ruin instead.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
I am pleased to report that the feeling on the streets here is that the worst has passed. I think surprise was a key element in the mobs' "success", and that element is now long gone.

The media can again start to focus on economic ruin instead.
Good news eh? I did think it would lose steam. It is a real shame the gutless people at the top did not have the will to crush it quickly. I did not like Thatcher as a politician but she would have gone in fast and sharp, thus removing the head of the ugly behemoth that is anarchy. God save tranquility and order.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:49 pm
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice

I particularly liked the 'tweet' from Greater Manchester Police earlier. It read: "Captured lots of criminals on CCTV. We will identify you and we will be coming for you."
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
It's a nightmare. What has been happening is shocking and horrific. Cannot understand why Mr Cameron being so namby pamby. Ok, so it was a big surprise the first night but when it kicked off again the second night why oh why didn't we get a lot more reactive? He's been on the telly today saying that the police can have access to water canons at 24hrs notice The police need back up NOW. They are doing a good job but Mr Cameron doesn't seem to have the leadership skills required in this instance. I really hope these "troublemakers" get what they deserve and I for one don't think that's too much understanding.
Where was Nero when Rome burned? We know where Mr Cameron was he was flirting with some waitress on his holidays while England burned.

My solution... Water canons, rubber bullets, tear gas, the sack for all offenders in jobs, loss of university places for student offenders, loss of all benefits for offenders or offenders parents.

Better still do it once chop off one hand, do it twice lose the second then they would not be able to do it a third time.

June
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Where was Nero when Rome burned? We know where Mr Cameron was he was flirting with some waitress on his holidays while England burned.

My solution... Water canons, rubber bullets, tear gas, the sack for all offenders in jobs, loss of university places for student offenders, loss of all benefits for offenders or offenders parents.

Better still do it once chop off one hand, do it twice lose the second then they would not be able to do it a third time.

June
I think Nero was in Rome.

Some people are very clever with their feet (copyright The Goon Show)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.