Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Riding a motorcycle on full UK licence.

Riding a motorcycle on full UK licence.

Old Aug 10th 2015, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

ryan55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riding a motorcycle on full UK licence.

I have a full UK car driving licence.

*havnt done any motorcycle tests*

Will I be able to ride any motorcycle with this liscence in New Zealand,
If so what engine cc would I be able to ride up to with this.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Ryan.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riding a motorcycle on full UK licence.

If you have a full UK car license but have never done any motorcycle test then you should have a code on your license that is provisional motorcycle entitlement ?
If not then you need to get it added.

The bike you can ride etc all depends on your age. Have a look on https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/overview

Whatever the rules are for that provisional entitlement in the UK will be the same here as you will be using your UK license for the first 12 months.

You cannot ride a motorcycle unless you have at least the provisional entitlement AND you have completed the CBT and then you can only ride the class stated depending on your age.
You will NOT be able to ride any motorcycle here, just like in the UK. It'll have to be a LAMS approved bike.
Not sure but I think it takes a lot longer to get through the process here as there is no Direct Access like there was in the UK.
I did Direct Access in 2005 in the UK - had to pass the theory test first before attendance on the course, then day 1 morning was CBT, day 1 afternoon out on the road on a CB125, day 2 on a CB125, days 3 and 4 on a CB500, then the final day morning making sure you'd got a handle on everything needed for the test then the test on the CB500 in the afternoon. Cost was about 500 quid for the week.
I failed the first time then had to wait 10 days until I could take the test again and I passed no problem second time around.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Yep hopefully you've got the AM motorbike symbol on your UK licence. I have, & never been on a bike before and got the learner bike licence here (no on road testing needed here - just has to be LAMS approved/rated whatever). Just ask to have it converted over, they'll confirm with transport agency on the phone and it arrives a week later
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

ETNZ, I dont think the uk provisional license gives you any entitlement to ride anything here in NZ.
Unless you apply for a NZ learner bike licence you cant ride anything and if the OP doesnt live here
I dont think they apply for one either

of course i may be wrong