Old Mar 3rd 2019, 11:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ridiculous NZ Motorhome / Campervan hire costs

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you do come use this, it's brilliant. Also on facebook
https://www.southproud.co.nz/
That is a bit good.

I've priced up flights , car hire and accom best I can + food , petrol etc.

It seems we could fly to Raro or Oz cheaper than we can to have a week down South.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That is a bit good.

I've priced up flights , car hire and accom best I can + food , petrol etc.

It seems we could fly to Raro or Oz cheaper than we can to have a week down South.
It's no dearer than us flying North for a holiday.
I find travel and holidays in NZ to be cheap as chips.
I couldn't do a foreign holiday for the cost of a week in nz but I guess it depends on how you want to do it

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 4th 2019 at 8:33 am.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:34 am
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
It's no dearer than us flying North for a holiday, it's cheap as chips to do.
I couldn't a foreign holiday for the cost of a week in nz
Not sure what you mean there. It isn't cheap as chips. Not for us anyway.

We can have the same nights away for the same cost in Raro- flights , accom , food- as we could for flying South with those accom , car hire costs involved.

We're not on a direct route to anywhere & we have only a week max. Even that must be unpaid leave.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 7:52 pm
`

Aha!

Seats have come up on the 'orrible Grabaseat We may well grab them as it halves the cost of flights.

Gawd, I loathe the Grabaseat .
Old Mar 5th 2019, 8:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs, is just bombing it down in one day, spending 5 days exploring then bombing back not an option? Then you would have your own car, which is a massive cost saving. My sense of distance has changed a bit: last year we went to SE Queensland twice and both times we did 14hr car journeys in one day, although we had the good sense to send the less tolerant offspring on a flight ...
Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:48 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with grabaseat??

Aha!

Seats have come up on the 'orrible Grabaseat We may well grab them as it halves the cost of flights.

Gawd, I loathe the Grabaseat .
Old Mar 5th 2019, 8:07 pm
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Bevs, is just bombing it down in one day, spending 5 days exploring then bombing back not an option? Then you would have your own car, which is a massive cost saving. My sense of distance has changed a bit: last year we went to SE Queensland twice and both times we did 14hr car journeys in one day, although we had the good sense to send the less tolerant offspring on a flight ...
Around 14 hours on the NZ roads + stops. It would wipe me out TBH. We did discuss that.

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
What's wrong with grabaseat??
It is the way the monopoly AirNZ operates its internal flight costs. It's the strategy.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 8:53 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Around 14 hours on the NZ roads + stops. It would wipe me out TBH. We did discuss that.
Ah, that's true. Our journey to SE Queensland is mainly straight with cruise control on so we just listen to audio books etc., but it's still a killer!
Old Mar 6th 2019, 1:47 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, I don't think that's worthy of a complaint. That's the downside of living in a smaller town/city within NZ, there's a monopoly largely due to demand. If there was enough demand I'm sure Jetstar would operate the same flight but it's probably not worth doing....
Old Mar 6th 2019, 2:33 am
`

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Meh, I don't think that's worthy of a complaint.

Not moanin' as such . It's one of my 'things' . Cannot stand the seat price rigging thing.

We do have Jetstar.

Unless it is Welly, Aucks, Xch it is always two legs to get anywhere so I would prefer some set prices to help those of us out in the sticks be able to plan and budget.

Standby and last minute deals is another matter. Thing is we usually need to plan. Work, animals and wotnot. So we pay a price for that and then next couple of days a bluddy grabaseat comes up and then goes. It's not even last minute cannot get bums on seats really. It is marketing.

Meh backatcha !
Old Mar 6th 2019, 2:38 am
`

Aha!

I did. I did.

I grabbed the grabaseats that suddenly appeared a couple of evenings back. It came in at a good half the original cost. Woz Air NZ a-watching me.

We'll fly into Invercargill and will hire a car.

We aim to see Te Anau and Queenstown again after 20 odd years and in the other direction we want to visit the Lost Gypsy Gallery.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:06 am
---

I did. I did.

I grabbed the grabaseats that suddenly appeared a couple of evenings back. It came in at a good half the original cost. Woz Air NZ a-watching me.

We'll fly into Invercargill and will hire a car.

We aim to see Te Anau and Queenstown again after 20 odd years and in the other direction we want to visit the Lost Gypsy Gallery.
Marvellous! I hope you have a glorious holiday X I think it's been almost 20 years since we went to Queenstown and Wanaka too! We did a lovely walk near Wanaka with our then 4 year old and made the decision to go back to the UK with the intention of all returning to live in NZ. We buried a couple of stones up there with a promise to make it back to them. We also looked at a couple of houses for sale in Wanaka for the UK equivalent cost of a pasty at the time and decided we could always buy one of the cute little lake houses when we came back ...... doh!
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:37 am
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
We also looked at a couple of houses for sale in Wanaka for the UK equivalent cost of a pasty at the time and decided we could always buy one of the cute little lake houses when we came back ...... doh!
We did that too. Wanaka was so quiet back then.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:26 am
---

We did that too. Wanaka was so quiet back then.
We could have been neighbours .... or millionaires!
Old Mar 17th 2019, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody long time no post !
me and jan just looked at buying one, unbelievabley expensive