Reload this Page >

Ridiculous NZ Motorhome / Campervan hire costs

Ridiculous NZ Motorhome / Campervan hire costs

Old Feb 27th 2019, 12:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Ridiculous NZ Motorhome / Campervan hire costs

Meh! Moan!

All we fancied doing was to hire a motorhome for a week so we could tootle around the bottom of the South Island.
We thought we would fly down adn then simply pick up a reasonably self contained camper.

Can we do that? Yes if we had mega $$$$$
Can we do that for an affordable cost? No.

At these prices it is easier to go offshore.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ridiculous NZ Motorhome / Campervan hire costs

Originally Posted by BEVS
Meh! Moan!

All we fancied doing was to hire a motorhome for a week so we could tootle around the bottom of the South Island.
We thought we would fly down adn then simply pick up a reasonably self contained camper.

Can we do that? Yes if we had mega $$$$$
Can we do that for an affordable cost? No.

At these prices it is easier to go offshore.
I have to agree, prices are totally ridiculous.

We tiki tour round Otago and the west coast quite a bit and never have any trouble finding fairly affordable motels.
We never book in advance as we dont know where we'll be each night. We just book late afternoon once we've seen what need each day
I know its not quite the freedom of a camper but it does beat the indignity of a chemical toilet

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 27th 2019 at 9:22 am.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 8:14 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol

We tiki tour round Otago and the west coast quite a bit and never have any trouble finding fairly affordable motels.
We never book in advance as we dont know where we'll be each night. We just book late afternoon once we've seen what need each day
I know its not quite the freedom of a camper but it does beat the indignity of a chemical toilet
I agree with this wholeheartedly. And the motels will be full of campervans because it's actually a bit horrible unless conditions are perfect. The only bonus is being able to free camp in remote spots, but you can always just take a thermos and chairs and enjoy the nice spot then head to a motel for a proper kip and shower!
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:33 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I agree with this wholeheartedly. And the motels will be full of campervans because it's actually a bit horrible unless conditions are perfect.
Ok. I hear ya both.

It was just that we fancied trying this out. We have never ever done this and used to quite enjoy camping back when our knees were not rusty & locating the loo block in the dark was sorta OK.

I'll have another think then.

We haven't been south south for 20 odd years.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Shocking how much is being charged to rent a camper van in NZ.
We did a 10 night trip around Northland May 2014 and no idea how I managed it but I secured a brand new 6 berth Mercedes through Apollo Motorhome Rentals near Auckland airport for, get this......$250 for the whole trip!!! We then added the total cover insurance to reduce the excess down to the minimum, bought some toilet chemicals, hired a car seat and some camping chairs etc through them and the total came to $500.....for 10 nights. Have never found anything remotely near that price ever again, but I keep looking in hope.
There are a couple of websites in NZ where people with their own camper vans rent them out privately but for a big one it's still like $250 per night, but it could be a cheaper option ? You do it all through the website who act as the agent and you can do insurance through them etc. It's like AirBnB but for camper vans / caravans. Pick up of the camper is usually the home address of the owner meaning you don't always have to pick up near a big cit airport as there could be someone local offering their van for rent.
www.mighway.com
www.shareacamper.co.nz
RV Exchange | Motorhome Swap | Campervan Rent | Worldwide
Private campervan hire, Auckland, Free B&B on arrival from overseas, New Zealand, rent a motorhome, freedom camping, camper van, motorhome rental - Private campervan hire, Auckland, Free B&B on arrival from overseas
Old Feb 28th 2019, 1:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yes.
Shocking how much is being charged to rent a camper van in NZ.
We did a 10 night trip around Northland May 2014 and no idea how I managed it but I secured a brand new 6 berth Mercedes through Apollo Motorhome Rentals near Auckland airport for, get this......$250 for the whole trip!!! We then added the total cover insurance to reduce the excess down to the minimum, bought some toilet chemicals, hired a car seat and some camping chairs etc through them and the total came to $500.....for 10 nights. Have never found anything remotely near that price ever again, but I keep looking in hope.
There are a couple of websites in NZ where people with their own camper vans rent them out privately but for a big one it's still like $250 per night, but it could be a cheaper option ? You do it all through the website who act as the agent and you can do insurance through them etc. It's like AirBnB but for camper vans / caravans. Pick up of the camper is usually the home address of the owner meaning you don't always have to pick up near a big cit airport as there could be someone local offering their van for rent.
www.mighway.com
www.shareacamper.co.nz
RV Exchange | Motorhome Swap | Campervan Rent | Worldwide
Private campervan hire, Auckland, Free B&B on arrival from overseas, New Zealand, rent a motorhome, freedom camping, camper van, motorhome rental - Private campervan hire, Auckland, Free B&B on arrival from overseas
Friends in Oz snagged a similar bargain, can't remember the details but it was through one of the big hiring companies who offer 'relocation' deals - when one of their motorhomes is left at a depot and they want it driven to another depot. The same deals might be available in NZ?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Friends in Oz snagged a similar bargain, can't remember the details but it was through one of the big hiring companies who offer 'relocation' deals - when one of their motorhomes is left at a depot and they want it driven to another depot. The same deals might be available in NZ?
Yes, same deals can be had here at www.transfercar.co.nz on cars, vans, people carriers, campers, trucks and now they even do motorbikes.
I've had a look a few times but the deals are never right for me living in Tauranga. They're majority Christchurch or Wellington based vehicles going back to Auckland. I'll keep looking though as one might work out one day and the deals are so cheap it'd be worth it.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:36 pm
`

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yes, same deals can be had here at www.transfercar.co.nz on cars, vans, people carriers, campers, trucks and now they even do motorbikes.
I've had a look a few times but the deals are never right for me living in Tauranga. They're majority Christchurch or Wellington based vehicles going back to Auckland. I'll keep looking though as one might work out one day and the deals are so cheap it'd be worth it.
We would be looking at either flying into Dunedin or Queenstown from Nelson. Maybe fly in one way and out the other.

Driving down would basically take up too many days of the week one way and another unless we caned it which we don't want to do.

We also have to log in the time from work. So it cannot be last minute. I'm OK with the bits and bobs I do but not himself. What with the time he's had for the volunteer Civil Defence , suddenly plonking out for a week might not go down too well. As it is it will be unpaid leave.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Wife and I picked up a Transfercar deal, moved a camper from Christchurch to Auckland over a 5 day period. But beware of the total costs: insurance, chemicals, bedding, and a "ifs its too dirty, a cleaning fee". Still, a nice way to travel and had a great time. Used an app called Campermate to location free camping places or camp grounds. With all the publicity around freedom campers, was a bit worried about local bylaws restricting freedom campers, so this app was most convenient.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:31 pm
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

we've got a house sitter coming to look after our place for a month and they are over here doing house sitting stints for various people such as us. Their original plan was to hire a motorhome for when they had no house sitting. That cost of hiring a motorhome for 3 periods of no more than 2 weeks at a time cost more than their entire flights over and then some.
I suggested airbnb - which I know isn't the same - but for a third of the money they have stayed in some of the nicest homes, slept in proper beds, used proper toilets and in the main had breakfast thrown in as well!
Campervan rentals are just milking it at the moment, which means those on a tighter budget are being forced to use the lower end of the market, and we all know what that means (on the news just about every weekend now it seems).
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried local fb pages to see if anyone has one sitting in their driveway that they would loan out?
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have, but nothing suitable around.
I've seen a few cheap converted vans and people carriers turned in to campers that'll take 2 people but that's it.

I expect it's way too much of a risk for a big campervan owner to just lend out their $150k + machine to Joe public to go have some fun in.

If I was the owner of one sat on my drive I'd only rent it through an agent or like an Airbnb thing.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you do come use this, it's brilliant. Also on facebook
https://www.southproud.co.nz/
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 7:25 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I often look at people driving hired campers around NZ and wonder how the flip they afford it. But alas that is supply and demand for you.

Your husband BEVS is a bit of a handyman no? I reckon it would be cheaper to buy a van, do it up/fit it out properly and off you go!

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 8:15 am
`

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch

Your husband BEVS is a bit of a handyman no?
No. Um. No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.