Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reverse Racism from Maori

Reverse Racism from Maori

Old May 18th 2014, 10:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reverse Racism from Maori

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
But I do! and its you that doesn't have a clue!
Lol, you get extra points for writing in rhyme
Old May 18th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

As I suspected the more enlightened members of society have hijacked the thread, are closing down discussion and having the final word. Its fine to ridicule/abuse a pom on the basis of their race, as we are the villains of history.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
As I suspected the more enlightened members of society have hijacked the thread, are closing down discussion and having the final word. Its fine to ridicule/abuse a pom on the basis of their race, as we are the villains of history.
I guess I'm not enlightened either, and I'm not even a Pom. Even as a card carrying member of a "marginalised" people, I would have thought the guy who affronted the OP was just a disrespectful, racist, bullying pr*ck. I guess I need to learn some history lessons, and start blaming society for all my woes. Oh, wait, I forgot! - I have a university degree in History. Oh well, next time I'll try to remember how marginalised I am. I can always pop into this thread and be reminded by more liberal minded posters that I deserve their pity for the way I look.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:30 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I guess I'm not enlightened either, and I'm not even a Pom. Even as a card carrying member of a "marginalised" people, I would have thought the guy who affronted the OP was just a disrespectful, racist, bullying pr*ck. I guess I need to learn some history lessons, and start blaming society for all my woes. Oh, wait, I forgot! - I have a university degree in History. Oh well, next time I'll try to remember how marginalised I am. I can always pop into this thread and be reminded by more liberal minded posters that I deserve their pity for the way I look.
FWIW, I don't think you read the thread very carefully. I talked about marginalised groups when discussing the reasons for poor health outcomes. I was crystal clear that neither the OP, nor anyone else should have to tolerate abuse in the workplace. I just think it makes the issue about something else when you cry racism - it's not about cultural tensions, ethnicity or anything like that; it's unacceptable behaviour that should not be tolerated. It makes me very angry that public service workers are assumed to have to accept a level of abuse that would be unacceptable elsewhere.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
FWIW, I don't think you read the thread very carefully. I talked about marginalised groups when discussing the reasons for poor health outcomes. I was crystal clear that neither the OP, nor anyone else should have to tolerate abuse in the workplace. I just think it makes the issue about something else when you cry racism - it's not about cultural tensions, ethnicity or anything like that; it's unacceptable behaviour that should not be tolerated. It makes me very angry that public service workers are assumed to have to accept a level of abuse that would be unacceptable elsewhere.
Yeah, I was mostly referring to Purrball from London, whose exhortations regarding "respecting the treaty" verged on the farcical, considering the situation the OP presented. It seems arrogantly presumptive to lecture all you good people on these subjects.

I also find the idea that we should assume someone is a victim of injustice just because of the colour of their skin, or their accent, or whatever, is repugnant. We have no idea what happens in people's lives, and it seems the assumption had been made that the rude jerk was a victim of Pakeha injustices.

Last edited by BEVS; May 19th 2014 at 2:09 am. Reason: Slight adjustment to one word. Thanks
Old May 19th 2014, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Crap! Of course its racism!

"You Poms know nothing, get lost you dont belong here"

& "I want a Maori and not some Pom to speak to, not some foreigner"

Replace the word Poms with Paki and Maori with English then tell me that's not racist!
In this country everyone has the right to speak to someone of their own race when dealing with govt. depts.

It happens every day, even to me and my Father was Maori.

In this case the message was rough but then none of us know how the other party felt. Two people trying to communicate on the phone with staunch views can easily lead to angst and frustration for both parties.

I do agree with Bo about karakia etc. Because this country is bi cultural they are token gestures only to appear inclusive to Maori. The fact is they have Christian content that came from the missionaries. Calling a Christian prayer a karakia is really patronising IMHO. Anyone who is Reo fluent will tell you seldom do they encompass Maori concepts and values.

While I respect the OP's right to his/her opinion having spent all my working life in govt depts I am gobsmacked at the lack of understanding of the obligations to the TOW that govt depts have. As an employee we don't have to agree with them but we do have to know what they are and adhere to them.

Having said all that IMHO this is a great topic especially if it can be open, honest and respectful.

Last edited by Bellasmum; May 19th 2014 at 3:46 am.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
.................................In this country everyone has the right to speak to someone of their own race when dealing with govt. depts.
Really? Does that apply to Nigerian, Pakistani, Chinese, Mexican, etc, etc? If so these depts must have an enormous level of staff.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Does that apply to Nigerian, Pakistani, Chinese, Mexican, etc, etc? If so these depts must have an enormous level of staff.
there is always one.

If you look at field staff at most govt depts you will see a varied range of cultures in the staff for that reason, but common sense suggests it is not possible to have 184 culturally appropriate staff members as would be required in South Auckland.

If a staff member of your culture is not available there is an excellent language line that can provide face to face or telephone conference support for all cultures.

HTH

Last edited by Bellasmum; May 19th 2014 at 3:58 am.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

In this country everyone has the right to speak to someone of their own race when dealing with govt. depts.
Shame NZ is so determined to keep so-called races separate in this day and age. Race-based protocols and governent shouldn't mix, in my view.
Old May 19th 2014, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

My bullshit detector has just exploded.
Old May 19th 2014, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
My bullshit detector has just exploded.
I wasn't going to be quite as succinct but must say I've never heard it was a right either
Old May 19th 2014, 9:01 am
---

Note: 'race' is not a scientific fact - long been proven that there is only one race (human). The term racism is still used because it reflects the historical purpose of determining 'races' (to create hierarchies).

I know this will result in some people's heads exploding
Old May 19th 2014, 9:02 am
---

Ps I am quite enchanted by the idea of writing in rhyme - imagine how friendly and respectful this thread would be if it was all Dr Seuss style!
Old May 19th 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shame NZ is so determined to keep so-called races separate in this day and age. Race-based protocols and governent shouldn't mix, in my view.
You are responding to my statement that when dealing with govt depts in NZ everyone is entitled to assistance from their own culture. It is about communication to ensure informed choices not about race.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Even as a card carrying member of a "marginalised" people,
Oh, wait, I forgot! - I have a university degree in History. Oh well, next time I'll try to remember how marginalised I am.
I didn't realise Historians were treated so badly
Maybe a few thousand hectares and a large financial payout would help you feel better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.