Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Returning to the Uk for university

Returning to the Uk for university

Old Jan 20th 2007, 1:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the Uk for university

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Sadly yes. It's because the home vs international decision is based on residency.
Residency and citizenship/immigration status. Both sets of requirements must be met.

Most US states and Canadian provinces have similar rules.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:33 am
Just Joined

HerbieDog will become famous soon enough

I've made a petition on the government's website, so you can sign up if you want. Don't know if anyone actually looks at them once their finished, but its' worth a try.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/university/
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:45 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HerbieDog;4323460]I've made a petition on the government's website, so you can sign up if you want. Don't know if anyone actually looks at them once their finished, but its' worth a try.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/university/[/QUOTE

Well done, good idea. I signed to support your quest.

Good Luck - Carmen
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Michelle Rockey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HerbieDog
I've made a petition on the government's website, so you can sign up if you want. Don't know if anyone actually looks at them once their finished, but its' worth a try.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/university/
Hi,

I've signed too because we will be in exactly the same situation in a couple of years.
Dragging our reluctant 16 year old over to NZ at the end of this year but he is determined to come back to the UK for uni.

Can you give me some idea of how the equivalent of A LEVELS works out there and also how easy you found it to settle into a different educational system.

Do the UK uni's readily accept NZ further Ed qualifications.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:51 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle Rockey
Hi,

I've signed too because we will be in exactly the same situation in a couple of years.
Dragging our reluctant 16 year old over to NZ at the end of this year but he is determined to come back to the UK for uni.

Can you give me some idea of how the equivalent of A LEVELS works out there and also how easy you found it to settle into a different educational system.

Do the UK uni's readily accept NZ further Ed qualifications.
Can't answer this as well as a local could, but my hubbie was offered a place at London School of Economics with his quals from NZ. (He was an 'A' bursary student at the infamous Rangitoto College on Akl's North Shore).

It's going back a while, but his academic credentials got him the place that my comparatively weak A levels didn't get me. Having said that, he may have been classed as an International Student, so perhaps the entry requirements weren't as tough (for those paying more!?)
Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Michelle Rockey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Can't answer this as well as a local could, but my hubbie was offered a place at London School of Economics with his quals from NZ. (He was an 'A' bursary student at the infamous Rangitoto College on Akl's North Shore).

It's going back a while, but his academic credentials got him the place that my comparatively weak A levels didn't get me. Having said that, he may have been classed as an International Student, so perhaps the entry requirements weren't as tough (for those paying more!?)
Yeah I reckon they lower the bar for internationals cos they have higher expectations of us Brits

My hubby (from Singapore) couldn't get in UK med schools no matter how much dosh he tried to bribe the uni's with (which makes me think his A level results must have been pretty awful considering the above theory (results are a guarded secret on his part even after 8 years together).

I haven't got the nerve to even explore the horrendous costs that would be involved in sending him back to the UK classed as an international. What's the definition of residency I'm wondering if he spends so many weeks per year (ie school hols) in UK and uses relatives address whether that might be an option worth exploring.

Rangitoto is that a private college?