Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

McFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right section to post this in!

We are an English family looking to move back to the UK in 2018. We've been here for 13 years and NZ has been really good to us (earthquakes and all!). We live in Oxford, about 35 mins outside of Christchurch in a fast-growing country town with views to die for. We are getting older and our daughter has just been accepted into a uni in the UK, so we figured it's now or never to head back. All my family are there and we are really excited!

If anyone is wondering about living in North Canterbury, so within commuting distance of Christchurch, I'd be happy to answer questions.

< all snipped>

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 1st 2017 at 11:45 pm. Reason: No advertising or promoting on BE forums. Place in classifieds . Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default re: Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Originally Posted by McFamily
Hi everyone,

We are an English family looking to move back to the UK in 2018. We've been here for 13 years and NZ has been really good to us (earthquakes and all!). We live in Oxford, about 35 mins outside of Christchurch in a fast-growing country town with views to die for. We are getting older and our daughter has just been accepted into a uni in the UK, so we figured it's now or never to head back. All my family are there and we are really excited!

If anyone is wondering about living in North Canterbury, so within commuting distance of Christchurch, I'd be happy to answer questions.

< all snipped>

Exciting times ahead then.

If you have any queries about the big move back then perhaps try our UK forum.

You will notice I have made a big snip to your post. That is because there is no advertising or promoting on the BE open chat forums be it commercial or private, direct or oblique.

You may place something in our classified section if you wish and you can put a link into your profile signature + link your classified to your BE profile

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 1st 2017 at 11:45 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

We did the same thing earlier this year after 13 years in NZ. Exactly the same circumstances..no kids at home and getting on now so it was now or never. Despite many changes here in UK, not for the better generally, we haven't regretted coming back at all. We are enjoying being closer to family and re-acquainting ourselves with old friends. There is so much that we took for granted before we left for NZ that we are now making the most of...countryside walks, theatres, historic sites, country pubs, sense of humour etc. There are some things we occasionally miss about NZ but generally we are happy to be back and have no desire to return to NZ. Whereabouts will you be returning to? Good luck with the move.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by smudge1
We did the same thing earlier this year after 13 years in NZ. Exactly the same circumstances..no kids at home and getting on now so it was now or never. Despite many changes here in UK, not for the better generally, we haven't regretted coming back at all. We are enjoying being closer to family and re-acquainting ourselves with old friends. There is so much that we took for granted before we left for NZ that we are now making the most of...countryside walks, theatres, historic sites, country pubs, sense of humour etc. There are some things we occasionally miss about NZ but generally we are happy to be back and have no desire to return to NZ. Whereabouts will you be returning to? Good luck with the move.
We are looking to do the same early next year after 13 years and move back to the Lake District or as close to. Slightly different top the original poster that we now have a young child that we want to be close to her grandparents etc. Nice to read your post that it has been generally positive as there are moments I have my doubts. Maybe we should call this the 13 year itch??
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:52 pm
`

Originally Posted by BtotheR
We are looking to do the same early next year after 13 years and move back to the Lake District or as close to. Slightly different top the original poster that we now have a young child that we want to be close to her grandparents etc. Nice to read your post that it has been generally positive as there are moments I have my doubts. Maybe we should call this the 13 year itch??
Yup. I'd go with that one. On our 14th year and I am itching to make a change. I would like to live again in the UK with its proximity to Europe and other parts of the Northern Hemisphere. Like to be nearer to our very close friends and part of our respective family as the young ones are now getting married and having babies of their own. We have nothing like that here & miss the depth of contact.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by McFamily
Hi everyone,

< all snipped>
Hi McFamily - just wondering if you managed to make the move back to the UK?

b
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Interesting. We've been in NZ for years and have 2 kids around 7. Absolutely love it but if they return in the UK when older I could see us moving back too.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Interesting. We've been in NZ for years and have 2 kids around 7. Absolutely love it but if they return in the UK when older I could see us moving back too.
Mine went back, I stayed here
Old Mar 31st 2018, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the process of moving back to the UK too after almost 13 years in Auckland.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 6:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
Hi McFamily - just wondering if you managed to make the move back to the UK?

b
They haven't posted since the initial post in this thread so they may never see your question.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder if that might depend on what the ad was that Bevs got rid off
Old Apr 1st 2018, 11:30 pm
`

Originally Posted by sarahw
We're in the process of moving back to the UK too after almost 13 years in Auckland.
Are you?

We would have been seriously looking to head on out after 14yrs but for our old cat.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarahw
Hey Sarah - about the same time as us and we are planning on doing the same. Just wondering what your reasons are?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - sorry I've not been on here for a while and only just seen the messages.

Basically its only the 2 of us (and the dog!) and all our families are back in the UK. We decided to sell our place in Auckland as we were getting fed up of the maintenance and wanted to downsize. However we couldn't find anywhere further out of town where we wanted to live that I could take public transport to work (financial services) without spending hours commuting. After looking at other towns and trying to find nice places to rent with a dog (not willing to commit to buying initially) we just gave up looking.

We realised we wanted to do more travelling and could afford to go back to the UK for a few years, rent for a while plus spend more time with families.

So currently in the process of crate training the dog, decluttering and planning the move. 5 weeks to go!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Would you ever entertain returning to NZ in the future? And if yes, did you naturalize to make the transition easier in the future?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.