Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Returning Resident Visa

Returning Resident Visa

Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of
Default Returning Resident Visa

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what happens when the returning resident visa runs out ? do we have to apply for a new one ?
We have in our passports a 'returning resident visa' and a 'resident permit' which just states we can stay in NZ indefinatley.

Thank you
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:41 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning Resident Visa

You have 2 years from the date on the blue sticker to enter NZ then after two years you need to get the stickers renewed - these are then indefinite.

The original stickers have the word indefinite on them but they aren't. I was nearly stranded in Adelaide and my family in the UK when our two years ran out while we were overseas. It costs about $80 each - i think - to get the new visa put in your existing UK passport,
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anniiee
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what happens when the returning resident visa runs out ? do we have to apply for a new one ?
We have in our passports a 'returning resident visa' and a 'resident permit' which just states we can stay in NZ indefinatley.

Thank you
Its a bit confusing.
You may be allowed to stay in NZ indefinitely, but that doesnt mean you will be let back in if you went away on holiday!

To get back in the country, you need a valid RRV.

Initially my RRVs were valid for a couple of years, and I had to reapply at the end of each term.
But the third RRV I got was 'indefinite' so now Im truely a permanent resident.
But if your passport expires you still have to get that RRV visa transferred to your new passport , which costs.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

And don't waste your time searching NZIS for the IRRV form to fill out, there isn't one. It's the RV form and the conclude your indefinite status.

I aged several years looking for the form that does not exist ...
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
And don't waste your time searching NZIS for the IRRV form to fill out, there isn't one. It's the RV form and the conclude your indefinite status.

I aged several years looking for the form that does not exist ...
I have got more grey hairs looking for it
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You need to renew it to re enter NZ.

You need to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa as the RRVs are no longer issued.
The form is here:
Application from a Resident or former Resident Visa Holder
It costs $160 and if you would have fulfilled the criteria for an indefinite RRv then you should be issued with a 'Permanent Resident Visa'. It is much the same thing as an IRRV. If not then you are issued with a 'Resident Visa with Travel Conditions' which is similar to a 1yr or 2 yr RRV.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

jmcnelson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anniiee
Hi everyone,

Thank you
Our first returning residents visa lasted for two years. After that we applied for an indefinite returning visa. Then if you get that you wont need to go through this again. Another form I am afraid but its on the immigration website and is easy enough to complete. You will need to send your passports off to have the visa put in. They come back pretty quickly. If you dont do it, then effectively you do not have the right to return if you leave the Country to go on holiday etc. So in order to save you hassles its best to get it done.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmcnelson
Our first returning residents visa lasted for two years. After that we applied for an indefinite returning visa. Then if you get that you wont need to go through this again. Another form I am afraid but its on the immigration website and is easy enough to complete. You will need to send your passports off to have the visa put in. They come back pretty quickly. If you dont do it, then effectively you do not have the right to return if you leave the Country to go on holiday etc. So in order to save you hassles its best to get it done.
Hi jmcnelson.

Your info is out of date I'm afraid.

Please see Persephone's correct response above your own post..

Terminology has changed since we did the old RRV and IRRV thing. Those no longer exist.

It is as Persphone stated. Here is the LINK to the current form
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:55 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

A bit confused !!!!

I have a Residence Permit That says "The holder of this permit may remain in N Z indefinitely"
and a Returning Residence Visa
Both issued 27th Jan 2010.
These replaced my Residence Visa and previous Returning Residence Visa which i had when i first came
So can i come and go as I please now ???

Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi jmcnelson.

Your info is out of date I'm afraid.

Please see Persephone's correct response above your own post..

Terminology has changed since we did the old RRV and IRRV thing. Those no longer exist.
Im sorry but your answer is even more confusing.

RRVs do exist cos I have one in my passport and it is "indefinite" so it will last at least as long as my passport is valid.

That visa is whats getting me back into the country every time I leave.
I dont need anything else.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:51 am
`

Originally Posted by Browner_
Im sorry but your answer is even more confusing.

RRVs do exist cos I have one in my passport and it is "indefinite" so it will last at least as long as my passport is valid.

That visa is whats getting me back into the country every time I leave.
I dont need anything else.
That's OK. That's for you and what was issued before NZIS changed the terminology for what visas they issue.

BD Clayton. If you already have an old term IRRV then it stands good.

Browner. Please feel free to explain the difference between the old PR . RRV and IRRV's and the new PRV + what they need to do.

I felt Persephone showed the way.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS

Browner. Please feel free to explain the difference between the old PR . RRV and IRRV's and the new PRV + what they need to do.

I felt Persephone showed the way.
I have no idea, I didnt know there was a new PRV. Thats why its confusing.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:50 pm
`

Per this.

Originally Posted by Persephone
You need to renew it to re enter NZ.

You need to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa as the RRVs are no longer issued.
The form is here:
Application from a Resident or former Resident Visa Holder
It costs $160 and if you would have fulfilled the criteria for an indefinite RRv then you should be issued with a 'Permanent Resident Visa'. It is much the same thing as an IRRV. If not then you are issued with a 'Resident Visa with Travel Conditions' which is similar to a 1yr or 2 yr RRV.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Is it $160 for the whole application regardless of how many you include on the application or $160 each? I thought the old way was $80 for an IRRV each. If its $160 each that's a huge increase...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:50 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Is it $160 for the whole application regardless of how many you include on the application or $160 each? I thought the old way was $80 for an IRRV each. If its $160 each that's a huge increase...
The form includes sections for the principal applicant and those who were included in the original residence application. So as far as I know the fee is for everyone included in the original application

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.