Retiring to NZ

Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

mclean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring to NZ

Hello Everyone!

I'm Paul and I'm here on behalf of my friend Robert. We're both Brit expats currently living in Denmark where we've been throughout the past 30 years or so.

Here's the thing.

R will be elligible for a full state pension in a couple of years and would like nothing better than to live out his remaining years in NZ where he could do a spot of fishing in a nice, clean environment.

My advice to him is to get on to an appropriate forum right away where he might find answers to the many questions that must surely be coursing through his mind. The trouble is, unlike me, he's not internet savvy which is why I'm here. This is quite simply a preliminary run to find out whether or not this is indeed the best forum for R.

If it is, I'll have him up to speed on forum protocol in no time and you'll be hearing from him soon.

If not then any suggestions as to what other sites might suit him better would be greatly appreciated.

Just to reitterate: This is about someone who would like to RETIRE to NZ.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who spends time on this.

I wish you all the very best and good fortune on the road ahead.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to NZ

Hey Paul, welcome to the friendliest forum around....first question has got to be.. How old is your friend?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi there J

Robert is 57. Retirement up this way happens at age 60.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclean
Hi there J

And there I think is your buddys major stumbling block. Hopefully this will get seen by a few more people in the know. Have you tried the NZIS site or tried filling in the online EOI form - its free up to point of submission and will give you more idea of things. Good luck
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:39 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think there was a retirement visa . I think you've either got to be very rich or get a job or be sponsored by family or open a business but things change with immigration all the time so I could very well be talking nonsense! Plus am not sure if you'd have to pay tax on pension here.
Sorry, not much of a helpful reply really is it. I'll just move along now..
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by j19fmm
... major stumbling block ...

Oh yes! This has definitely been my major point of concern ever since Robert first laid this one on me. It makes perfect sense that NZ would be more open to a younger set of emigree - those who would be of greater benefit to the future developement of the nation, importing skills, raising families and the like. At least I imagine so. The trouble is, I don't know enough about it yet. I wouldn't feel justified in voicing my doubts without having a solid, valid reasoning to put behind them.

I'll check out those references tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

And TeamEmbo, your reply is helpful in that it confirms my own thinking along the lines of having to buy property or being very well connected at the very least. So thanks for that.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

On the age front...my dad wanted to go out to live in NZ last year after his marriage broke down but the guy at NZIS all but laughed at him, he's 75 but has money behind him. He also has family in NZ, brother and nephews. His brother has now taken NZ citizenship - he's only been there 50 odd years - but I have a feeling the age thing is still going against my dad. Still, when I finally get there I'll try and get him in as a dependant!!
It's really hard bursting someones bubble though. What about going along the business line, investing in a company? Perhaps do-able but risky?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:41 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

On the age front...my dad wanted to go out to live in NZ last year after his marriage broke down but the guy at NZIS all but laughed at him, he's 75 but has money behind him. He also has family in NZ, brother and nephews. His brother has now taken NZ citizenship - he's only been there 50 odd years - but I have a feeling the age thing is still going against my dad. Still, when I finally get there I'll try and get him in as a dependant!!
It's really hard bursting someones bubble though. What about going along the business line, investing in a company? Perhaps do-able but risky?
A 92 year old was admitted as an dependant parent this year.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:43 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Hi there J

Welcome to the forum, we are generally a mixed and helpful bunch.

55 is the cut off age unless you have plenty of money to buy your way in.

Pauline
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:35 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone!

I'm Paul and I'm here on behalf of my friend Robert. We're both Brit expats currently living in Denmark where we've been throughout the past 30 years or so.

Here's the thing.

R will be elligible for a full state pension in a couple of years and would like nothing better than to live out his remaining years in NZ where he could do a spot of fishing in a nice, clean environment.

My advice to him is to get on to an appropriate forum right away where he might find answers to the many questions that must surely be coursing through his mind. The trouble is, unlike me, he's not internet savvy which is why I'm here. This is quite simply a preliminary run to find out whether or not this is indeed the best forum for R.

If it is, I'll have him up to speed on forum protocol in no time and you'll be hearing from him soon.

If not then any suggestions as to what other sites might suit him better would be greatly appreciated.

Just to reitterate: This is about someone who would like to RETIRE to NZ.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who spends time on this.

I wish you all the very best and good fortune on the road ahead.

Cheers,

Paul.
Have a look here:-

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopp...s/agelimit.htm

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:07 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

My inlaws, who are 'old enough to know better'!!! came here last year on 3 year work visas.

Although my FIL is past retirement age in the UK and cut off age for residency, his employers were able to prove that he had knowledge and experience that was not within the New Zealand workplace.

The plan is for him to work for the next couple of years, when we will have been here long enough to sponsor them

so if your friend has a 'skill' that is on the shortage list, it may be worthwhile him approaching a company, getting a work visa and then maybe chance his luck with immigration

Best of Luck
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

These comments have been a great help. (kev&sarah - that was just beautiful!) I've also had a peek at some of the official pages and now have a much clearer idea of what Robert might be getting himself into.

As I myself have no plans to move down under, this is the last you'll hear from me. I'd just like to take a moment to say thankyou all round for your helpfullness and wish you all long life, wealth and prosperity in the days to come.

This is Paul, signing off.

Good fortune on the road ahead!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

And there I think is your buddys major stumbling block. Hopefully this will get seen by a few more people in the know. Have you tried the NZIS site or tried filling in the online EOI form - its free up to point of submission and will give you more idea of things. Good luck
I do believe that the cut off for NZIS age wise is 55 years. In Oz its 45 apparently!! Unless of course you are being sponsored by the greater faction of your family that already reside here or you can get here with said 'huge funds'..investment visa route.