Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Retirement in New Zealand

Retirement in New Zealand

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:24 am

jeff1949 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement in New Zealand

I am hoping to become an expat in New Zealand in two years time, when i finally retire. Are there any meeting places such clubs or cafes in London where i can chat to people about my enquiries?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Retirement in New Zealand

As per your post to the Oz forum.

What visa ?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:32 am

Thanks for replying to my email, I can not find any information for people wanting to retire in New Zealand. I am not a skilled man so don't qualify for that type of visa. So,
Iam a single man
Unemployed through medical illness
and have NVQ qualifications in IT
So if i was accepted as a retiree
What kind of visa would i have to apply for?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe you didn't look very far, here would be a good start regarding retirement opportunities

http://dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/1090

I doubt you have much chance unless you are healthy and/ or wealthy and seems on the face of it that you probably won't qualify on the former.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:11 am

Surely this discrimination for elderly people.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeff1949
Are you for real

Sorry to be blunt but why would NZ or any country want you if you cannot contribute to the economy?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all

I agree with you- have to say that most countries do not expect large sums of money to be invested, just as long as you can support yourself. I think it is "unreal" to expect so much and now see why it takes so long for people to get their visas. Hope it was worth it.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:48 pm
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice

IMO one of the main reasons people want to live in NZ is the space, low population. If they made it easier to gain visa's, regardless if you can support yourself, there would prob be lots more people moving there making it a little less desirable. Your going to need alot of money behind you to come over and retire if your to support yourself. Also there is criteria for all types of visa's, if one does not qualify it is not discrimination. Thats like someone saying i cant get a family visa because i dont have family in NZ being discrimination for people with no family in NZ! crazy to say that!
Old Mar 25th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Any country wants to accept people who will be of some benefit or will fill a skill shortage.
You will not benefit the country or fill a skill shortage, there is a good chance that your
illness will create a financial burden on the state in years to come so apart from
a holiday visa I think you will be out of luck unless you have immediate family here ( children ) who could sponsor.
sorry if that sounds harsh but you'll find this to be the case anywhere outside of the countries you are
free to travel to that are part of the EU.

TBH I'm not sure anyone could be this naive. Troll anyone !!!

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 25th 2012 at 1:26 am.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:32 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
TBH I'm not sure anyone could be this naive. Troll anyone !!!
You could be right Col
Wouldn't the first thing to do is ask whether it was actually possible...

Last edited by Persephone; Mar 25th 2012 at 9:33 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not sure on that. It may just be that as Oz and NZ are part of the commonwealth, he thought he could simply arrive here or OZ and live off his UK pension. Quite what he thought would happen about his 'medical illness' I'm not sure.

I do agree though. It always seems odd to me that some people are only interested in other's lifestyles or what's the weather like when their are not even sure they can actually arrive to live/work. There again I think some just like to daydream and use places like BE to do just that.

Originally Posted by positive pam
have to say that most countries do not expect large sums of money to be invested, just as long as you can support yourself.
Which countries PP ? Canada, for instance, has no category for retiree's , other than family sponsorship.

The aim is to ensure that the country nets in those that can benefit not burden the country. Who is to know when a person stops being able to support themselves . At least the criteria and policies in place aim to ensure that people coming in are able to properly support themselves at the outset.

edit...
I'd also like to add that coming to live in a somewhat isolated country on the other side of the world costs money.
I'm only 4/5 years younger that the OP. Would I consider moving myself from the UK to here on a fixed UK pension & no support network ? No.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 25th 2012 at 9:05 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

This from the Australian forum so possibly thinking NZ would be an option as well.

To Bermuda shorts, I was not being sarcastic but was in shock at the amount of money I would have to pay. I was nieve to think i could retire on a british pension alone. I thought as Australia was part of the commonwealth I would be accepted, but obiously not.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'd also like to add that coming to live in a somewhat isolated country on the other side of the world costs money.
I'm only 4/5 years younger that the OP. Would I consider moving myself from the UK to here on a fixed UK pension & no support network ? No.
I was thinking similar if it were one of my rellies; mother, father or in-laws thinking of doing the same I wouldn't let them do it. I also know that at their ages, only a few years older than the OP, they absolutely would not cope here alone and have said as much. Personally, I would say it is an absolutely insane idea to even consider it, but each to their own.

Honestly think that moving anywhere new as an old age pensioner alone would be a struggle, when you don't know a soul, don't have any family and have no day job to go to. Elderly people around where I am must all be in retirement villages or else I don't know where they live, as I never see them. It would be incredibly difficult to mobilise themselves and be near enough to facilites that don't require a 3km walk up and down massive hills and we're not very pedestrian friendly.

Places like Orewa though are a big draw for the olds, but then you have to consider any hospital facilites would be many, many miles away and for me that would be would be a major worry.

I know there's a few rural small medical facilities dotted around, but the distances are vast. Once you get past the North Shore of Auckland for example the next hospital is 3 + hours drive to Whangarei and beyond that....... nothing much.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Honestly think that moving anywhere new as an old age pensioner alone would be a struggle,
I hope not, I've always planned to end my days as a modern day global pikey
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah yes, would be fun if you're fit and well to have a go at being ye old grey nomad for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.