British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rethink? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rethink-684563/)

gags Sep 8th 2010 3:48 pm

Rethink?

I have to ask this question. Has recent events in New Zealand made any of you rethink the whole move? :confused:

concretepump Sep 8th 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Rethink?

Originally Posted by gags (Post 8834298)
I have to ask this question. Has recent events in New Zealand made any of you rethink the whole move? :confused:

no not really, have visas house not sold so can not go , you could get run over by a bus so no difference in an earthquake, all ways remember there is someone worse off than you :thumbsup:

DennisBergkamp Sep 8th 2010 4:40 pm

Its done the opposite for me
I'm more happy to go now

I was worried before thinking is NZ ready for a biggish earthquake in an urban area? What would the damage be? would people survive?

I had no recent examples to go by.

So having seen no one died in Christchurch, despite the awful situation people are in, i wouldnt miss NZ for anything

Cant wait to be there - whatever is going to happen will happen

Toon_Nut Sep 8th 2010 4:41 pm

Nope, not a cat n hell's chance that'll stop me from going!
:thumbup:

The opportunity of my bed rocking for more than 20 seconds once again at my ages makes me even more determined!!
:eek:
:o

:(

squarepants Sep 8th 2010 5:10 pm

No, in fact the lack of crime/looting and the way people have just opened their doors to each other has confirmed that coming here to raise the children was the best think we ever did.

I know there are far less people to help, but then there are far less people to do the helping and support the services so it's all relative.

They intend to name and shame anyone they do catch looting etc.

We're in a tsunami warning zone and the alarm went off once last year. We've just got a box of camping gear ready to go in the garage with torches/batteries/gas bottles etc and all of the water/drinking containers are in the same place. If we had to leave in a hurry, copies of all our documents are saved onto a pen drive as well as the lap top and the 4 of us could be packed and on the road in less than 10 minutes with everything we needed to camp for 5 days.

joannii Sep 8th 2010 6:25 pm

Nope not us, probably like others have said it makes us more positive because of the responses from the community. :)

jmh Sep 8th 2010 6:37 pm

Not really as I'm planning to go to Auckland anyway. Mind you plenty of old volcanos there!:eek:

My parents think with me living in London I am at risk of terrorist bombs so I guess there is perceived risk anywhere you live. NZ is pretty well set up for earthquakes so it's not as bad as some other countries.

Charlie Paynter Sep 8th 2010 6:49 pm

It should have no effect on your decision to go.

Apart from the fact that no one was killed (and contrast this to the Haiti quake which was the same magnitude but killed 230,000), which must have something to do with the building standards, natural disasters (which claim lives) in NZ are seldom.

Then there is the UK natural disasters, like the Boscastle and Cumbrian floods (which claimed lives). On top of this, we have also had the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud, which shows that even the UK could easily be affected if a serious eruption happened in Iceland.

All in all, I would say NZ is still a very safe place.

rushmere Sep 8th 2010 7:03 pm

It's in no way affecting our decision to go. However, we were wavering between Christchurch and Auckland, and this may push us more towards Auckland, if only for the fact that I'm a bit concerned about the short term difficulties of living in Christchurch at the moment.

pixi-dust Sep 8th 2010 7:19 pm

I think they way that it's being dealt with by everyone is absolutely amazing. Amazing.
It makes me feel very proud actually.

There is a large part of the NI not on the earthquake 'zone'.

simonsi Sep 8th 2010 8:34 pm

Frankly I would be more worried about the UK´s ability to flood here, there and everywhere it seems.

Chick-a-dee Sep 8th 2010 8:50 pm

I also thought that it was fantastic that they turned down all offers of international aid too. How considerate the kiwi folk are.:)

janeyk Sep 8th 2010 10:23 pm

its been noted that the Kiwis and aus's are generous people and give money and time to charity perhaps the reason for not accepting aid is no one died we are prepapred and there is always someone worse off than you such as Packistan etc!

Genesis Sep 8th 2010 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 8834605)
Not really as I'm planning to go to Auckland anyway. Mind you plenty of old volcanos there!:eek:

My parents think with me living in London I am at risk of terrorist bombs so I guess there is perceived risk anywhere you live. NZ is pretty well set up for earthquakes so it's not as bad as some other countries.

No where in NZ is safe from EQs (even Northland apparently). No one thought this one would happen as its well off a known fault line. Life is too short. It does make me think about 'safe old England' but I would never leave NZ because of its seismic activity. If anyone is put off they either have a well heightened risk aversion or they were not that keen in the 1st place.

Genesis Sep 8th 2010 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee (Post 8834898)
I also thought that it was fantastic that they turned down all offers of international aid too. How considerate the kiwi folk are.:)

I thought it was a bit stupid frankly. We apparently are the 2nd most generous when it comes to charity..Oz was 1st. Funny that a few years ago we were apparently the meanest!! We should not turn down international help..its a bit of a slap in the face to those that offered. And we do need the help. That is quite clear. But no worries like S Cant. Finance just put it on the tax payers bill. We will bail them out.