Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Retaining resident status

Retaining resident status

Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:48 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retaining resident status

Hi all,
I didn't have much luck posting this in the immigration forum so will try my luck here!
Does anyone know how you retain your NZ residency? Do you have to stay in NZ for a certain number of days/years to remain a resident or can you come & go as you please once you have your visa?
Louise x
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice
Default Re: Retaining resident status

Originally Posted by louise033
Hi all,
I didn't have much luck posting this in the immigration forum so will try my luck here!
Does anyone know how you retain your NZ residency? Do you have to stay in NZ for a certain number of days/years to remain a resident or can you come & go as you please once you have your visa?
Louise x
Hi ya

As far as I am aware you have your resident's visa in your passport for life BUT you also have a "Returning Residents Visa" which lasts 2 years, so you can come and go for those two years. When it is up you have to apply for a renewal if you are looking to leave NZ and return. I had to take in my IRD card with my passport and they did ask a few questions although nothing serious. Hope this helps
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:09 pm

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharronemery
Hi ya

As far as I am aware you have your resident's visa in your passport for life BUT you also have a "Returning Residents Visa" which lasts 2 years, so you can come and go for those two years. When it is up you have to apply for a renewal if you are looking to leave NZ and return. I had to take in my IRD card with my passport and they did ask a few questions although nothing serious. Hope this helps
Thank you, that really helps a lot,
Louise x
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Have you been a resident for two years?
In those first two years you must spend a certain amount of time in the country (think it is 10 months a year) once you have done this you then apply for your returning residents visa which allows you to come and go as you please.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Have you been a resident for two years?
In those first two years you must spend a certain amount of time in the country (think it is 10 months a year) once you have done this you then apply for your returning residents visa which allows you to come and go as you please.
No, we are currently resident in Canada and have sent in our NZ skilled worker application. We still want/need to spend time each year in Canada and wondered how we would do this (or if it was even possible) whilst retaining residency in both countries
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

No, we are currently resident in Canada and have sent in our NZ skilled worker application. We still want/need to spend time each year in Canada and wondered how we would do this (or if it was even possible) whilst retaining residency in both countries
Here's a link for the info you need:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...al/default.htm
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Winnie
Here's a link for the info you need:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...al/default.htm
Thanks Winnie - I searched that site but am obviously blind!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
Louise x
If you have "PR", permanent residence, when you arrive in NZ you will get "Holder may remain indefinitely" stamped in your passport. IT MEANS WHAT IT SAYS ! You only have to use the RRV Returning Visa , IF you leave the country and want to return ! The first RRV lasts 2 years, each time you re-enter NZ you will get a new Residence Permit stamp in your passport. After 2 years you can apply for a permanent RRV depending on your situation, job, house, time spent in NZ (calculated from the PR passport stamps). If you have no job, no house and have spent most of the first 2 years outside NZ, you will not get a permanent RRV awarded.

BUT the most important thing is if you get the initial PR stamp in your passport on arrival in NZ, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN NZ INDEFINITELY !!!!! RRVs are ONLY for people intending to leave and return to NZ
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

You would have to be pretty crazy though to think that you will never leave the country again! Never go on holiday overseas???
So you do need to get the returning residence visa stamp after two years.