Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Retail Therpy in New Zealand

Retail Therpy in New Zealand

Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Retail Therpy in New Zealand

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Oh and I bought a really rather nice pair of faded, flared type jeans from The Warehouse the other day in their sale for $25! You just have to be clever about it and when people ask me where i got them from I don't say The Warehouse I say "The House of Ware"

Paula
The Warehouse is ok, I worked in their IT dept when I was in Auckland. They buy in Bulk form mainly third world countries and China and a lot of the stuff is the same as you'd get in Jeans West type shops with a different label.

They buy in huge quantities and so can force the price down and they pass on most of the saving to the comsumer as they spend very little on presentation (why do you think they are called the Big Red Shed).

When I was their they were the fastest growing retail outlet in the country. I would say their stuff is not top of the line just average quality at a low price. For general ware and tear it's fine.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
The Warehouse is ok, I worked in their IT dept when I was in Auckland. They buy in Bulk form mainly third world countries and China and a lot of the stuff is the same as you'd get in Jeans West type shops with a different label.

They buy in huge quantities and so can force the price down and they pass on most of the saving to the comsumer as they spend very little on presentation (why do you think they are called the Big Red Shed).

When I was their they were the fastest growing retail outlet in the country. I would say their stuff is not top of the line just average quality at a low price. For general ware and tear it's fine.
Paul, I cannot let this go.

The Warehouse sell rubbish. It is sub-standard Taiwan stuff - the sort of thing they can't flog to UK or US. New Zealanders are ripped off because this is the cheapest shop there (apart from the $2 shop) and it is nearly all rubbish. It is not even cheap when you compare it to Oz/NZ wages and shows what a rip-off this side of the world is. Poms - you ain't been ripped off till you've been to the Warehouse.

This is my public duty to say this and is based on a number of dud purchases made during holidays to NZ.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
They buy in Bulk form mainly third world countries

they were the fastest growing retail outlet in the country
Gives you some idea of how low NZ wages are. Taiwan crap shop is the only one kiwis can afford - says it all for NZ. Oz is not much better.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 7:40 am
NZ bound Jan 04

monkeyman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Gives you some idea of how low NZ wages are. Taiwan crap shop is the only one kiwis can afford - says it all for NZ. Oz is not much better.

OK Buddy

We get the idea, just gettin off the subject a little now.

Is there anything like M&S, Next or Debenhams?

How overall does it compare to the UK?

Steve
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually in total agreement with Wilf on this one, and before everyone starts moaning i don't know what im on about, i've lived in NZ for nearly 3 years.

Even in Auckland, shopping is sh!te. Yes, there are (a few) shops selling Hugo Boss, Armani etc etc BUT they have an extremely limited range, and almost everything they sell is last years range, what couldn't be sold in places like the UK/europe.

There are plenty of places similar to Burtons in the UK (wouldn't touch em with a barge pole), and nothing like Next / Paul Smith / Harvey Nicks / Marks & Sparks etc. I like expensive clothes & like to look my best, sadly NZ is pretty much third world in the clothes dept & I gave up shopping for decent clothes here 2 years ago. Now it's either a trip to Melbourne/Sydney, or stock up when I go back to the UK.

Be prepared to 'dress down' big time. If you want decent stuff, your first port of call should be the Flight Centre for a ticket to Sydney, Melbourne or the UK.

Russ.

ps it's pretty much the same with groceries. Woolworths (yes woolies) is The top end supermarket in NZ, & they don't have ANYTHING like the stuff you can buy in Sainsburys/M & S.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by monkeyman
OK Buddy

We get the idea, just gettin off the subject a little now.

Is there anything like M&S, Next or Debenhams?

How overall does it compare to the UK?

Steve
No there is nothing like M&S, Next, etc. Lots like dorothy perkins, etam, chain stores like that which are fine for everyday wear. There are a few boutique shops but no 'department stores' that we are used to here. That doesn't mean to say give up hope as you can get decent day wear as I said, if you want something dressy up you may have to make a special trip. We honestly didn't find it a problem though as you just don't get judge on 'labels' the way you do here and soon you realise that all you need is shorts and t-shirts for at home/weekends.
Comparing shopping to the uk ...well it is not as good BUT the shopping meets the requirments of your lifestyle in NZ not UK.
But really don't worry about it, just go and have a good time and a good look around and enjoy.....
Old Jun 17th 2003, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel compelled to spring to Wilf's defence - was there any need to attack him and be quite so predictably ageist because he made some remark about the shops still selling Teddy Boy suits? Insulting a man on the basis of him being 60 is shoddy. He was merely putting across his point of view. I, for one, know exactly what he means and have to agree that the quality of goods on offer at many shops tends to be sub standard clothing made in Taiwanese/Phillipine sweat shops. It falls apart after a couple of washings and compared to some of the stylish clothing you get all over Europe is disappointing. But there again it may cease to be so important when the majority are forced to wear these sorts of clothes as there is limited choice and any so-called designer labels are too dear. In my present line of work I have to be well dressed and there is a lot of competion in the workplace to look good and a lot of label competiveness. It may feel good to slouch about for a while.

E
Old Jun 17th 2003, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that we're heading down under for a better life but are whinging because they don't have Next and M&S?

Surely half of the attraction is the fact that things ARE different there? If we wanted things to be the same we could stay in the UK, (or settle in Chch ). Anyway, NZ has some very good brands of it's own...

Ben (with tongue in cheek! )
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

and soon you realise that all you need is shorts and t-shirts for at home/weekends.
Are T-Shirts and Shorts ok for winter time as well then (thinking of what to pack for a visit in August/September).

Regards
Old Jun 17th 2003, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I are both in our early 30's and have noticed the older we get the less bother we are about brand names. With living 1 hour from London and all the big shopping malls in the southeast we tend not care. London is full of people were designer clobber which costs a bomb. Next and M&S are sensibly priced. One idea me and my mates have come up with that might help. get them to sell the English fashion magazines then contact them to buy and send you the item. If the prices are similar does it really matter about postage. Remember most of these designer labels cost £400 but cost a fourth to produce. Is it worht it and in NZ who really cares.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:06 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scarlett G
No there is nothing like M&S, Next, etc. Lots like dorothy perkins, etam, chain stores like that which are fine for everyday wear. There are a few boutique shops but no 'department stores' that we are used to here.

We have Farmers here which I would say is a department store. It has a clothes section, a perfume counter, and also sells white goods nearest Uk counter part is I suppose BHS.
I can't comment on the designer clothes thing as I haven't even looked for any. I don't like clothes shopping and certainly don't like the label thing. They are all made in sweat shops by kids whatever the label says.
My mum sent me some money to buy some clothes for myself and 3 weeks later it is still in my purse cause I really don't enjoy the experience. My $25 'House of Ware' jeans are doing just fine they have been washed loads of times and are still in one piece A good investment as far as i'm concerened as my hubby says my bum looks real good in them , and his is the only opinion i'm interested in.

Paula
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts exactly as long as it looks good who cares whether is Prada, Gucci or £10.99 from the market. As long as it not thread bare.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by icklepickle
Are T-Shirts and Shorts ok for winter time as well then (thinking of what to pack for a visit in August/September).

Regards
Assumeing your going to Auckland, think English Autumn and thats the sort of weather to expect. If you are going futher south Wellington and Christchurh, start thinking english Winter.

You might get away with shorts and tee shirt during the day a couple of times but mainly you will need jacket, pullover or sweat shirt to be realy comfortable (Not all just one of)
Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that Auckland fashion shopping is Third World in comparison to London/New York/Paris etc but its not a complete desert.

Smith and Caughey in Auckland has the same Armani range as Harvey Nicks in London and you can get some very nice gear in the boutique shops such as Keith Mattheson.

In my opinion there isn't the same choice as the UK but there are a few good designer stores in Auckland and you don't need to go to Sydney to get some decent clobber.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

When we were in NZ, it was not so much the lack of designer labels that we noticed, but that you couldn't even get a decent pair of strides that were just simple style. I do not know a designer label from a Heinz baked beans label, but I do know that Nz is crappy compared to sydney or London when it comes to even just getting some black trousers for going to a restaurant fot steak and chips, let alone for young people trying to pull. The stock of sizes was a bloody joke and it was like going back in a time machine. Actually, I think they did have doctor who's long scarf in stock, but that is all. If I was in NZ, even I would be getting the plane to Oz for clothes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.