Reload this Page >

Retail Therpy in New Zealand

Retail Therpy in New Zealand

Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:34 pm
NZ bound Jan 04

monkeyman1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retail Therpy in New Zealand

HELP!!

Me, the wife and the kids are going to NZ first 2 weeks of Aug to check it out prior to immigration.

The problem is my WIFE!

She does like her retail therpy especialy high street fashion.

She is driving me banannas and nuts, with her fear that NZ will not cater for her taste and obsession.

We have been told by a recent visitor its not very good for shopaholics unless you like yaght ware.

We are in our early 30's and dress in casual somtimes branded fashionable clothes.

Be brutal and tell us the truth, any comments would be great.

Cheers Steve
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:52 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worth a look

http://www.newzealandsites.com/busin...hopping-malls/
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retail Therpy in New Zealand

Originally posted by monkeyman
HELP!!

Me, the wife and the kids are going to NZ first 2 weeks of Aug to check it out prior to immigration.

The problem is my WIFE!

She is driving me banannas and nuts, with her fear that NZ will not cater for her taste and obsession.

We have been told by a recent visitor its not very good for shopaholics unless you like yaght ware.

We are in our early 30's and dress in casual somtimes branded fashionable clothes.

Cheers Steve
Been there, we are the same age with the same approach to clothes (well in the UK at least)...I guess there is quite good shopping depending where you go, e.g. Auckland and wellington for big shopping trips. They do have some pretty good high street shops, but we did miss Next (mad I know) especially the sales. Big retail therapy is not the same over there as in the UK HOWEVER what you will find is that it does not seem to be as important, you just don't need to be top fashion person as you do in the UK we are so much more materialistic here. I found I didn't wear half my clothes when we went out to NZ as all you need for most of the year is shorts and t-shirts!!
Old Jun 16th 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwi fashion is a bit of an oxymoron.

Coming from London you'll find the shopping pretty bad. There are designer shops in Auckland where you can buy the usual Armani, Boss, Versace labels but the prices are the same as the UK. As you will be earning less they will seem so much more expensive relative to your take home pay.

In my experience the dress code is much less formal and you can wear pretty much what you want. Designer labels don't have the same quodos as they do in the UK.

Shopping in Sydney is much better.

My wife misses Next and M&S terribly so stock up on work clothes before you come.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

HELP!!

The problem is my WIFE!

Cheers Steve
My wife finds both Auckland and Wellington pretty hopeless for clothes shopping when we have been to NZ on holiday, so I think young people like yourselves will be weeping. Do not even mention Christchurch - this is like a living graveyard even to a 60 year old like me. I think they are still selling Teddy Boy suits there.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:39 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

HELP!!

The problem is my WIFE!

Cheers Steve

These questions can be tricky to answer as trying to guess a complete strangers shopping habits isn't easy.
I've never really been into clothes shopping (bores me sensless), and we have always been strapped for cash both in the UK and here. So i have always been a bit of a bargin hunter. In the UK I was quite content with the high street choice of Dotty P's, Etam type stores (Next when there was a sale on). Here there are many stores of that type. I am sure there are more up market ones but I haven't bothered to look. The estate agent who sold us our house had a wardrobe to die for and I'm sure more shoes than Emelda Marcos, she was a self confessed shopoholic and obviously had no problem feeding her habit.

Paula
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:44 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
These questions can be tricky to answer as trying to guess a complete strangers shopping habits isn't easy.
I've never really been into clothes shopping (bores me sensless), and we have always been strapped for cash both in the UK and here. So i have always been a bit of a bargin hunter. In the UK I was quite content with the high street choice of Dotty P's, Etam type stores (Next when there was a sale on). Here there are many stores of that type. I am sure there are more up market ones but I haven't bothered to look. The estate agent who sold us our house had a wardrobe to die for and I'm sure more shoes than Emelda Marcos, she was a self confessed shopoholic and obviously had no problem feeding her habit.

Paula

Oh and I bought a really rather nice pair of faded, flared type jeans from The Warehouse the other day in their sale for $25! You just have to be clever about it and when people ask me where i got them from I don't say The Warehouse I say "The House of Ware"

Paula
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

themetalmessiah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
My wife finds both Auckland and Wellington pretty hopeless for clothes shopping when we have been to NZ on holiday, so I think young people like yourselves will be weeping. Do not even mention Christchurch - this is like a living graveyard even to a 60 year old like me. I think they are still selling Teddy Boy suits there.

Hello 'WILF' , some of us find you pretty sad! Not to mention
your negative 'wind-up' posts! For a supposed 60 year old,
wisdom has not come with your age! I sense an envious,jealous , very bitter type of person! How many other websites do you
pollute with your negative tones? Go get a life 'WILF' , oh! i am
sorry , you've already had yours and messed it up maybe?
You are 'RUDE AND IGNORANT' and of no help to people on here!
I have bitten! because i am angry!!

Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh and I bought a really rather nice pair of faded, flared type jeans from The Warehouse the other day in their sale for $25! You just have to be clever about it and when people ask me where i got them from I don't say The Warehouse I say "The House of Ware"

Paula
I remember this shop in NZ. It sells complete rubbish. It is meant to be cheap but the real problem is that the stuff it sells is not even worth the ten NZ dollars they charge for it. Your jeans will probably fall apart in 2 months.
That is what I mean about Christchurch- you are forced to buy clothes at the Warehouse. Probably because that is all you can afford on low NZ wages? There is no equivalent of the Warehouse in the UK - it is worse than the worst market stall in the UK (I have bought better stuff from a man with a suitcase in the street) and you are better going to the Salvation Army shops and getting secondhand (I am not even joking, this is good advice). I would not even buy a nail there in case it did not do the job.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:17 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

I remember this shop in NZ. It sells complete rubbish. It is meant to be cheap but the real problem is that the stuff it sells is not even worth the ten NZ dollars they charge for it. Your jeans will probably fall apart in 2 months.
That is what I mean about Christchurch- you are forced to buy clothes at the Warehouse. Probably because that is all you can afford on low NZ wages? There is no equivalent of the Warehouse in the UK - it is worse than the worst market stall in the UK (I have bought better stuff from a man with a suitcase in the street) and you are better going to the Salvation Army shops and getting secondhand (I am not even joking, this is good advice). I would not even buy a nail there in case it did not do the job.

You got me to bite once, but never again. Your wasting your time, go find someone else to goad.

Paula
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

marlyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said Paula!!!
Hope everything is going OK woth your PR by the way.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by themetalmessiah
Hello 'WILF' , some of us find you pretty sad! Not to mention
your negative 'wind-up' posts! For a supposed 60 year old,
wisdom has not come with your age! I sense an envious,jealous , very bitter type of person! How many other websites do you
pollute with your negative tones? Go get a life 'WILF' , oh! i am
sorry , you've already had yours and messed it up maybe?
You are 'RUDE AND IGNORANT' and of no help to people on here!
I have bitten! because i am angry!!

No, I do not pollute any other websites with my 'negative tones'.

This 'negative tones' is a very nice phrase. I will open a record shop called "Wilf's Negative Tones" and perhaps you will buy a record or two from me? I think your taste is The Smurfs? I will keep their greatest hits in stock until you come to collect.

You say "I sense..." - you are a stage psychic perhaps? Why not say "I think ..."? It sounds like you are going to say "I sense that Auntie Doris is talking to me from the other side ..."

Let me guess. If I said all in Oz and NZ was perfect then I would have "wisdom" but I have not got "wisdom" because I criticise them? You are without a single idea and your propaganda in favour of something you know little about will be a great help to those who are considering emigrating you think?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

You got me to bite once, but never again. Your wasting your time, go find someone else to goad.

Paula
I have attacked the Warehouse as the lousy con that it is. You do not wish to defend it even though you dress from there?
Do not take this as me being snobby - I attack the warehouse for selling crap, not for being cheap.
You are doing someone a favour recommending the warehouse? No way. They sell rubbish that is not even worth $1 let alone 25.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

themetalmessiah is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I do not pollute any other websites with my 'negative tones'.

This 'negative tones' is a very nice phrase. I will open a record shop called "Wilf's Negative Tones" and perhaps you will buy a record or two from me? I think your taste is The Smurfs? I will keep their greatest hits in stock until you come to collect.

You say "I sense..." - you are a stage psychic perhaps? Why not say "I think ..."? It sounds like you are going to say "I sense that Auntie Doris is talking to me from the other side ..."

Let me guess. If I said all in Oz and NZ was perfect then I would have "wisdom" but I have not got "wisdom" because I criticise them? You are without a single idea and your propaganda in favour of something you know little about will be a great help to those who are considering emigrating you think?
It must be you who is psychic! how else could you have known my taste in music? Hurry up why dont you, Auntie Doris is
waiting for you!! Who needs ideas when we have a 'know all'
Wilf to keep us in stitches! Laugh! I never started!!
I would of thought a graveyard was more your idea of a fun
day out !
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by themetalmessiah
It must be you who is psychic! how else could you have known my taste in music? Hurry up why dont you, Auntie Doris is
waiting for you!! Who needs ideas when we have a 'know all'
Wilf to keep us in stitches! Laugh! I never started!!
I would of thought a graveyard was more your idea of a fun
day out !
Your mentioning again of "graveyard" makes me think that you are in Christchurch, NZ and resented my describing it as a graveyard? You disagree? I think Tutankhamen would find it lifeless and would find that he could not get a fashionable replacement of bandages there. There is more life in a morgue is there not? I am 60 and felt too young for its "charms". What have you to say in its defence? That there is no crime? There is no crime on the moon but you would not want to live there. There is no noise? Again, the afterlife is quiet but most delay their arrival there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.