British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Restrictions on moving furniture to nz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/restrictions-moving-furniture-nz-829297/)

Charlie time to move Mar 22nd 2014 8:32 am

Restrictions on moving furniture to nz

Hi all,

I'm sure there are threads on this but I am struggling to find my way around.
We are looking at moving to nz next year and as such are investigating everything.

So my question is - it seems better to ship everything which is cool but when looking at import restrictions wood is on there. All of our furniture is wooden! Does any one know / have already moved their furniture, whether wooden furniture and photo frame items can be imported?

Thanks a bunch

RobDon Mar 22nd 2014 9:29 am

Re: Restrictions on moving furniture to nz

Originally Posted by Charlie time to move (Post 11185239)
Hi all,

I'm sure there are threads on this but I am struggling to find my way around.
We are looking at moving to nz next year and as such are investigating everything.

So my question is - it seems better to ship everything which is cool but when looking at import restrictions wood is on there. All of our furniture is wooden! Does any one know / have already moved their furniture, whether wooden furniture and photo frame items can be imported?

Thanks a bunch

We brought our wooden furniture no problem. ;)

Charlie time to move Mar 22nd 2014 9:30 am

Thanks ;)

MrsFychan Mar 22nd 2014 9:36 am

treated wooden furniture will be fine.

Pine cones are a no no.

kiwi wanna be Mar 22nd 2014 5:26 pm

Our container is due in today - and we have wooden furniture and ornaments - will let you know once we do :D

Charlie time to move Mar 22nd 2014 5:30 pm

Hi kiwi wanna be. Thanks that would be much appreciated. I checked and wood is prohibited but every blooming piece of furniture I own has wood in it! Lol - wondering if it's untreated wood but not sure.

Fingers crossed yours all comes through ok ;)

Thanks

Charlie time to move ;)

j19fmm Mar 22nd 2014 9:52 pm

Wooden furniture is fine, all the wood is treated. They're talking about untreated wood. I brought all my bookcases, bedframes, tables etc. Not a bother.;)

Charlie time to move Mar 22nd 2014 10:07 pm

J19fmm thanks a bunch - I thought that maybe the case but where I was reading it , it wasn't clear.

Thanks muchly.

Now just need to sort cv, job and funds to relocate lol ;) 12 months of saving and I hope to be starting a new life there too ;)

Thanks again