Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Resigning from a job

Resigning from a job

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 1:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resigning from a job

do you expect to at least get an acknowledgement or the fact they are now advertising the 2 positions do I just assume they have received mine and another colleagues resignations?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:07 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resigning from a job

If your contract of employment states what your period of notice is and you have requested termination within that criteria then all is done and dusted though confirmation of your final finishing date would have been polite. Any salary adjustment (week/month in hand) or holidays due needs to be agreed prior to departure ?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Resigning from a job

Traditionally they do an exit interview but I suppose it depends on the employer. There was no questions about why you where leaving or if you'd reconsider?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:40 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
do you expect to at least get an acknowledgement or the fact they are now advertising the 2 positions do I just assume they have received mine and another colleagues resignations?
I wouldn't necessarily expect a formal acknowledgement. Probably depends on what sort of organisation it is.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 4:30 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

nope nada, no final exit interview or even why? I know they were shocked, know someone who works with the powers that be told me, but not one person has even had the common decency to say "well done, good job and thanks".
Guess with the way things were going I shouldn't really be surprised and I know they really have no clue what the hell they are doing and are making things up as they go along, main reason why I left as just couldn't handle the incompetence and low standards. Luckily I think I can get the lady I know quite well to do any reference as she is Treasurer (its an after school care facility) and the current Chairperson is also looking to leave so think he will be gone soon if not already.
Should I ask for a written reference now or just ask her if she will referee in the future as I have her personal mobile? mind you what happens if they have to close and she is no longer employed?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:23 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

You are leaving them so forget the fanfare's just get your written references and depart quietly. Never trust for help at a later date.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999
You are leaving them so forget the fanfare's just get your written references and depart quietly. Never trust for help at a later date.
yep that was the idea, have left already and was expecting them to acknowledge and give some sort of reference but as I say they haven't even acknowledged my voice message and formal email/letter, never know they may just wait the months notice and then send it, yeh and hens have teeth.

Oh well, will write to the treasurer and ask her to do one one headed paper for me.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:33 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
never know they may just wait the months notice and then send it, yeh and hens have teeth.

Oh well, will write to the treasurer and ask her to do one one headed paper for me.
Keep 'reminding' them until you get it.

Don't forget, you can ask for Employment Mediation (look up 'Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment - employment mediation' online). You could phone their helpline to ask how they can help you with your employment issues.

If you want formal mediation to request that your former employer provides confirmation of dates of your employment, holiday pay owed (if any), this is where you request it. Also if you have any other relevant claims.

Their service is free and confidential. If it comes to it, you can file at the Employment Relations Authority. There is a filing fee of $70 odd dollars but the information of the matter is in the public domain should anyone require it.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 3rd 2015 at 7:56 am. Reason: better phrasing
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:33 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

While it is a very good idea to get a written reference before you leave, keep in contact with the person because some employers will want a referee they can contact, even if that person has also moved on.

If they are poorly managed you do need to make sure that they are calculating the correct notice period and leave payments. You get paid for any leave you are owed but didn't take.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
While it is a very good idea to get a written reference before you leave, keep in contact with the person because some employers will want a referee they can contact, even if that person has also moved on.

If they are poorly managed you do need to make sure that they are calculating the correct notice period and leave payments. You get paid for any leave you are owed but didn't take.

Important to stand up professionally regardless of the organisation you are leaving. Lasting memories are held by more than just the people above you.

Perhaps you could suggest formal exit interview as a proactive point?

Written reference also provides support against later negative verbal?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:29 am

luckily I was secondary signature for all staff payments so all monies and holiday pay is correct and paid.
I have already spoken to Work and Labour about the conditions there and my treatment, they did say I could go to mediation but I felt it was in my best interest and health just to give my months notice at the end of the school term, stating I would not be taking up the new employment contract in Feb 2015 as did my Assistant. Neither of us have had any formal contact to say that they have received it. I did make sure that my Assistant got a copy of my reference for her and that I would be happy to speak to anyone she needed to give my details to, so I know she is well covered on that front.

Never in all my years working have I worked for such a poorly run programme, over my 2 years there I have at least managed to get it up to speed on the running and procedural side of things. I was half way there to getting the finance side sorted but the standards required are not something the main Committee understand or want to go forward with and Government Departments are not really that interested in making sure that requirements are met, it will be able to run non compliant for... oh I don't know another 8 years like it was before I started there so I won't hold my breath.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Traditionally they do an exit interview but I suppose it depends on the employer.
had 3 employers here and never had one of those, maybe they were glad to see me go
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
had 3 employers here and never had one of those, maybe they were glad to see me go
I don't think it is all that common?

It seems to me that it could be a good thing though, if it is designed in a constructive way and not just a vehicle to vent for a disgruntled employee. I have personally had informal chats, along the lines of an exit interview with any of my crew, but not in a formal corporate style.