British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Residency conditions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/residency-conditions-369137/)

marcimai Apr 22nd 2006 3:46 pm

Residency conditions

Hi, hoping someone can help. We've just received permanent residence under the skilled migrants category (my husband is a mechanical engineer). We're hoping to settle in the New Plymouth area and will be leaving the UK in July. OH hasn't got any job lined up as we're hoping to have a couple of months off once we arrive. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you need to earn a certain amount ($45k?) just wondered if this is correct. If so, do NZIS actually check up to see if you are earning this much?

Also, what if OH can't find work in this field, he is perfectly happy to do pretty much anything, but is this allowed? Would it only affect us for when we come to apply for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.

CWEMM02 Apr 22nd 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Residency conditions

Originally Posted by marcimai
Hi, hoping someone can help. We've just received permanent residence under the skilled migrants category (my husband is a mechanical engineer). We're hoping to settle in the New Plymouth area and will be leaving the UK in July. OH hasn't got any job lined up as we're hoping to have a couple of months off once we arrive. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you need to earn a certain amount ($45k?) just wondered if this is correct. If so, do NZIS actually check up to see if you are earning this much?

Also, what if OH can't find work in this field, he is perfectly happy to do pretty much anything, but is this allowed? Would it only affect us for when we come to apply for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.

The only amount you need to earn is the amount you will need to live on, whatever that amount is for you. Earning a certain amount of income is not a condition of residence or continued residence. No one is going to ask you for your tax return.

What work you do does not impact your application for citizenship.

I am curious why you have identified these points. Can you tell me where you are getting your information from?

marcimai Apr 22nd 2006 6:08 pm

I'm sure I've read on this forum (or another) about the minimum income requirement, maybe this is just for work permits or something.

I was worried about finding engineering work, as we've been looking for some time online for engineering opportunities and have only ever found the one job in New Plymouth. All positions seem to be in Auckland, but we would prefer to be somewhere abit more rural. Presumably if we've claimed points for engineering work experience/qualifications, you have to work in that area once you're in NZ.

CWEMM02 Apr 22nd 2006 6:35 pm

I'm sure I've read on this forum (or another) about the minimum income requirement, maybe this is just for work permits or something.

I was worried about finding engineering work, as we've been looking for some time online for engineering opportunities and have only ever found the one job in New Plymouth. All positions seem to be in Auckland, but we would prefer to be somewhere abit more rural. Presumably if we've claimed points for engineering work experience/qualifications, you have to work in that area once you're in NZ.

If your a permanent resident your a permanent resident. You are not an indentured servant who has to work at a particular job. The purpose of the NZIS in asking you about your education, work experience, professional credentials is to be sure that you will be a contributor to the NZ society and economy. If you have received PR without a job offer, than the NZIS officer has already assessed you and you are free to do as you wish.

Biddy Apr 22nd 2006 7:58 pm

There is no minimum wage you're expected to earn. As has been pointed out above, you need to earn enough to live on. 45k is a popular figure thrown around as a guide. Some will earn more than this and others less.

As for the skilled migrant category - up until a couple of months before arriving here I too thought that you had to find work in your 'skilled' area - not so - once you've got PR you can do anything from be a brain surgeon to flip burgers in McD's!

Burger flippin' for me then!

trippy t Apr 25th 2006 6:44 pm

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I think the $45,000 you may be reading/hearing about, is referring to the amount needed to qualify for a work-to-residence visa. If you are unable to get PR through the skilled migrant category & your job is only on the immediate skills shortage list(like ours) then you can apply for WTR under the TALENT (accredited employers section). The rules of this roughly state you have to get a job offer from a company on the accredited list & be paid a minimum of $45,000 pa for 2 years with the same employer(ideally) then you can apply for residence.

From what I've gathered if you have PR when you arrive you can do whatever job you like! Or if you got it based on a specific job offer then you may have to stay in that job for only 3 months then you can do what you like.....either way ...its all good!!

Goodluck!

trippy t :)