British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Republicanism in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/republicanism-nz-673094/)

THR Jun 19th 2010 2:20 pm

Republicanism in NZ

At the risk of stirring up the hornet's nest I'm still going ahead with my question about your country as to if it were possible to have a similar kind of republican referendum as that of in Australia in 1999. I have often wondered in cases of countries like NZ, Australia and Canada whether the nominated governor-general is somehow viewed by the people as a kind of president and therefore people are not that bothered about the details that he/she only acts as a representative to the British monarch who resides 10000 or so miles away.

The very idea of monarchy in this day and age really has something very anachronistic about it and maybe that is exactly its charm. I wouldn't mind there being a king/queen paid for by the tax-payers but the sheer number of other associated people is astonishing.

As for countries like NZ, does it really not bother anyone that people entering public office must swear an oath of allegiance to an elderly woman living 10000 miles away?

lardyl Jun 19th 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Republicanism in NZ

Some people get really annoyed by it, particularly those with "historical grievances", but many NZers don't as their roots are within countries that have the queen as head of state and I suppose they take it for granted as such.

I'm not a massive fan of the monarchy but given the options I'm not sure that a president would be better. I think that a stable monarchy with limited powers is better than some presidents we all could think of......;)

Justcol Jun 21st 2010 12:01 am

I would think if a referendum were held it would be in favour of keeping things as they are.
Almost every kiwi, including maori, that i know is very proud of their ancestry and heritage.
Its a liitle strange talking to a tattooed maori as he is telling you he is part of the McGreggor clan
or another lady who says her links go back Queen Anne!! (not sure i belive that one)
They are the ones telling me about their family ties to the uk and i feel that would be shown
if a referendum were held.

Wooly_Cow Jun 21st 2010 3:31 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8645412)
I would think if a referendum were held it would be in favour of keeping things as they are.
Almost every kiwi, including maori, that i know is very proud of their ancestry and heritage.

Spot on. Although there is healthy debate, especially about the flag, most Kiwi's are happy to have a Queen. I reckon NZ might change it's flag in a decade or so, but will remain a proud part of the Commonwealth.

Robbie2010 Jun 21st 2010 5:45 am

They may be happy with the Queen ... but I'm not sure they'll be so happy when Chas takes over.

P.S.

NZ can still be part of the Commonwealth without having the Queen as head of state.

THR Jun 21st 2010 10:44 pm

Perhaps the old adage: "If it ain't broken don't fix it" applies in this case very well.

Yotty Jun 21st 2010 11:18 pm

Won't be Chas taking over .. probably William!:)

Robbie2010 Jun 21st 2010 11:25 pm

The only way Willie gets to be King is when Chas dies!

hazeandsteve Jun 22nd 2010 6:07 am

I think he may have a closer grasp of the common man's feelings than you give him credit for Robbie.

JAJ Jun 24th 2010 3:43 am

Originally Posted by THR (Post 8643003)
At the risk of stirring up the hornet's nest I'm still going ahead with my question about your country as to if it were possible to have a similar kind of republican referendum as that of in Australia in 1999. I have often wondered in cases of countries like NZ, Australia and Canada whether the nominated governor-general is somehow viewed by the people as a kind of president and therefore people are not that bothered about the details that he/she only acts as a representative to the British monarch who resides 10000 or so miles away.

The Governor General represents the Queen of New Zealand, not the British monarch.

hazeandsteve Jun 24th 2010 9:08 am

Do you get bored easily THR?
Torture animals as a child?
I just had a look at your profile, and whilst unwilling to give anything more than the bare minimum of personal info, your started posts bring to mind a picture of Calvin (Hobbes?) sticking a stick into a hornets nest to see what will happen.

Note to all.....don't waste your time replying.:p

THR Jun 24th 2010 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8653678)
Do you get bored easily THR?
Torture animals as a child?
I just had a look at your profile, and whilst unwilling to give anything more than the bare minimum of personal info, your started posts bring to mind a picture of Calvin (Hobbes?) sticking a stick into a hornets nest to see what will happen.

Note to all.....don't waste your time replying.:p

No I didn't torture animals when I was a child. "Stirring up a hornet's nest" is a figure of sppech.

What exactly is your own problem?

martyc Jun 24th 2010 2:56 pm

Now now children!:frown:

Yotty Jun 25th 2010 11:24 am

Peace to all... it's so easy to get the wrong end of the stick on the net ..:)

mickey_d Jun 26th 2010 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 8645719)
They may be happy with the Queen ... but I'm not sure they'll be so happy when Chas takes over.

I'm sure they will, his birthday will give a nice spring holiday weekend;)