British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Repatriated Kiwi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/repatriated-kiwi-910672/)

kiwigirlinalain Mar 21st 2018 6:32 am

Repatriated Kiwi

Just wondering if there are any Kiwis out there who have recently repatriated. We have arrived back in NZ after 11 years overseas and struggling a bit. It would be nice to hook up with others going through the same.

KOH2 Mar 22nd 2018 8:51 pm

Re: Repatriated Kiwi

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain (Post 12466934)
Just wondering if there are any Kiwis out there who have recently repatriated. We have arrived back in NZ after 11 years overseas and struggling a bit. It would be nice to hook up with others going through the same.

Hi kiwigirlinalain, I totally empathise - I'm not a Kiwi but married to one. We moved from the UK to Wanganui 16 months ago and I went into complete culture shock (totally over it now & loving it here) and my husband also struggled a bit after being away from NZ for over 22 years.

Whereabouts are you and where have you moved from? The most important thing is to take things slowly and give yourself plenty of time to adjust (if you can do that). Don't be too hard on yourself. You'll get there I'm sure. You can PM if you need a sympathetic ear. Take care and enjoy your day.

kiwigirlinalain Mar 23rd 2018 1:46 am

We’re not anywhere at the moment. We’re taking a year out to travel around NZ in a caravan and also housesitting. In Wellington for a couple fo weeks then heading to Waitara. Thanks for those words of support 😍!

KOH2 Mar 23rd 2018 3:06 am

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain (Post 12468251)
We’re not anywhere at the moment. We’re taking a year out to travel around NZ in a caravan and also housesitting.

Wow !!! A whole year to reconnect with your culture/country - that is so cool !!!

Thanks for those words of support 😍!

You're welcome:) Don't feel bad about struggling with the realities of NZ. I'd have problems if I were to go back to my own home country. Unfortunately once you've expanded your horizons it's hard to accept some differences that were not apparent before you left but you also appreciate the good things from your culture more. Just the way it is. Enjoy your travels and hopefully you'll feel more settled at the end of it.

carcajou Mar 24th 2018 9:21 am

I know many, many Kiwis who, returning to New Zealand after time abroad, have had trouble fitting back in. It's not unusual at all that you are going through this.

I am of two minds about what you are doing now. Touring the country could be contributing to your feelings as it's preventing you from settling and developing a new routine with a new peer group. Though if you are able to use this time to perhaps discover parts of the country you haven't explored before, it could lead to new insights that could be better for you down the road (ie, you love Place X and decide to settle there etc).

Good luck. But what you are experiencing is normal.

Princess_Buttercup Mar 24th 2018 11:44 am

Originally from Wellies, moved to middle of nowhere East Midlands, then to Bucks so I could commute into London for work. Hubby has been offered and accepted a job at Otago so we'll be heading over to Dunners by June time. Should be fun! We've been away for almost a decade so should be interesting. Do you have whanau in Waitara?

MrsCakey Mar 28th 2018 2:50 am

We’re not anywhere at the moment. We’re taking a year out to travel around NZ in a caravan and also housesitting. In Wellington for a couple fo weeks then heading to Waitara. Thanks for those words of support 😍!

If you end up in the Bay of Plenty, let me know. Always happy to meet up with a repatexpat for tea and cake :)

escapedtonz Mar 29th 2018 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MrsCakey (Post 12471546)
If you end up in the Bay of Plenty, let me know. Always happy to meet up with a repatexpat for tea and cake :)

You so need to visit The Whipped Baker cafe at the Historic Village MrsCakey 😂

MrsCakey Mar 29th 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12472431)
You so need to visit The Whipped Baker cafe at the Historic Village MrsCakey 😂

Already been! This isn't my first rodeo.

jmh Apr 29th 2018 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain (Post 12466934)

I was away for 24 years and returned in 2011. I was lucky enough to be able to go back for a visit in 2012 and it cemented the view that I had made the right choice. I reminded myself that it took around 5 years to settle into the UK, so expect a similar amount of time to settle back here after so long away - YMMV.

I find that reminding myself why I chose to come back helps - seeing family in real life, not on facebook, buying an affordable house with a garden, starting a business and generally more laid back approach to life. To be honest, some of those things I could have got if I had moved outside of London, and I would recommend Brits to consider that option.

I love the UK, but the negatives have overcome the positives for me at the age of 50+. I won't go back for good, but when I become a Bitcoin millionaire :fingerscrossed::p I might holiday there long term - my brother, his wife and children live there so I could go for a visit and shopping spree. Might be taking my mum for visit next year, so will go with an empty suitcase. :lol:

Contact me if you need to chat - I'm in Auckland but could do Skype.