Renting in NZ

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Renting in NZ

I just wondered when renting what costs are you responsible for? In Aus you dont pay rates/water is this the same in NZ?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Renting in NZ

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
I just wondered when renting what costs are you responsible for? In Aus you dont pay rates/water is this the same in NZ?
hi jacky g here....we don't pay rates,but have to pay water,i think most people would be the same with rentals....we have to maintain the pool as well..we came in july so only had 1 water bill which was about $150,but as i've said that was maintaining the pool as well.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

Hi, I think it may depend on where you live, in the Hutt Valley water is included in rates and rates is included in the rental.

So we only pay for electric (no gas) and phone bills. We had to pay a $150 bond on our first electricity bill as we have no credit history in NZ. I think you get this back after 12 months if you are a good customer and pay on time.

We also had to pay about $49 connection fee for the phone and more for set up costs if having broadband.

It is worth asking up front about whats included etc.

Also if possible get a periodic tenancy (21 days notice) rather than fixing for 6/12/18 months. It gives you more flexability if you are looking to buy or decide you don't like the area.

Zoe
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:15 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Here in Christchurch we don't pay for water either, it's part of the council rates which tenants don't pay directly for. That's the landlord's call as how he/she wants to factor the council rates into the price of his/her rental. However, utilities are the tenant's responsibility. Garden upkeep may be paid by the landlord or you may be responsible, ask the landlord.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Very good answers. I would also add, that you will want to allocate a good amount of time to finding an appropriate rental. We were trying to find jobs and do everything at the same time. I then just sad to OH, that we needed to focus on housing. We found it quite depressing as the price did not reflect the amenities of the home.

You must work it so you get a periodic tenancy. We negotiated on that and agreed to a shorter term fixed tenancy with a periodic tenancy commencing at the conclusion of the fixed term.

I would never rent again and especially from the landlord we have. I spend more on toothpaste each year than he does on maintenance. I love his answering message on his phone. It says (not a direct quote) if you have received this message your phone number has been blocked. You wil not be able to leave a message, call back again after you number has been unblocked or when I will answer the phone. It would be nice if these guys could provide references.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:27 am
Just Joined

nzewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a couple of pointers from our experience of renting (6 months in Sumner). We were told that the costs were roughly $100 per week per bedroom, although that could depend on the area etc. And we learned from experience that you should check on the heating in the rental. Try and look around on a cold rainy day if poss and ask what heating is available. Even in summer it can be really cold and electric heaters can be really expensive to run.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

We only pay for our metered water and not our waste water charges.
We have had a bad experience renting and now rent a managed property with an agent so hopefully that will be better this time round.
As rent is weekly here dont forget some months will be 5 weeks.
Quality here is also very mixed and some areas you will find yourself competing with other families leaving the landlord to choose who they prefer!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, but there is much more property on the rental market now than there was a few years ago and not so many people after it. The high prices are making people think twice about moving and things are slowing down.
Tenants are getting fussy about what they rent.